Author Topic: I wanna be the only level  (Read 4492 times)

yoburg

• Trial Wannabe
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.125 Chrome 44.0.2403.125
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
I wanna be the only level
« on: August 03, 2015, 01:51:43 AM »
My first game. As you may notice from the name it's a "This is the only level" ripoff (but better). Made this simply to learn how gamemaker works and stuff.

Engine: I Wanna Be the Engine KS Edition (For GMStudio)

https://www.mediafire.com/download/xg93orjoiigv2q9/I_wanna_be_the_only_level.zip

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: I wanna be the only level
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 02:12:51 AM »
I don't know if you can really say (but better) when they're basically the exact same game. You did some neat stuff though, so I hope to see you make a more traditional fangame in the future!

Derf

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 12:53:58 PM »
I enjoy it. Sometimes the spikes are hard to see as they're the same colour as the mountain & level 17's music is so much louder than the other music +

I hope to see you make a more traditional fangame in the future!
I disagree so much. You clearly have a taste/knack for more out of the box mechanics, even though nothing in this quick game you've made is terribly original. What the fangaming community needs more of is innovation and experimentation and I sincerely hope you continue down a more left-field path. You certainly have a lot of potential.

Katz

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 03:16:05 PM »
More originality == the better the game is. You don't really have to make a repetitive shtick in order for people to more or less like your game. After all its what it takes of your creativity to make a good game, as you can clearly see. Keep at it.

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 04:00:24 PM »
More originality == the better the game is. You don't really have to make a repetitive shtick in order for people to more or less like your game. After all its what it takes of your creativity to make a good game, as you can clearly see. Keep at it.

I don't think that's really the case. People are generally comforted by familiarity, and the huge portion of what makes fangames what they are is repetition of key elements. Moving with FGHT and jumping with the Print Screen key would be original, but it's cumbersome and pointless originality. That's not to say that there should be no innovation at all, but I would posit that what people really want in fangames is largely visual polish and solid platforming/bosses over ten million new gimmicks.

(sorry for derailing the thread, see my first comment for thoughts on the game)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:03:53 PM by Kyir »

Derf

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 04:15:55 PM »

I don't think that's really the case. People are generally comforted by familiarity, and the huge portion of what makes fangames what they are is repetition of key elements. Moving with FGHT and jumping with the Print Screen key would be original, but it's cumbersome and pointless originality. That's not to say that there should be no innovation at all, but I would posit that what people really want in fangames is largely visual polish and solid platforming/bosses over ten million new gimmicks.

(sorry for derailing the thread, see my first comment for thoughts on the game)
No that's what you want Kyir. There are many people out there who do want innovation and originality and people like you who don't shouldn't stop them. You enjoy repetition clearly, as do many others and there's nothing wrong with that, but for a lot of us fangames are becoming stale and if people like Yoburg want to experiment you shouldn't be trying to stop them. It's personal preference and you shouldn't be encouraging someone to stop going in the direction they're going in. Great strawman by the way, obviously I'm not calling for originality for the sake of it or for pointless annoying gimmicks, but there are plenty of new and fun ideas out there waiting to be created. FYI, you can have solid platforming, solid bosses and visual finesse at the same time as new gimmicks and original concepts. Just because you're too scared to stop using the crutch of jump refreshers doesn't mean other people aren't capable enough to go out there and create something new and interesting.

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 05:19:36 PM »
Wow, you got personal really fast there. I'm glad you understand me well enough to have decided that I'm unable to separate what I want from what I see as a general trend, especially after calling me out on strawmanning. I don't use jump refreshers because I think they're perfect, I use them because I enjoy using them. As you might note, I simply said I hope that Yoberg goes in a direction that is more traditional (in terms of fangames) than copying a flash game in the future, whereas you seem to have read me as demanding that he do so. He should do whatever he enjoys. I was simply stating my reaction to it.

As to your argument: if you examine a few of the most popular fangames (let's just say Boshy and KTG,) I think you'll see that a lot of games following them have trended towards using the same sorts of mechanics such as jump refreshers, laser gating, gravity flips, etc. Since we can safely assume that they aren't just because the code is easily available (because as far as I've seen, it isn't,) the more reasonable conclusion to draw would be that the creators of the next generations of games enjoyed playing them in previous games and tried to improve on them. For example: I would argue that I Wanna Find My Destiny's laser gating draws heavily on KTGs (although this is completely based on personal observation.) Destiny also uses a wide variety of other gimmicks that I would not personally call original per-say, but is one of the most well-recieved fangames (9.4 on Delicious Fruit out of 9 reviews, which is a fairly big sample size when it comes to data around here.) NANG is another game that uses a wide variety of time-tested gimmicks (gravity manipulation, conveyors, etc.,) and twists them into less standard forms (triple jump as an evolution of jump refreshing, for example.) It currently has a 9.4 after 14 reviews on Delicious Fruit. The originality within both of these games, and there is a lot, is more concentrated on polish and graphical flourishes, as well as the combination of a wide variety of mechanics into small sections (again, based on my observation.)

I would conclude from this that the community tends to enjoy the recombination of familiar gimmicks over brand new ones, though I would be more than willing to hear an argument from you that is less emotional and based on personal attacks.

infern0man1

• ~(=^・ω・^)ψ
  • Global Moderator
  • Oatmeal Killer
  • Dear sir stroke madam, fire exclamation point
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 06:05:56 PM »
I'm going to have to intervene here; if you want to debate on the topic at hand, continue in a new thread please.

nops

• Wannabe
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 39.0 Firefox 39.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 12:02:18 PM »
is there a written solution of the game? i've been stuck at the bored+8 screen for a while (the buttons won't open the gate), is there something obvious i'm missing?  :atkCry:

just_another_Guy

• Cherry Eater
  • tempest best game
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Glory Hole Foundation
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 01:13:47 PM »
If you're not on windowed mode, the mirror gimmick in the final boss gets fucked up, which sucks cause I'm used to playing fangames fullscreen. Other than that, great game, really enjoyed it.
Private fangame stash (link: private)