Author Topic: V-string aligns  (Read 2159 times)

Destructor Destroyer

• Wannabe
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 45.0 Firefox 45.0
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
V-string aligns
« on: April 19, 2016, 09:41:14 PM »
What exactly are v-string aligns i know about aligns in general and count them/using them on jumps to make them easier but im not sure what a v-string align is im guessing its vertical string align so gravity affects your jump and how you preform each jump?

lawatson

• The Kid
  • I do things and I make things.
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 50.0.2661.75 Chrome 50.0.2661.75
    • View Profile
Re: V-string aligns
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 10:24:54 PM »
The first thing I'll say is that needle players think valigns and v-strings are different things.

Basically, valigns are your decimal place value for your vertical position. This almost never affects your jump except for in midair, where you can possibly be 1 pixel lower or higher at a certain frame. This applies for 4.5 jumps, the Leehe triple diamond, and bunnyhops in general. Usually this doesn't matter.

Vstrings are your general vertical position and speed required to make a jump easier or harder. A good example is squishing into a 21px high horizontal gap. Because of how gamemaker makes your vertical position "jump" based on speed and not interpolate or slide it, in most cases you will go over or under the gap even though logically you should have gone inside. The way to get inside is to jump for a different number of frames and basically toy around with your vertical position until you find the correct way to get yourself exactly into the gap. It's pretty precise, so I'll leave the details to a future commenter. This was just supposed to be an overview.
(click to show/hide)

smoke weed everyday

TvPvZ

• Wannabe
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.112 Chrome 49.0.2623.112
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 09:07:49 PM »
Above reply got valign(or vertical subpixel) right, you don't generally need to worry about it except for bunny hops or certain aids jumps. Vertical subpixel position isn't usually relevant to vstring except in certain needle aids jumps.

Vstrings are strings of vertical positions. Best demonstration of this is vstring tricks, like here.

Just fall off and hold left on any of these jumps, and you won't hit spikes. Fangames run at 50fps, and it's tied to the physics. The kid never touches the spike in any of those frames, even though it looks like you should move right into the spike.

There's all sorts of uses for vstring magic. The simplest are those 2, 4, 7 block tricks in that image. There's a lot more situations where you can use vstring tricks though.

Denferok

• Community Manager
  • The Kid
  • Administrator
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 50.0.2661.94 Chrome 50.0.2661.94
    • View Profile
    • My stream
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 01:18:56 AM »
Vstrings are the same as normal aligns except vertical instead. Just like normal aligns you can change the align but instead of using walls you jump at different heights. Try to not use the valign term as it means multiple things and is rarely applicable