Author Topic: New to fangames- Computer doesn't start some?  (Read 1765 times)

Cucumberflant

• Wannabe
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2012 Windows 8.1/Server 2012
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 47.0.2526.111 Chrome 47.0.2526.111
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
New to fangames- Computer doesn't start some?
« on: January 23, 2016, 09:15:39 PM »
Hey all. So I recently started playing a few fangames after watching a bunch of other people play them, and I've got a bit of an issue. Various fangames just don't ever start up on my computer >_> whether they do or not is consistent (I have never had an issue with 3200min starting up, but Genki has yet to start a single time), and I have to restart Windows Explorer each time because it just freezes up afterwards. I thought it was just an issue with "I wanna be GENKI with you", but then I tried "Not another magic tower game" and I'm getting the same lack of game.

I have windows 8 (although I'm set to update to 10 soon-ish), and I read + tried the "stop windows 8 from crashing your games" but it seems to be a different problem from what I've been having anyways.

So, uh, yeah. I've also checked my drivers just because that's a simple computer error thing that can happen, they're all fine... help :( I want to play more games and I'd rather not fish through a list just trying to find one that I both like -and- actually works.

Games that have worked:
3200min
NANG
I wanna see the cherry blossom

Haven't:
I wanna be genki with you
not another magic tower game

Bit of a small sample size, yeah, but I'd really like to play at least one of those two games that are being dumb. And I doubt it's going to go away by itself, so might as well find a solution early >_>

Umm, other stuff that might help... I've never gotten an issue when downloading, everything seems fine right until I try to launch them.

Right, that's all I got. If anybody knows anything, that'd be pretty cool. Ask me if I'm not mentioning something important.

(Also, sorry if I put this in the wrong spot, I looked around the forums a bit and this seemed like the best subforum to post this in.)

Syd

• Cherry Eater
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 43.0 Firefox 43.0
    • View Profile
Re: New to fangames- Computer doesn't start some?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 03:52:18 AM »
that's really strange, never heard of a similar issue. Does anythin else happen besides the explorer freezing? Maybe you could try using a different explorer than the standard one. I personally use FreeCommander. Doing a system file check could also help.
If nothing else works, upgrading to Windows 10 might be a worth a try.

Ataosama

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 43.0 Firefox 43.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 06:39:29 AM »
I had a similar problem, do you use avast ?

Cucumberflant

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 47.0.2526.111 Chrome 47.0.2526.111
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 03:08:53 PM »
I had a similar problem, do you use avast ?

Yeah, I do. Is that what's buggering things? It's not telling me it's blocking anything that looks safe (I know I've had issues with Avast moving certain files to its virus chest without telling me which screwed things up in the past, but that's not happening with this.)

that's really strange, never heard of a similar issue. Does anythin else happen besides the explorer freezing? Maybe you could try using a different explorer than the standard one. I personally use FreeCommander. Doing a system file check could also help.
If nothing else works, upgrading to Windows 10 might be a worth a try.

Nothing really happens other than Windows Explorer breaking. Well, the cursor acts like it's trying to load something whenever I mouse over a folder screen (but nothing ever happens; I even waited overnight once, so it's not just slow) and I stop being able to close out of it or open new folders/move around in the current one.

I'll try that file check and explorer alternative, gonna see if that gives any insight / works.

Oh, and I also thought of something mildly important >_> Right now I'm at college with my laptop, but previously at home over break I was able to get GENKI to work with my other computer, which was windows 7. But that also has Avast, so... yeah. But yes I will try those things today.

Edit: :O the scan thing worked! It said a few files were corrupted, honestly couldn't pick out the details from that clustermess of a notepad document it threw at me, but hey everything is working. ('Course my potato of a computer REALLY hates genki, but that's something I (and it) can live with~)

Thanks for the help <3
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 04:22:10 PM by Cucumberflant »