Author Topic: I Wanna Be The Sublime (Alpha 4.0)  (Read 5593 times)

Reepicheep32

• Trial Wannabe
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.125 Chrome 36.0.1985.125
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
I Wanna Be The Sublime (Alpha 4.0)
« on: August 12, 2014, 12:09:21 PM »
Hey guys, I have recently released a new version of I Wanna Be The Sublime and just wanted to see if there is any interest over here :)

Alpha 4.0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pn0o244vkgaddrk/IWBTS%20Alpha%204.0.rar

There are currently 4 paths to complete, 4 secret items to find aswell as 16 eyeblocks to uncover. Hope you like it! :)

Some screenshots:

Paragus

• Alumi
  • Spike Dodger
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 31.0 Firefox 31.0
    • View Profile
Re: I Wanna Be The Sublime (Alpha 4.0)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 01:36:21 AM »
Meh, deleted my comments and cleaned up the thread.  I don't really want to scare a new game maker off our community.   I didn't care for the game and I''l leave it at that.

Reepicheep32

• Trial Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.125 Chrome 36.0.1985.125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 05:19:14 AM »
That's fair enough, I appreciate your honesty although I am inclined to ask what elements of my game you disliked? I can be a little stubborn when it comes to my vision for Sublime but I am open to suggestion and if there are things you think I can improve then by all means share your advice, I am trying to make my game more accessible at the moment and external perspectives are essential to that endeavor :)

Paragus

• Alumi
  • Spike Dodger
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 08:57:31 AM »
That's fair enough, I appreciate your honesty although I am inclined to ask what elements of my game you disliked? I can be a little stubborn when it comes to my vision for Sublime but I am open to suggestion and if there are things you think I can improve then by all means share your advice, I am trying to make my game more accessible at the moment and external perspectives are essential to that endeavor :)

OK

I started the game on stream yesterday, and the visuals and stuff looked OK, and your music doesn't restart which was nice.  Got trolled in the hub, just completely annoying, not even funny, just annoying.

The one path led me to a room with the windmill type obstacle with yep, another troll at the end.   It was stupidly precise imo for something this early in the game.   I end up walking into a boss room after finally getting through that room and i was literally dead instantly because I think I appears 1 pixel from a spike or something?   I soon realize there is no save before the boss door.   Fuck that, not wasting my time in that windmill room for a second longer, let alone every time I get cheesed on the zone into the boss room.

Then I go into another door and instantly am dead from another screaming troll.  Eventually figure out its some sort of red light - green light from the dude looking at me.   It's just so tedious its not fun at all, and the constant loud screaming and sounds with all traps is just awful.

I go down another path, end up in a room with a moving platform going up and down.  I get on it and guess what, another screaming troll trap.

Where is the actual game at here?   The entire game from what I was able to see was just silly screamer type traps, mediocre platforming, and bad gimmicks.   These are all like the first screens the player will see when he plays.   It just gives a really bad first impression.   When you are just getting bombarded with loud obnoxious traps every 3 steps, I was quickly asking myself why should I or anyone else even bother with this?

It's a shame because you look like someone who sort of understands production value, which is a trait that has a lot of potential.   But the impression of the first few rooms were so bad that I don't see why anyone would give this game more than a few minutes.  You need to earn the players trust in the beginning of the game so the player knows its worth pushing through the rough spots.   You didn't earn my trust because right out of the gate it was just a shit show for me, and most of my viewers were in agreement.  If you can't make the game more accessible, then you are wasting your time because most people will never see anything past the first few rooms.

I hope you find this helpful.

Paragus

• Alumi
  • Spike Dodger
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 10:32:04 AM »
The bouncing trap I managed to clear the screen transition before I hit the ceiling.  But ya, the game is too trap heavy.   Trap in the hub, invisible pits in the dark screen with invisible blocks.   Guy flying out of the floor as soon as you walk into the screen to the right.   Guy popping up on the rising platform.  Inverted controls as soon as you transition without any explanation and no save.   Can you not see how these things make your game looks like a trigger trap troll fest?

This is just in the first few minutes.   I was desperately trying to find some real platforming and all found were bad gimmicks and booby traps.  Judging by the thread over on the official forums, I guess there's a lot of people that maybe are fine with that. 

You have to realize that everyday I stream guy games and everyday I am pulling all the newest stuff off the wiki.  I've seen and been through some shit.   But there is no way I could compel myself to tolerate the first few minutes of your game with all this nonsense, and it makes me conclude the rest of the game is probably more of the same if its starting off like this.  Most of my regular viewers didn't even know what the hell was happening half of the time.   As soon as the game starts something falls from the ceiling and kills me in the hub, each path I went into I was pretty much dead instantly from something silly before I could even do anything.

Your save points are ill-placed.   You should have a save at the start of a screen, not the end of the previous screen.   When I go into a path and am instagibbed, its annoying to have to reappear back in the hub (again which has a troll in it) and retransition back to the area.

BoshyMan741

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.143 Chrome 36.0.1985.143
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 07:34:41 PM »
I'm making some videos of this game, and I had to post here because I can't register on IWBT Forums.

[REMOVED LINK] - Part 7 has childish things in it so don't watch it, unless you're childish.

I also pointed out some windows 8 specific bugs as well as all around bugs.

[ADMIN EDIT: Try not to advertise out side of video discussion]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:00:00 PM by Starz0r »

Swordslinger

• The Kid
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 33.0.1750.154 Chrome 33.0.1750.154
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 09:09:36 PM »
I'm making some videos of this game, and I had to post here because I can't register on IWBT Forums.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMtBWg75zv7FW9wszYOIy1EMLqzvqKA9f - Part 7 has childish things in it so don't watch it, unless you're childish.

I also pointed out some windows 8 specific bugs as well as all around bugs.

I'm slightly late on this but this forum does have a video discussion, you can post the videos there, not here.
A Random Signature

BoshyMan741

• Wannabe
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.143 Chrome 36.0.1985.143
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 01:55:48 PM »
Oops sorry didn't mean to do that. I'm new to the forums.  :denMiku: