Author Topic: Fangame block at ESA 2015  (Read 3826 times)

BBF

• Cherry Eater
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.130 Chrome 43.0.2357.130
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Fangame block at ESA 2015
« on: June 28, 2015, 12:18:22 PM »
I'll be at the European Speedster Assembly from July 2nd to July 5th, and they seem to have some big free timeslots on the secondary stream.

I thought I would bring up the idea of putting together a bunch of fangame content to show off for a couple of hours.

Should I even attempt to do that? Ontwoplanks and Heinki would probably be around to help me on site, so it wouldn't just be me doing stuff the entire time.

What kind of content?

- History of Fangames (Original Guy, IWBTFangame). I'm not too familiar with this topic so maybe someone can write up a little something or link to some information.

- Different types of fangames: Adventure, Needle, Avoidance, Trap, 100 Floor. Show some examples for each.

- Jump tutorial: Pretty much the RMJ map that was used for different jump types in that one picture. Explain how to approach certain jumps, talk a little bit about aligns.

- Famous Fangames: Boshy, Churatch, NANG, Across the Rainbow and so on. Play parts of each game (first 3 stages of NANG, full Rainbow run f.e.)

- Famous Bosses: Show clears of LoveTrap Miku (the fight it all started with), Piano, Sunspike boss, etc.

- If some people unfamiliar with fangames want to: let them play through Celebrate 100, Conquer the Blow or whatever.

That's just a rough draft of ideas on what I could do (if this even happens). Feel free to give suggestions/feedback/whatever you want to say.

verveplay

• Wannabe
  • Hi
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 38.0 Firefox 38.0
    • View Profile
Re: Fangame block at ESA 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 12:59:47 PM »
From what i remember Kayin saw an online game called Owata, which was a difficult-ish troll game. It was kinda unfinished so Kayin thought he could do better. That's how I Wanna Be The Guy was made in October 2007. In March 2010, I Wanna be the Fangame was made. Don't really know more stuff. Source: IWBTG speedrun on AGDQ (Skype call with Kayin during the run) and the original IWBTFangame site

Wolsk

• The Kid
  • Wolsky McKitty :3
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.93 Chrome 43.0.2357.93
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:29:00 PM »
Man, I really wish my internet wasn't complete trash right now.
I would totally have participated if not for that.
meow :3

Why are you complaining about being a meme? this is a positive thing

kendotlibero

• Wannabe
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.93 Chrome 43.0.2357.93
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 01:18:52 PM »
Let us know when and if you go live  :atkHappy:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:17:14 PM by kendotlibero »

BBF

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 05:27:05 PM »
2planks put up a Laptop with Last TIS on it for people to try.

Wondering what the best attempt will be when I arrive there.  :Kappa:

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 09:27:25 PM »
I better hear the eggs meme during the run, BBF.

Don't disappoint me

Edit: You could also mention the Boshy tutorials on YouTube for anyone interested in casual Boshy and/or learning to speedrun it!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:01:29 AM by tehjman1993 »

pieceofcheese87

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Personal Text
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.124 Chrome 43.0.2357.124
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Tv Channel
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 12:00:36 AM »
Just adding on to fangame history stuff.

After the success of IWBTG, kayin tried to make a sequel called I wanna save the kids. It was never finished, but he released a demo. (This was sometime mid-2008)

While I wanna be the Fangame was the first fangame that uses the engine we know today, people were trying to create games similar to IWBTG months before. If you want to see some examples, there are some primitive threads on the kayin forums. (https://prntscr.com/7myrtg) I wanna be the fangame was initially released in october 2008. 

tijit, the creator of IWBTFangame, was the first person to beat IWBTG on impossible.
(click to show/hide)

In january 2009 tijit created I wanna be the Engine. https://iwbtg.kayin.moe/forums/index.php?topic=2926.0
This was the first appearance of standard fangame physics we know today. Old fangames such as I wanna be the Tribute, i wanna be the Retro and even I wanna be the Dallas were created on this engine.

Probably the only "good" fangame released back in those days was Fangame: The game, which wasn't even made with the engine.

The first japanese fangame was I wanna be the GB. https://kayin.moe/iwbtg/forums/index.php?topic=4976.0 . Everyone thought this was the hardest thing ever and they praised it for some reason. The game sucks, but it was still better than most of the crap put out there.

Fangames started picking up in 2010. Acutally skilled game makers and not 12 year olds who found out how to install game maker tried their hand at making one. Even our very own patrick made one https://prntscr.com/7myx5v unfortunately, he never finished it because kayin said some mean words.

This was also around the time that solgryn started work on i wanna be the boshy. his main tester was michael1985, a streamer on justin.tv (twitch didn't exist at that time)
This is the oldest footage of the game I could find:
(click to show/hide)

I stumbled across this thread from late 2010 called "I wanna be the guy: gaiden" https://iwbtg.kayin.moe/forums/index.php?topic=9718.0
And this is one of the comments: "Na sounds lame, not another shitty fangame."
Funnily enough, when gaiden finally came out it was pretty lame. this guy was on top of it.

Nekoron also released his engine, and I wanna be the lovetrap sometime that year. That game is old and terrible, but it was also the beginning of such great ideas like Corner jumps, miku fights and the big kid!

Next january Geezer released the first version of I wanna kill the guy, which is still not finished. But the game stands as one of the best fangames, even 4 years after.

Japanese fangames became more increasing, i'm not quite sure where they put them, but they were there. The kayin forum people hated japanese fangames because they were "all spike jumps, cherries and bullet hells". While they praised old games such as tribute and ultimatum. Gotta love this classic stinkycheese post https://prntscr.com/7mz3el

The wiki was made sometime in 2011/2012. I can't get into detail on this because i can't read japanese and even google translate couldn't save me.

Yosniper made his first engine in 2011 called "I wanna be the better engine", which is debatable. 

Skipping forward a bit, the wannabes team on twitch was created in june 2013. The I Wanna Community forums were also created around this time.
Delicious Fruit was launched this year. It's a cool alternative to the wiki with a review system and everything.

Today the twitch community is thriving. We have met tons of great streamers/creators as well as seen some great fangames. The first annual "Fangame Marathon" was hosted on June 5th 2015.

This is all i feel like writing, this post is probably pointless blabber, but it's cool to look back.

Signature

BBF

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 01:54:59 AM »
Yosniper made his first engine in 2011 called "I wanna be the better engine", which is debatable.

lol.

Thanks for the post Cheese, I'll probably use a bunch of that.

Also the block is scheduled for Saturday evening, probably whenever my Boshy run is done.

BBF

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 05:43:09 PM »
Time is now set in stone at Saturday 9 AM CEST. There will be a Skype call with some other fangame players (hopefully, it's a shitty time for both European and American players)