Author Topic: Mechanical keyboard?  (Read 4921 times)

Nauhst

• Wannabe
  • I hope to look forward to lots, and lots of fun!
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 35.0.1916.153 Chrome 35.0.1916.153
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Mechanical keyboard?
« on: July 06, 2014, 01:53:12 PM »
Hi, I was just wondering what others do here. When I first started playing fangames I used a mechanical keyboard (SteelSeries 6G v2) but I kept having trouble doing small jumps so I tried a cheapo keyboard and I found it much easier to do jumps like diamonds, double diamonds, M jumps and stuff like that. Now I have switched back to my mechanical keyboard and I found that while it is easier to do diamonds for me now, it still is a little harder and I also have a harder time doing ledge jumps and other jumps in that vein. What do you guys use for fangames?

infern0man1

• ~(=^・ω・^)ψ
  • Global Moderator
  • Oatmeal Killer
  • Dear sir stroke madam, fire exclamation point
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Safari Safari
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Mechanical keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 01:59:14 PM »
I use a Razer Blackwidow. Ledge jumps are usuallly really easy for me to get on, easier still when I can move only a few pixels at a time.

Though recently I've been having trouble. Not with getting on and off of simple ledge jumps (like those in TAS), but I have trouble getting off of those that involve having to make a quick turn after jumping, doing some form of an F jump, getting through a small gap immediately afterwards, etc. I don't know why, it's just that I hesitate too much. I'm still stuck on room 47 of Defeat the Arrangement because of this.

Denferok

• Community Manager
  • The Kid
  • Administrator
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • My stream
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 02:16:01 PM »
I also use a Razer Blackwidow ultimate and I have no problem with shorthopping. Jumps like ledges should make no difference whatsoever no matter what keyboard you use. Sure you might have problems on a different keyboard because of muscle memory, but it shouldn't make a difference in the long term.

Nauhst

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 02:50:33 PM »
I also use a Razer Blackwidow ultimate and I have no problem with shorthopping. Jumps like ledges should make no difference whatsoever no matter what keyboard you use. Sure you might have problems on a different keyboard because of muscle memory, but it shouldn't make a difference in the long term.

I was thinking that the ledge jumps and the like probably had more to do with muscle memory since I just changed back. I still have a harder time with the small jumps though, maybe it is just technique or maybe some other switches would be better. I can still manage with what I have though :)

Denferok

• Community Manager
  • The Kid
  • Administrator
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • My stream
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »
Ledge jumps are easier with certain aligns

Kefit

• Spike Dodger
  • The Former Wild Draw Four of America
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 28.0 Firefox 28.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 03:16:36 AM »
I've got a mechanical CM Storm Quickfire Pro with brown cherry switches. I can consistently do three pixel moves, which require two frame inputs on the arrow keys from my right hand. I am fairly inconsistent at two frame jumps, but that's probably just because my left hand sucks compared to my right hand. I can do one frame jumps often enough that ceiling double diamonds aren't a huge pain in the ass. I did an o-ring mod for my jump and arrow keys a few weeks ago, which I think made one and two frame inputs a little easier.

A friend of mine who plays fangames recently switched from brown switches to blue switches. He says that two frame inputs for him were slightly easier on browns, but it's not a huge difference. I'm pretty interested in a report from someone who has tried red switches with I Wanna, though I wouldn't be surprised if the difference is negligible.

It's perfectly conceivable that there are better keyboards for 1-2 frame inputs than cherry switch mechanicals. However, cherry switches provide a standardized keystroke method that should be identical across different keyboards that use the same switches. This makes comparing and choosing a keyboard easy. This is as opposed to non-mechanical keyboards, which don't really have any standardized keystroke mechanism that can be easily assessed and compared with others. Moreover, cherry switches are "good enough" for I Wanna and are a pleasure to use for typing and everything else you do on your computer. I think these are the reasons that mechanical keyboards have become the go-to for keyboard players.

Plynq

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 09:04:20 AM »
I use Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 with Cherry MX Blue For Platforming and
Cm Storm Quickfire TK with Cherry MX Red for Avoidance.

Nauhst

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 03:12:45 PM »
On a whim I bought a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 with Cherry MX Blue as well and it feels much better doing platforming with this than the Sidewinder.

Wolsk

• The Kid
  • Wolsky McKitty :3
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 35.0.1916.141 Chrome 35.0.1916.141
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 03:43:25 PM »
BlackWidow Ultimate 2012 here.  I can one-frame/two-frame and do ledge jumps with relative ease.
meow :3

Why are you complaining about being a meme? this is a positive thing