Author Topic: FGM Setup  (Read 7026 times)

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 42.0.2311.90 Chrome 42.0.2311.90
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
FGM Setup
« on: April 19, 2015, 10:48:30 AM »
Hello everyone!

It's been a while since our last update. I believe submissions for FGM have stayed open long enough, as I have started to assign games to specific runners that signed up. It's a work-in-progress, baby!

There's a few main topics I want to review with the community as we take our next steps to making this become a reality:

The Date(s):

June 5th to June 7th. Exact start/end times are still TBD.

How it will run:

The FGM (Fangame Marathon) will highlight a variety of runners speeding through various fangames in a timely manner. Although some runners will get multiple games to run, the more-than-likely scenario will be that the same runner will run 2 games, back-to-back, before handing it over to the next runner. This 2-block window will run anywhere between 1-2 hours. For games that are much longer in time (see: Cultured, Rekt, Kamilia 2/3), only 1 game will be run. Every game/race will have an estimate.

The FGM will not only feature individual runs of games, but races as well! Races will most likely be placed in the late afternoon/evening EST time, which should complement everyone's schedule hopefully. There will also be various "bonus" events throughout the marathon, including a "Draw my guy" artistic contest and a special presentation by ... TASbot? Klazen? It's a mystery.

The FGM will be hosted by some cameraman, who will pop-out the runner's stream and re-stream it to the FGM channel. The runner's name and twitch page should be clearly visible to all viewers on the FGM channel. For races, multiple pop-outs will be used. This way, the runner can comfortably stream on their own channel w/o worrying about setup/size/quality. We ask, however, that all runners have a "decent" quality to their stream, especially runners that are running games that have a lot of things going on in one screen (see: Weston).

Scheduling:

The schedule will (hopefully) be prepared soon. This will be a ROUGH copy of the master FGM schedule. I will attempt to contact every runner to verify their time. If a time does not work out, we will attempt to reschedule to the best of our ability. I apologize in advance for scheduling conflicts!

The FGM Channel/Setup:

The FGM channel will be setup soon. We are currently looking for anyone who can create overlays / banners / stream info pictures / etc for the FGM channel and broadcaster/cameraman. We desperately need these. If you are seriously interested in making any of these, please contact me either here or on twitch @ www.twitch.tv/tehjman1993 (send me a PM!). I'm also fairly active on the #wannabes IRC under the SRL channel.

The FGM broadcaster/cameraman:

We are currently looking for anyone who can volunteer hour(s) of their time to broadcast runners. You must have a strong computer/internet to do this, as some games/races will require good quality and multiple streams.

Donations:

Currently, I have no set plan if we are contributing to a cause. This is a very secondary concern at the moment. If anyone can set up/manage a place to donate to for a cause, please let me know. I know that the GDQ's typically donate to medical-related causes, but I'm not exactly sure how they have it set up. If anyone is seriously interested in making that happen, please contact me. Otherwise, this will probably not happen. Of course, we would always encourage anyone who enjoys watching the current runner/racer to visit their twitch.tv channel to personally donate and/or sub to them. That we could do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there is anything I forgot to cover in this post that you still have questions about, please post here! The more volunteers I can get, the faster this process will move.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. If anyone wants to help me set up scheduling, that'd be nice :)

Super edit: Because it has been asked before, I am making all submissions public to FGM. This is the RESPONSES ONLY spreadsheet, and will not reflect the master schedule very well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jY6KUguHvDPiIH6WBD6QW2l8bI1z0eK8J4UuRwGTgv8/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:51:46 AM by tehjman1993 »

BBF

• Cherry Eater
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: FGM Setup
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 11:01:22 AM »
I think using a RTMP Server for re-streaming would make things a lot less complex for the person restreaming.

No idea how to set one up though, but I'm sure someone in this community knows how to.

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 11:03:27 AM »
I think using a RTMP Server for re-streaming would make things a lot less complex for the person restreaming.

No idea how to set one up though, but I'm sure someone in this community knows how to.

Yeah we tried getting someone to do this, but every person we talked to ended up being unable to figure one out. Of course, if anyone can set up one, it'd make this easier!

klazen108

• Administrator
  • The Kid
  • your a kid now your a squid now
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Delicious-Fruit
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 11:40:05 AM »

I'm not familiar with the terminology, but wouldn't an RTMP server be the equivalent of our own private video ingest server, that everyone would have to reconfigure their OBS to connect to? Then the restreamer would pull up and capture the RTMP stream and format with OBS before restreaming to twitch? What about when there are multiple people (say, during a race), can an RTMP ingest take more than one person at a time (and how would the restreamer have access to each individual stream)?

This is just the picture I've pieced together from googling 'RTMP', I don't know the details... but the only benefit I see is that the original streams (from the runners) won't show up on twitch cause they won't be streaming to twitch, they'll be streaming to my PC (or whoever is running the RTMP server). If I've got it all wrong please correct me! I'd love to setup an RTMP server on my raspberry PI and try it out  :FrankerZ:

BBF

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 12:08:44 PM »
I'm not too familiar with RTMP either, but it's a very common way for marathons to make switching games/streamers less time consuming, because it all happens on 1 page. I think a restreamer could capture the stream window on the RTMP page and never have to change anything for as long as it's just 1 player streaming to it.

For races, I am somewhat (read: not really) sure that there would just be 2 (or how many runners there are) streams next to each other on the RTMP page, making it even easier to capture for restreaming.

Reminder that I am not familiar with this at all, but I used it a couple of times to run Boshy during online marathons and it seems to work relatively well, hence getting more popular.

The main problem is the server performance required to host several streams at once, but it should be managable as long as only the restreamer is watching. Every streamer/viewer increases the servers requirements to run it well, which makes it work so well for restreaming, as only 1 person is viewing.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:12:19 PM by BBF »

Denferok

• Community Manager
  • The Kid
  • Administrator
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • My stream
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 02:08:23 PM »
I'd love to be the broadcaster & commentator. I have a very strong pc with a 250/100 connection speed.

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 05:36:31 PM »
I'd love to be the broadcaster & commentator. I have a very strong pc with a 250/100 connection speed.

I will most certainly be in contact with you soon about broadcasting.

Wolsk

• The Kid
  • Wolsky McKitty :3
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 42.0.2311.108 Chrome 42.0.2311.108
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 05:54:05 PM »
I tried to change formatting to make my box take up less space, but it submitted again instead of editing.

Just delete the top one. :V
meow :3

Why are you complaining about being a meme? this is a positive thing

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 07:34:45 PM »
I tried to change formatting to make my box take up less space, but it submitted again instead of editing.

Just delete the top one. :V

I got it! Thanks!

You submitted really late you bastard

Wolsk

• The Kid
  • Wolsky McKitty :3
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 42.0.2311.108 Chrome 42.0.2311.108
    • View Profile