Author Topic: Undiscovered Challenge 100 Trials skips?  (Read 3261 times)

geogeo222

• Global Moderator
  • Wannabe
  • Hello o/
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 50.0.2661.94 Chrome 50.0.2661.94
    • View Profile
    • My twitch stream
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Undiscovered Challenge 100 Trials skips?
« on: May 05, 2016, 01:59:27 AM »
Having been aware of one or two well-known hidden skips in Challenge 100 trials, I decided to decompile the game and root around the gmk for more. As it turns out, there are 11 such skips, all of them before floor 60, many of them allowing you to completely bypass entire screens, and most are quite easy to pull off.

[Update!: After counting the skip Stalkor found, and 3 more I discovered today while looking around some more, the total count of hidden skips is now 15. I've updated the imgur linked below album to include these. I think it's really awesome that these were included, so thanks to AquaWaddledee for all the care and time he took to make a game with so many interesting skips and fast strats that really add to this game's appeal, especially in a speedrun.]

As far as I know, only a few of these were known. I took a look at Nogard's 32 minute world record video, and he only partly makes use of a single one of them, and his run wasn't perfect so I'm thinking that sub-30 should be quite achievable with these new skips. I estimate they will save about 2 [update: ~3] minutes combined.

Here's a link to an album containing screens of all the skips: https://imgur.com/a/Si79j

The skips are really well-hidden, so I'm not surprised they remained unknown for such a long time. There's no way of detecting them in-game at all until you're inside of them, and even to take a quick glance at all the rooms in gamemaker isn't likely to reveal any of them, since large chunks of blocks are spawned from a single block object with x_ and y_scale arguments placed in the top left of each chunk, so hidden passages aren't readily visible by looking at gaps in blocks, and the fade-away sprites that cover them in game also appear over everything else in the room editor. I was able to find most of them by finding the matching skip to each of these sprites, but some don't have a fade away sprite, and finding these was an especially tedious process that involved mousing over each block object and seeing where they end, or looking for extra block objects that would denote an extra space.

For anyone who's salty about me finding them this way, I can only say that I don't see decompiling at all as an act of disrespect, and also I honestly don't think there's any more value in having people find them 'organically' by spending their time hugging walls and jumping into spikes. It doesn't take anything admirable to find them that way, only meaningless extra patience for wasting one's own time. But thanks again to Aqua for including them and making this already great game even more special.

If you want to check the gmk to see them for yourself and how they work, I've attached a Gamemaker 8.x decompiler for your convenience. Just drag+drop the game exe onto this exe.
[update: "Attachments" folder on the forum is apparently out of space, so I can't link this anymore. :MVGame: ]

Happy speedgaming :wixSanic: and a nice congrats in advance to anyone who manages to get the sub-30 sub-28!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 04:33:42 AM by geogeo222 »
Hey TJ! Turn it up :Kappa:

Wolsk

• The Kid
  • Wolsky McKitty :3
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: Undiscovered Challenge 100 Trials skips?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 09:22:22 AM »
Woah, that's actually really cool.  This kinda stuff should be in more fangames.
meow :3

Why are you complaining about being a meme? this is a positive thing

Onynekyu

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 07:03:09 PM »
wow, nice work ! I only know 1 or 2 skips, but i didn't expect a lot of skips

stalkor

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 47.0 Firefox 47.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 01:49:25 PM »
found another skip on floor 61 :D

geogeo222

• Global Moderator
  • Wannabe
  • Hello o/
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 54.0.2840.99 Chrome 54.0.2840.99
    • View Profile
    • My twitch stream
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 01:51:29 AM »
I've updated the original post with some info on 3 new skips I found, and the skip stalkor found!
Hey TJ! Turn it up :Kappa:

Wolfiexe

• Wannabe
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2012 Windows 8.1/Server 2012
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 56.0.2924.87 Chrome 56.0.2924.87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 10:28:24 PM »
These are actually really cool. It's the kind of thing I'd see in a speedrun and be like wow I never knew all these hidden paths existed! Makes runs of it a bit more charming than just playing through a game aiming to die as little as possible or taking harder routes.  :atkLove: