Author Topic: Music not working in most fangames on Win8.1, differs by engine  (Read 1804 times)

InvisiblePanda

• Trial Wannabe
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 37.0 Firefox 37.0
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Hey guys,

I still suffer from having no working music in very many of the fangames I play on Win8.1. I already posted in this topic, but so far only one seems to have had the same issue and doesn't do so anymore for some reason :) I use the Win8 fangame crashing fix.

Problem:
There are certain kinds of "having no music" for me, most common are these types:
  • There is no music in the stages, but I hear every sound effect (shooting and jumping) correctly
  • There is no music in the stages, but the sound effects work, and in boss stages there is actually music
  • There is no music anywhere, and the sound effects are "suppressed" (for lack of a better word). That is, I hear some crippled shooting sounds, usually no jumping sounds, but rarely, there is a "real" jump or shoot sound effect coming through

Example fangames:
  • I can't speak Loanwords - no music, crippled sound effects
  • I wanna Sheep 100 final - everything works
  • I wanna Kill the Guy - everything works
  • I wanna conquer the blow (any part) - everything works
  • I wanna eat the Rori Girl - no music, but SFX work
  • I wanna Now or Never - no music, but SFX work
  • I wanna be the Venus - no music, but SFX work

Unfortunately, I can't think of an example for type 2 right now, but I'll edit once I find one of those again.

Thoughts and questions:
Do you know what engines are used for those games? I have so far tried out (using GameMaker 8.0 Lite) the following engines and could reproduce the problems in part:
  • IWBTE yuuutu edition ver 2.11 - no music in the sample, but SFX work
  • IWBTE ErunatyanEdition classic Ver.1.00 - everything works fine in the sample
  • IWBTE nekoronEdition ver 1.1.0 - no music, crippled sound effects
  • IWBTE japan2 - no music, but SFX work
So there could be a relation to the engine used to create the above games and I'd like to find out if that's correct.

Also, I tried pressing the "Play" button in GM for the sound files and I couldn't even play them in GM in the three engines without music above. Could this be a codec problem? Does anyone of you know "how" those sound files are added in the actual engines? The difference to ErunatyanEdition seems to be that this one deploys the music files as OGG in a separate folder while in the others they seem to be included in the engine file somehow (I'm a newb at this). When changing the background music for the stages in for instance the japan2 engine to some system sound file, it worked in the game as well!

If anyone could suggest some stuff for me to do or try out, or give me some more examples of fangames where you know the engine used, I'd be glad, as right now I can't play most avoidance games. And in general playing without music sucks!

InvisiblePanda

• Trial Wannabe
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 37.0 Firefox 37.0
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Re: Music not working in most fangames on Win8.1, differs by engine
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 05:18:16 AM »
Update: I installed Windows 7 again and there everything works (es expected). But since in the future I may be forced to use Windows 8 or 10, I guess the problem is going to reappear I still welcome any advice  :atkHappy:

Junior Nintendista

Re: Music not working in most fangames on Win8.1, differs by engine
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 09:17:41 AM »
You can not create a virtual machine with windows 7? windows 8 is very bad to create and play fangames, if you play in the virtual machine will not give error. (this is just an idea)