Author Topic: I Wanna Be Red  (Read 1860 times)

RedSalamando

• Wannabe
  • I make games as good as I play them. Mediocrely.
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.143 Chrome 36.0.1985.143
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
I Wanna Be Red
« on: August 16, 2014, 08:36:27 AM »
After following this community for quite a while now (about a year), and seeing a load of "I can do better than that" games, I decided to make my own to see what I was capable of.

The outcome was I Wanna Be Red.

https://www.mediafire.com/download/hymtata2l1tiv7i/I_Wanna_Be_Red.zip

For a first Fangame, and after seeing a lot of peoples reactions, I thought I did pretty good, aside from a few unintended F-ups.

For my assumptions below, I first watched Paragusrants run through of it on a past Twitch broadcast (unfortunately I wasn't able to see it live).

What I know to work on:
- File Size
        Yes, I got a lot of complaints about file size, and most of them were assumptions about WAV files for the music. Yep, they were indeed WAV's. I wasnt aware that they took up so much space. Easy fix.

- Specifics
        The Pokeball that you shoot near the end. Wasn't very clear what you had to do to trigger it. If I could go back I would have placed a little "Shoot! -->" prompt next to it.

- Sound
        Some sound kind of fluctuated to me, being too loud or a bit too quiet, but still able to be heard. Easy fix too.

- Bosses
        My boss is simple, yeah. With more game making comes experience in these things. I can try to be more creative with my limited "shoot apple at player" and "apple-explosion" gimmicks.

What I did right:

- The Trolls
      Watching Para play it and fall for every trap the way I intended anyone to, was glorious. From the beginning of the game with the gate jump "shortcut" to the shooting the fish in the cave, I was in tears watching someone play it.

- To me: Tilesets
      You understood that the 2nd stage was meant to be Battleblock Theater, right? I mean, if you've played BBT. Also, the Pokemon stage was an experiment with a premade tileset.

Post your opinions on how I did, I'd like some feedback on what else to work on.

Sephalos

• Spike Dodger
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.143 Chrome 36.0.1985.143
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Gamepad
Re: I Wanna Be Red
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 01:15:25 PM »
Ah, so you're the guy who made that game. I didn't see too much of the game but from what I saw, the battleblock theater stage and the deca corner troll were pretty clever. The rest of what I saw decent-ish.

If your goal was "I can do better than that" then I would say you definitely hit the mark.