Author Topic: I Wanna Break The Millenia  (Read 3330 times)

Guitarsage

• Wannabe
  • Personal Text
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 40.0 Firefox 40.0
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
I Wanna Break The Millenia
« on: September 29, 2015, 01:25:26 PM »
A game that me and Skulldude (Who didn't make any stages in it because he didn't know how to use gamemaker, but did choose the music and planned out the currently nonexistent stages and story) made. Skulldude abandoned it because I left the community in the middle of it, and I probably won't work on this again unless multiple people ask me to. I will, however take criticisms and make changes to it if I decide to work on it more rather than just start another game.

https://www.mediafire.com/download/t54wflezz3r3g7g/I+Wanna+Break+the+Millenia.zip

There are 17 screens, and there is an impossible jump on the last screen that I didn't fix in this version of the game, but it doesn't affect your ability to beat it

(I acknowledge that this is a pretty under-average game, but I figured I may as well put it here since there's no point in it rotting alone)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:48:02 PM by Guitarsage »
Signature

TOKETMEK

• Cherry Eater
  • lolgamer in other forums, and kakoka1pro on twitch
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.101 Chrome 45.0.2454.101
    • View Profile
Re: I Wanna Break The Millenia
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 03:08:51 PM »
I geniunely have no clue how to get past this screen.
(click to show/hide)

Guitarsage

• Wannabe
  • Personal Text
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 03:13:50 PM »
I geniunely have no clue how to get past this screen.
(click to show/hide)

It's the last screen, which is why you can't get past it. Sorry about that.
Signature

Derf

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 04:55:32 PM »
I'll leave some criticism here. I know you're not working on this anymore but hopefully it can be constructive in your next projects:

- I don't really understand this sort of trend of putting tutorials in IWBTG games. It seems out of place and for 99.9% of players 99.9% of the time it's just going to be a boring screen they have to trudge through to get to the real game.

- S saves are an abomination - why not just make the Z saves? I legitimately feel like this is one of the cardinal sins of fangame creation.

- The tileset clearly has defined edges, as you've used around the room, but you don't use them in the actual level design, you just use the same middle block. Putting edges around the ground would have made the first area pop a lot better and look much nicer.

- Multiple paths, the shortest of which being the hardest is a good idea and something featured in so few games; some paths felt a bit ott for me.

- The level design in general wasn't horrible. There were some inklings of originality in there but they never really came to fruition; this may be due to how short the game is though (that being said I think you can be original without being hard).

- 99mb is a tough sell for an unfinished game, but at least I thought it was going to be lengthy. What was the point in including every music file in the game when there's only 1 section & 2 screens of section 2? Disappointed by this. (Not to mention the fact that with all that music in the zip file, section 2 was still silent).

- Graphically it was borderline good. The colour palette for stage one is interesting and easy on the eyes but the aforementioned overuse of the middle tile and lack of edge tiles + the plainness of the spikes stopped the design from reaching its true potential.

This wasn't bad at all, eager to see what you make next. :~)

Guitarsage

• Wannabe
  • Personal Text
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 06:01:31 PM »
I'll leave some criticism here. I know you're not working on this anymore but hopefully it can be constructive in your next projects:

- I don't really understand this sort of trend of putting tutorials in IWBTG games. It seems out of place and for 99.9% of players 99.9% of the time it's just going to be a boring screen they have to trudge through to get to the real game.

- S saves are an abomination - why not just make the Z saves? I legitimately feel like this is one of the cardinal sins of fangame creation.

- The tileset clearly has defined edges, as you've used around the room, but you don't use them in the actual level design, you just use the same middle block. Putting edges around the ground would have made the first area pop a lot better and look much nicer.

- Multiple paths, the shortest of which being the hardest is a good idea and something featured in so few games; some paths felt a bit ott for me.

- The level design in general wasn't horrible. There were some inklings of originality in there but they never really came to fruition; this may be due to how short the game is though (that being said I think you can be original without being hard).

- 99mb is a tough sell for an unfinished game, but at least I thought it was going to be lengthy. What was the point in including every music file in the game when there's only 1 section & 2 screens of section 2? Disappointed by this. (Not to mention the fact that with all that music in the zip file, section 2 was still silent).

- Graphically it was borderline good. The colour palette for stage one is interesting and easy on the eyes but the aforementioned overuse of the middle tile and lack of edge tiles + the plainness of the spikes stopped the design from reaching its true potential.

This wasn't bad at all, eager to see what you make next. :~)

- Alright, I just felt like it was a given,but I see what you mean.
- Back when I was making this, someone told me I should use S saves rather than just putting saveblockers, and I went ahead and did it. Looking back, it wasn't worth the effort I had to put into making S saves since I had never used gamemaker before this
- I really did try and do what you say, but every time it looked off to me, so I just went with that and hoped it wouldn't be too much of an eyesore.
- That's what I wanted to do because of my liking of games like hunyaapunpun and go go go. I see what you mean with the paths, after watching some people play through it recently, I saw that they needed refining as some were harder than they needed be for what amounted to a very small amount of time, and others were over the top such as the plane angle gate angle thing in one of the later rooms.
- Alright.
- All the music was there because me and skull planned on finishing it, but never did. Honestly, I didn't take out the music because I was being a little lazy, and there was no music in Section 2 because of some problem I had getting the music to play.
- The spikes were substitutes for a better sprite I had yet to find, and then never did. If I work on this game again, or whenever I make another one, I will have this same problem as I can't make sprites, so I'll have to ask someone if they could make one.

Thank you for the feedback on what now amounts to an afterthought. I might include this in something else I make somehow if I don't improve upon it as a game on it's own
Signature

Derf

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 07:11:19 PM »
Z saves are the best alternative. Since Z is the shoot button and you don't have to move your finger out of the default position to save which is what's annoying about S saves.

But good luck! :~)