Author Topic: RegalPrime-UnityEngine v1.4.1 - 8-18-15  (Read 31051 times)

Starz0r

• Owner
  • The Kid
  • Administrator
  • Hall Of Fame
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 42.0.2311.152 Chrome 42.0.2311.152
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Re: RegalPrime-UnityEngine v1.2 - 5-21-15 Unity5 Test Release
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2015, 08:16:43 AM »
This seems complete enough to be moved to the Engine portion of the forum.

radicalero

• Wannabe
  • Windows 8/Server 2012 Windows 8/Server 2012
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 38.0 Firefox 38.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2015, 11:39:37 AM »
Hi! Awesome work. Unity 5 version, I think work perfect.
Waiting for new updates, new levels and new little bosses =)

Do you will create videotutorial creating 2 levels?

RegalPrime

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.81 Chrome 43.0.2357.81
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2015, 03:28:57 AM »
Got caught up having to get something to work just right, but I think I got it to work.

I am working on getting an official 5.0 unity version now. I need to do some testing and write the patch notes. Luckily I keep a running list of stuff I have added, but its never fun.
Oohh, tutorials. Its been on my mind forever and I will starting thinking more about doing them. The goal would be a set of video tutorials because it is easier to show than to tell.
Of course, I need to research some free video recording software / etc, because Ive never done it before.

So that thing I was working on will be in the new engine version as well.
Been working on custom editor scripting which is somewhat the same but different.

Projectile Spawner Prefab
This is a picture of the old (left side) and new object spawner script (right). Right side is 2 different pictures of the same script (2nd one shows the dropdown)
Instead of choosing yes / no for every type of spawn option there is a dropdown that is attached to a list of delegates
The custom editor also shows / hides the proper fields depending on the selection.
Looks 1000x better now and a lot easier to use.
(click to show/hide)

AI Prefabs
Before I did this change, the only way to change the action states of an AI unit would be to create a child class and override the passive / alerted / aggressive functions with a simple function name. C# Attributes + Reflection. Never heard of them before but I guess I do now. Long story short. The base AI class searches for all the functions with that attribute and creates a list. This list can be used in the custom editor to give the user a dropdown of all available actions. The script then takes that selection, turns it into a delegate and populates the proper AI action state.
SOOOO, what does that mean.
There is a dropdown box in the editor where you can select what your unit does. No more having to create a separate child script. Cool thing is, that if I ever write new AIactions, the list will show them without me having to do anything.
Picture shows how the editor looks for two objects.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 03:57:11 AM by RegalPrime »

radicalero

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2015, 07:17:22 AM »
Yeah!! Very good news!
Awesome!
Waiting for official release for Unity 5 and the videotutorials.

I recommend you use Camtasia Recorder to record the videotutorials.

RegalPrime

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.81 Chrome 43.0.2357.81
    • View Profile
Re: RegalPrime-UnityEngine v1.3 - 6-4-15 Release (unity 5.0 update)
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2015, 12:39:51 AM »
https://www.mediafire.com/download/cedxfg6xa14tzkc/RegalPrime+-+UnityEngine+v1.3.zip

Version 1.3 Release - Created in Unity 5.0.2f1 personal
Cat game scenes are reattached and most everything has been tested (still includes the avoidance boss as well).
I would also like to note that due to me doing some major overhauls of certain scripts, some objects may mess up / revert to default values (I noticed certain AI units did).
Some weird stuff happened when I updated to unity5 and it wouldn't surprise me if I missed a few things.

Messed with the layer naming
- Before I had a few extra layers for really specific purposes and I got rid of them
- Some renaming - Ground is now SolidObjects

The eventmanager now has events for certain key presses
- Should make it easy later if I decide to change buttons or how button presses are done.
- Q / R / F2 / shooting / Action buttons are in that manager
- Other scripts now attach to these events and call their functions that way
- Resetting the screen or going to title now use these events
-"Attach to object" script now attaches to the eventmanager to know when the action button is pressed
-"Shooting" script now attaches to the eventmanager to know when the action button is pressed

New HPmodule - update
- The main change is that is has an event that other scripts can subscribe so that they can know when hp=0
- Other general code cleaning and rewrites

New AI - Total rewrite
- Uses the HPmodule event to know when the object has 0 hp (dead)
- Has more of a parent child class system going on. Connecting a certain child class will give you their speciality actions.
- Useable child classes = GroundAI / GroundAI_Shooting / FlyingAI / FlyingAI_Shooting
- AI - Custom Editor
-- Allows the user to select which AI actions for each state in the editor.
-- The underlying script will then change that option into a delegate and populate that action
- Updated the prefabs to include all 4 types
- Would like to note that I did had some problems with unity remembering my custom editor variables. I found the problem
and fixed it. Hopefully that dosnt reappear.
- Going through the cat scenes, I noticed some of the cat units were using my new AI and thus were defaulted to really stupid actions. I fixed all that I saw, but be aware I might have missed one.

Projectile Spawner - Script rewrite
- Better coding than before
Projectile Spawner - Custom Editor
- Changing how / what spawns is a lot cleaner in the editor.
- Updated prefab to use this new version

Updated the machine controller (still a work in progress)
- Has the basics to allow manipulate other machine type gameobjects when trigggered (stop / start / reset)

Problems I had updating the engine to Unity 5.0 stuff
- Material offset script dosnt seem to work with the standard shader (the old objects still work though)
- Some offsets of ground units broke when updating (hope I got them all)
- Lighting has changes so some of the old stuff may seem a bit darker
- Some of the ingame objects in the cat game are not attaching themselves to their corresponding prefabs (they still work though)

New GameSettings.dat will set the sound and music to 5 as default instead of 10
- Sound changed and seems a lot louder if I put it fully to 2d sound
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 12:58:20 AM by RegalPrime »

radicalero

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: RegalPrime-UnityEngine v1.3 - 6-4-15 Release (unity 5.0 update)
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2015, 06:41:55 AM »
Thanks for your awesome work.

RegalPrime

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.124 Chrome 43.0.2357.124
    • View Profile
Re: RegalPrime-UnityEngine v1.3 - Be gentle senpai
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2015, 02:43:58 AM »
Getting things set up to record and whatnot has been a learning experience and I think I have the basics down.
This video is just a basic tutorial about setting up a new game in my engine. It is nothing fancy and I did it in just one take / no editing.
Hopefully that works out fine because it makes life so much easier to do them this way.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=44_0Wmz4WpY
For now this is unlisted, so you need the direct link

Let me know how good / bad this video was (volume / did I explain it somewhat ok / etc).
The idea of making a tutorial via text / pictures and posting it seemed like an extreme pain. After I got things set up it actually went well.
I have a second video just explaining what is actually in the engine / folders, but I messed up a bit and have to edit a small portion. Of course my crappy editing software that came with my computer really sucks so I need to browse for alternatives.
If all goes well, I think I will toss some short videos in that explain certain prefabs and what they are capable of and maybe one that explain some limitations of the engine and problems.

Other than that I have been working on the creating a new animation controller for the Guy (new unity 5 stuff). It looks so much better and is a lot smaller / easier to read. I replaced the old one and it seems to not have any bugs in it.

Annnnd of course, when I open Unity today, I get the message, "There is a new version of Unity."  lol ... maybe when I get a few more things added I will update and post the next version. The patch notes seemed like more bug fixes and the current version of my engine still might work.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 02:47:32 AM by RegalPrime »

radicalero

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Thank you a lot for the work! I will see the video.

Xxaz_v

• Trial Wannabe
  • The Frame Perfect Fuckup.
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.124 Chrome 43.0.2357.124
    • View Profile
Where's the stage where the game becomes a FPS? Kappa
JK, really good work though! :D
Twitch.tv/xxaz_v
"Population Paste has joined the channel"

RegalPrime

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.130 Chrome 43.0.2357.130
    • View Profile
I think Unity has a built in thing where you can instantly make a FPS controller (there is a tutorial on that) and since the engine has all of the other backbone, it might be possible to create a gimmick that involves 3d space. Might be really dizzying to be in first person mode jumping through spikes and whatnot. Also, I think Unity has oculus rift support now as well :p

On another note, since the start I have always been thinking of doing some 2d/3d gimmick level and see how well that works. Might be something I can screw around with next. I was thinking of having the Up / Down arrows move forward and backwards in the screen and have the camera in 3d mode with 3d objects (like in paper mario or maybe swap between different Layers of ground). I think I might rewrite the 2D character controller again to tighten things up and I could add in up / down support and just disable it for the normal engine (but it would be there if I needed it later).

Not sure I will dive into that yet, but its always on my mind. Been working on creating an auto-implemented event controller so that the game doesn't break when certain controllers aren't on the map. Right now without certain ones, the guy wont even jump.

Dont know when I will upload the next video (been kinda busy and plus I have to edit it a bit). I think I might do some videos on certain prefabs to show the extent of what they can do as well, but that is down the road a bit.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 12:11:53 AM by RegalPrime »

verveplay

• Wannabe
  • Hi
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Really nice to see something new, but i never got into unity. Sometime maybe...

RegalPrime

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.134 Chrome 43.0.2357.134
    • View Profile
Re: RegalPrime-UnityEngine v1.3 - 6-20-15 - First Video Tutorial
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2015, 01:17:06 AM »
Quick update
Need to finish up some stuff, then I will release the next version using the latest Unity engine.

- New animation controller for the Guy
- Complete rewrite of all the 2d controllers for the guy (Was a complete mess and it needed to be done for a while)
- Adding in machine based functions for all the scripts that can use it (involves some minor / major rewrites of some scripts). This gives the ability to start / stop / reset / reverse / speedup / slowdown certain objects easily (spike treadmills / moving platforms / etc).
- Some of these script rewrites ended up being so different, they broke the prefabs that were using them and set their values to default. Some of the cat game scene's prefabs might be defaulted values and I need to go through and test.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 02:22:11 AM by RegalPrime »

radicalero

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 39.0 Firefox 39.0
    • View Profile
Re: RegalPrime-UnityEngine v1.3 - 7-19-15 - Quick update info
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2015, 07:55:14 AM »
Thanks. Waiting for it =)

RegalPrime

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.130 Chrome 44.0.2403.130
    • View Profile
Re: RegalPrime-UnityEngine v1.4 - 8-8-15 - Engine update + new download
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2015, 02:11:59 AM »
New engine update + using the new Unity editor
There was only a few things that needed to be fixed when updating to the newest version of unity (just one script thing I had to change)

An interesting thing that I looked at but did not do for this downloaded version. I found I might be able to delete certain sub-folders (the entire Library folder?) of this engine and Unity will recompile them when it loads up the engine. This would cut back on the download size (72.6m -> 44.6m), but since the overall size is not that high I did not worry about it this time around. I will do some testing and post back later.

RegalPrime - UnityEngine v1.4 - 8-8-15 - Created in Unity 5.1.2f1 Personal
https://www.mediafire.com/download/hs31q0ou4r6hu17/RegalPrime+-+UnityEngine+v1.4.zip

Major stuff
New animation controller for the Guy. It uses the new things put in with Unity 5
- Looks and works better than before (hopefully everything is working ok)

Complete rewrite of all the 2d controllers for the guy (Was a complete mess and it needed to be done for a while)
3 new prefabs for the guy character
- Physics (no prechecks). This version exsists but should not be used. He will die from deadly objects slightly inside blocks.
- Physics with prechecks. Uses phyiscs forces to move the guy and uses preventive checks to deal with ground / wall / ceilings
- Pixel. This version using transforms to move the guy and also uses the prechecks
It shouldn't of changed much how the guy actually moves, but it allows me to change things more easily if I find out something new.
The script will give you a warning if you have the wrong editor settings for the Guy prefab's 'min penetration for penalty' value and tell you how to change it and to what value

New machine parent class / functions
- Start_Machine
- Stop_Machine
- Reset_Machine
- Reverse_Machine
- SpeedUp_Machine
- SlowDown_Machine
- Set_SpeedMultiplier

The following were updated / rewritten to be better scripted and contain the new machine functions (their parent class is Machine).
- Spike Chopper
- Spike Treadmill
- Rotate Forever
- Move object via waypoint (how platforms move)
- InOutSpikeConsecutive

The above are now in the machine type folder (both script and prefabs). This means that you can tell these prefabs to speed up / reverse / etc (any of the machine functions). Its was a lot more difficult to reverse some of these objects than I initially thought, so I ended up just starting over on some of the scripts so I didn't mess up trying to insert logic. Since the above objects now inherit the machine class, it is easy to create other scripts / prefabs / triggers to effect them.

I went through the entire cat game and made sure everything was fixed after messing with the new machine prefabs. There were some issues with the objects going back to default values or other problems. I think I fixed everything, but you never know.

Minor stuff
Fix a problem with the area modifier reverting changes when multiple area modifiers are next to each other
- Done by counting the number of active area modifers in a static variable.

Event Manager will now create itself if it is needed (for button presses)
- Some scripts now use the event manager to do the button presses instead of in their own script

Bullet grabs the material and the sorting layer from the guy character so that they are the same

Block trap now has a delay between how fast the sound can play between objects of its type
- Nobody likes 100x of the same effect being blasted withing half a second. Set to 1/10 the clips length delay

+other stuff dealing with Unity updates and various script things

Let me know if anything is amiss in this version. I may have missed something in the cat game scenes (did ~10 playthroughs and fixed things that came up).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 02:18:49 AM by RegalPrime »

radicalero

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 39.0 Firefox 39.0
    • View Profile
Re: RegalPrime-UnityEngine v1.4 - 8-8-15 - Engine update + new download
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2015, 12:47:53 PM »
Thanks for continue updating this awesome asset.