Author Topic: Weekly Fangame Interviews - Fifth Week: Pieceofcheese87  (Read 1368 times)

Aronax

• Wannabe
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 56.0.2924.87 Chrome 56.0.2924.87
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Weekly Fangame Interviews - Fifth Week: Pieceofcheese87
« on: March 06, 2017, 01:16:44 PM »
Before we start, I just want to remind everyone that starting this week, the questions after the main few are going to be more unique to that person instead of having them all the same like before. Enjoy.

In today's interview, I am going to be talking to Pieceofcheese87 (also known as Piece), we discuss multiple things like game making and the process of Cultured 2 and he even gives some tips for beginners. Piece has been playing fangames for a long time (most likely being one of the oldest members of our community) and is still active and making games to this day. He is (like most people at this point) one of the nicest people to talk to and is always there to answer any questions regarding fangames. Enjoy the interview guys!

Aronax: Hey Piece, thanks for taking the time for me to interview you! So first question, is there a history to your username and is it related to fangames in any way?

Piece: I wish I had an interesting reason behind it, but my case is basically the same as Stinkycheese where my 10 year old mind decided on the first thing that came to mind. I think I even misspelled it as "peice" at first. And no, the number 87 does not mean anything.

Aronax: That is funny, so is there a reason why your name is so similar to Stonks?

Piece: It's a complete coincidence, but yeah we think alike in a lot of ways.

Aronax: Yeah its very strange. So more about the past, what age did you start playing fangames and why did you start playing them?

Piece: It's hard to say but I found IWBTG at 9 years old probably. I didn't find out about fangames until a year later but I wanted to try them because I thought the original was so entertaining. Appropriately my first fangame was I wanna be the Fangame.

Aronax: Already answered my next question, Fangame is a real classic for sure! So since you are one of the oldest members of this community, do you have any tips that may help new players who want to get into fangames?

Piece: Well in my mind there are two ways to get into fangames. If you want to play fangames and get good at them, there are plenty of resources available. Patrick's introduction page is a great place to start for beginner fangames. The community is also always willing to answer questions someone has about fangame mechanics whether on the forums or the discord. The other way to get into fangames is to become a creator. Klazen has an amazing tutorial for game maker and we have a special gamemaking channel in our discord for answering questions. This community is special because you can instantly get recognised and have a reputation from making a good game. sorry for long message.

Aronax: Long messages are the best anyway, so keep that going! Since we are on the topic of creating fangames, that is also something you have been doing for a long time, do you have any personal advice in that aspect?

Piece: My advice for aspiring fangame creators is not to get too ambitious for your first project. Planning a super long adventure game can overwhelm you and not work out great. And don't be demoralised if your games don't get good reviews, we can always learn from what we do wrong. This is coming from someone who made several disaster fangames before I made something remotely enjoyable. (The first time Paragus played Make a Sandwich, he quit on the first stage and yelled at me!).

Aronax: Good ol' Paragus! so with your long history of created fangames, and one of those being Cultured 2,  what was the process for a game that big and were you happy with the final result?

Piece: I could write a novel on the entire process of cultured 2, but in brief it was a mess. It's by far the biggest project i've been a part of and it took a full 2+ years to complete. It started out as just me and Paragus as cultured 1 was, but we gradually started recruiting more people to work on the game. We used Trello to organise everything that had to be done and the "Bugs" list was a mile long at one point. If it wasn't for Klazen working his ass off to fix all the bugs, I don't even know if the game would be finished today. And yes, I am very happy with the result.

Piece: And for my fellow cultured 2 devs, How's it going?

Aronax: Yeah Klazen is a champ, always there to help! So again relating back to the fangames you have made, what game are you most proud of and why do I have a feeling its Cultured 2 :)

Piece: Of course i'm very proud of Cultured 2, it's a miracle we finished it. For projects I made alone, I'm most proud of Jungle Adventure.

Aronax: How could you not be, Jungle Adventure is an incredible game! And what would you say are your favourite fangames outside of your own creations?

Piece: Zanto's games (IDWBA1 and 2) are high up there as some of the most memorable games i've played to date. Find my destiny is a super well polished adventure game, and I wanna classic is full of variety and weirdness. I also love I wanna get Rekt.

Aronax: Good choices, so second to last question, FM 2017 is coming soon, will you have any role in it this year or are you thinking about running anything?

Piece: Of course, how could I not. I'm planning on doing a run of IDWBA1 which should take give or take 3.5 hours. I may also volunteer on the tech crew and may or may not be working on something special.

Aronax: Oh that sounds interesting, would love to watch a IDWBA1 run and something special you say, I have a guess but I won't give it away! So the last and best question, would you rather fight 1 horse sized Geezer, or 100 duck sized Geezer's?

Piece: Funny thing about Geezer and horses, he worked on Make a Sandwich for a short while and inserted some horses into my game and gave them a funny sound effect. Anyway I would fight the horse geezer because the 100 duck geezers would throw their gigantic clear lists at me.

Aronax: What an amazing reason, so before ending the interview, do you have anything you want to say to the community?

Piece: Blue cheese is disgusting.

Aronax: Agreed, thanks again for the interview!

Piece: NP thanks for having me!

Thanks again for the interview Piece, if you want to find him, here are his links:
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/pieceofcheese87
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Cheesymcgee
Speedrun: https://www.speedrun.com/user/pieceofcheese87
Discord: pieceofcheese87#8241
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 01:43:59 PM by Aronax »
Don't ask me to test bosses. It will always be a no.

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Fangame Interviews - Fifth Week: Pieceofcheese87
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 06:20:19 PM »
Blue cheese really is disgusting. Thanks for keeping up with the interviews!

Aronax

• Wannabe
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Fangame Interviews - Fifth Week: Pieceofcheese87
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 10:17:21 AM »
Blue cheese really is disgusting. Thanks for keeping up with the interviews!
Thanks for enjoying them Kyir!
Don't ask me to test bosses. It will always be a no.