Author Topic: All Fangame Engine Differences  (Read 2827 times)

Destructor Destroyer

• Wannabe
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 43.0 Firefox 43.0
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
All Fangame Engine Differences
« on: January 23, 2016, 09:55:06 AM »
I was wondering i wanted to start making a fangame that was difficult and fun to play but im not sure which engine to start with. My first question is what is the difference between each engines what do they each contain for them to be different. My second question is which is the best engine for me to start with to make a decent needle game unlike other trash ive seen on the wiki. My third question is what does a "standard" engine give me. For example does it give me the kid sprite/object, save blockers and saves. Thanks for your help whoever reads this and replys your help is most appreciated.

infern0man1

• ~(=^・ω・^)ψ
  • Global Moderator
  • Oatmeal Killer
  • Dear sir stroke madam, fire exclamation point
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 47.0.2526.111 Chrome 47.0.2526.111
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: All Fangame Engine Differences
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 11:53:59 AM »
My first question is what is the difference between each engines what do they each contain for them to be different.

There are some differences in the physics between most engines; for example, ねころん's engine and many of the other engines on the wiki have a glitch where you full jump if you 1-frame in water. There are also different "standard" objects in each engine: some engines have gravity flippers, while others don't. You'd just have to look what each engine has already.

My second question is which is the best engine for me to start with to make a decent needle game unlike other trash ive seen on the wiki.

I personally like Lemon's engine the best, although yuuutu and Nikaple's engines are also perfectly fine from what I've seen.

My third question is what does a "standard" engine give me.

Once again, it depends on the engine; the few things that are in common among all engines are: the player sprite/object and anything that relates with the player (bow, bullet, etc.), spikes/cherries, save points, warps, and system objects that run the game. Pretty much everything found in the average fangame, especially needle, is found in an engine.

Hop

• Wannabe
  • HopPros on Twitch
  • Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mac OS X 10.9.5
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 12:33:26 PM »
I would recommend yoyo's studio engine. It has a lot of good notes throughout the code that can help you understand how things work as well as a good arsenal of pre-built gimmicks and items to make things easier. I started my first game on it 4-5 months ago and have learned a lot.

Habluka

• Wannabe
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 10:23:41 AM »
If you use Yuuutu's engine, make sure you fix the player object's step event because he broke it in a recent update and now 1 framing makes you full jump.