Author Topic: I would like to ask some few questions about Private Fangames.  (Read 2032 times)

Kiritsuku

• Wannabe
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 47.0.2526.111 Chrome 47.0.2526.111
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
I would like to ask some few questions about Private Fangames.
« on: January 17, 2016, 06:10:34 PM »
Greetings.

First, I have to emphasize it that i'm a beginner of the guy fangames, i've been playing it just for a month. And I actually didn't even beat ten of them. Well, although i'm new, i have noticed that some problems about private games are a sensitive issue. That is why I am trying to ask about it very carefully, so please do not blame me because of this post.
I know it is a fundamental rule of the fangame community, to not mention anything about private games, and of course not distributing any of them, yet i am posting this just because of my curiosity.

First of all, I can not understand why game developers delete a game download link, even though they already distributed it to others. I mean, they didn't wanted to keep their game forever as private, or just share with some specific people. At first it was completely distributed by themselves, but why they suddenly deleting it? For what reason? I should really ask this, I guess that most of private fangames weren't 'private' before. Because some of them have been famous.

The next and a last question, why it became a very sensitive issue to mention and to distribute the private fangames? Is this because of the copyright? I meant, the copyright proprietor of the whole fangames is a creator who made 'I wanna be the guy'. Isn't it?

Well, I am really apologizing and thanks to everyone who've read this, should it causes a problem, I am going to delete this post as soon as possible. And I wish you all could understand this post clearly. Sorry that my english sucks.

Denferok

• Community Manager
  • The Kid
  • Administrator
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • My stream
Re: I would like to ask some few questions about Private Fangames.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 06:12:56 PM »
Usually because the creator is unhappy with the game and doesn't want it played

Derf

• Wannabe
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 43.0 Firefox 43.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 07:49:54 PM »
I know it is a fundamental rule of the fangame community, to not mention anything about private games, and of course not distributing any of them, yet i am posting this just because of my curiosity.
It's fine to talk about them, some streamers might not like it, but in general I've never seen anyone told off for talking about them. Though distributing them is somewhat contentious yeah.

First of all, I can not understand why game developers delete a game download link, even though they already distributed it to others. I mean, they didn't wanted to keep their game forever as private, or just share with some specific people. At first it was completely distributed by themselves, but why they suddenly deleting it? For what reason? I should really ask this, I guess that most of private fangames weren't 'private' before. Because some of them have been famous.
Den answered this pretty succinctly. Some are private from the get go. And some are only distributed as betas to friends and never make it to a release.

The next and a last question, why it became a very sensitive issue to mention and to distribute the private fangames? Is this because of the copyright? I meant, the copyright proprietor of the whole fangames is a creator who made 'I wanna be the guy'. Isn't it?
No. It's just common courtesy. If someone no longer wants a game distributed then why would you defy them? It's not illegal and most private fangames can be obtained behind closed doors anyway. It's not to do with copyright.

Kiritsuku

• Wannabe
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 04:55:52 AM »
It's fine to talk about them, some streamers might not like it, but in general I've never seen anyone told off for talking about them. Though distributing them is somewhat contentious yeah.

Den answered this pretty succinctly. Some are private from the get go. And some are only distributed as betas to friends and never make it to a release.

No. It's just common courtesy. If someone no longer wants a game distributed then why would you defy them? It's not illegal and most private fangames can be obtained behind closed doors anyway. It's not to do with copyright.
Ok, thanks for your comment