Author Topic: I Wanna Kill The Gecko Video  (Read 3578 times)

RebornIsaac

• Cherry Eater
  • ~(´・ω・`)~
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Safari 4.0 Safari 4.0
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
I Wanna Kill The Gecko Video
« on: August 13, 2015, 10:59:17 PM »
I made a video from my upcoming game's intro, dunno if this goes here, so check it out :)
(Also, description for extra info)

Link:

lawatson

• The Kid
  • I do things and I make things.
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.155 Chrome 44.0.2403.155
    • View Profile
Re: I Wanna Kill The Gecko Video
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 12:15:13 AM »
It should prooooobably be in the Unfinished section of User Creations.

Neat video, please make sure to make a good game :o
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:53:19 AM by lawatson »
(click to show/hide)

smoke weed everyday

Wolsk

• The Kid
  • Wolsky McKitty :3
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 05:43:35 AM »
Pretty cool, but at the part where the Kid is running, the background and such are going the wrong direction.
meow :3

Why are you complaining about being a meme? this is a positive thing

bananaguy12

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 06:04:39 AM »
Pretty cool, but at the part where the Kid is running, the background and such are going the wrong direction.
I think it looks awesome. The background and tiles are from the original iwbtg. ( •ᴗ•)ψ I wish people didnt hate them.

Wolsk

• The Kid
  • Wolsky McKitty :3
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 07:20:44 AM »
I said nothing about the tiles.  It look like the Kid is running backwards.
meow :3

Why are you complaining about being a meme? this is a positive thing

Zero-G

• [+--oo]
  • Alumi
  • Spike Dodger
  • Administrator
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • My twitch channel
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 08:12:19 AM »
I said nothing about the tiles.  It look like the Kid is running backwards.

p much this ^

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 06:26:36 PM »
Pretty great intro

Derf

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 08:30:52 PM »
I dislike the graphics but that's more of a stylistic cohesion thing rather than me thinking they lack in quality. The music fits well though and the animations, save for the title screen where as Wolsk says the background moves in the wrong direction, are good. I'm not sure what exactly the animation after the title screen was trying to portray though. Overall though it's impressive, so well done :~)

Some improvements I would suggest:

- Slice the title background into horizontal strips and have them on different background layers moving at different speeds to generate a parallax effect. The way the graphic you've chosen presents roads has no perspective at all and it ruins the illusion of it being a landscape rather than a flat picture behind the kid, parallax would help a lot.

- Tidy up the title logo a bit. I don't think it looks terrible but imo it doesn't look great. It looks out of place because it's in a messy style which contradicts the straighter more precise style of the other graphics in the intro and on the title screen. Again it goes back to me not liking the graphics, or to be more specific the way there's a lack of unifying style. There's a mixture of scaled up pixel art and pixel art presented in its original size; flat block colouring and gradient shading; precise angled lines and messy line art.

RebornIsaac

• Cherry Eater
  • ~(´・ω・`)~
  • Windows 8/Server 2012 Windows 8/Server 2012
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.81 Chrome 43.0.2357.81
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 10:47:30 PM »
I dislike the graphics but that's more of a stylistic cohesion thing rather than me thinking they lack in quality. The music fits well though and the animations, save for the title screen where as Wolsk says the background moves in the wrong direction, are good. I'm not sure what exactly the animation after the title screen was trying to portray though. Overall though it's impressive, so well done :~)

Some improvements I would suggest:

- Slice the title background into horizontal strips and have them on different background layers moving at different speeds to generate a parallax effect. The way the graphic you've chosen presents roads has no perspective at all and it ruins the illusion of it being a landscape rather than a flat picture behind the kid, parallax would help a lot.

- Tidy up the title logo a bit. I don't think it looks terrible but imo it doesn't look great. It looks out of place because it's in a messy style which contradicts the straighter more precise style of the other graphics in the intro and on the title screen. Again it goes back to me not liking the graphics, or to be more specific the way there's a lack of unifying style. There's a mixture of scaled up pixel art and pixel art presented in its original size; flat block colouring and gradient shading; precise angled lines and messy line art.

For the first one I didn't quite get what you wanted me to do, you want me to extend the picture? Make it so then it looks different and wider?

And for the second one, the game had another title image before, however I decided to change it to a custom drawing because it was made with a usual font (Algerian) and said font was already used for another fangame's title, so I wanted to be a little bit more original, it came up horribly (I can draw in an acceptable way, but I don't have any drawing tools on my PC) and I was too lazy (Bad excuse? Maybe) and left it like that, the way the outline (glow) looks makes it feel like its out of place, so then, I will re-do the intro trying to improve title image and stuff, so tell me what you would like for me to change and I will :) Thanks for the advice!

Derf

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 04:19:39 PM »
I made a quick example for you here. It's a technique called parallax scrolling which gives the environment more depth by shifting different slices of the background at different speeds. You could do that with the background in your intro.

Yeah man, don't feel like you have to do anything cause I said it, it's all subjective after all :~) Good luck!