Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Derf

Pages: [1] 2
Game Design / Re: I Wanna Spook Jam Contest + Collab (8/14 - 9/30)
« on: August 14, 2016, 07:34:23 PM »
👀

Game Design / Re: Medley how?
« on: August 13, 2016, 09:02:50 PM »
There's a very easy-to-find decompiler for GM 8/8.1 as Kyir said. There's no known decompiler for GM:S since it compiles in a completely different way than previous iterations of GM. If you want extract code from GM:S games, then you're out of luck; but if you want music/image files then you can use Resource Hacker to get them. I've used it on a few games to get sprites for similar purposes in the past.

The only thing I would say is that make sure you credit where you get everything from.

Good luck :~)

General Discussion / Re: Delete
« on: July 29, 2016, 06:40:42 PM »
Hey Shoe, was writing a response to this yesterday but struggled to find the correct words. I'll respect your decision of deleting the post by being as vague as possible here and just say that some of the things you mentioned that are happening outside of the forums I have experience with, so if you ever need someone to talk to don't be afraid to send me a PM.

Best of luck :~)

Game Design / Re: Required reading for new developers
« on: July 20, 2016, 12:09:48 PM »
Good thread. A few thoughts:

When choosing aesthetics it is better to be subtle than flashy. Scrolling graphics, heavy particle usage and clashing colors will cause annoyance and eye strains.

I agree with the general principle that graphics should never detract from gameplay, however what you say here isn't really true. It's very possible to pull off flashy graphics, contrasting colours, heavy particle usage & scrolling graphics without them causing annoyance or eye strain (though probably not all at once). The underlying principle here is solid, but I think this is less of a rule and more of a preference on your part.

Export your game as a standalone exe or a zip, and not an installer.

I think when people do this it's just because they haven't worked out that GM:S picks NSIS installer as its default export type; it's worth mentioning to newcomers that you can click the drop down to select a runtime application (.exe).

Don't include inappropriate content that puts streamers at risk for being banned. It may be funny or artistic, but being able to stream games is more important than that.

Though, to some people it's not. This is a good warning to those unaware, but for some (including myself) streaming ability is far less important than artistic coherence.

Playtesting is super important. If you spend 100 hours making a game, you don't want a few segments to be huge roadblocks or a mechanic to be confusing. Spending like 5 hours working with playtesters and changing things can make your game be twice as enjoyable, not exaggerating. It can be easy to overlook playtesting when you're finishing your game and you're exhausted, but you absolutely have to have other people play your game and point out things you can't see. Hm, it might be nice if someone wrote a longer piece about playtesting fangames.

Great point. To expand on this though, be discerning about who you pick to playtest. You want a good slice of skill level from your testers to ensure the game is interesting enough for hardcore players but not impossible for novice players & that the difficulty settings reflect this accurately. Obviously this isn't true if you're purposefully making a very hard game, but I think most people want to open their games up to as wider audience as possible.

Another thing to be mindful of when picking testers is if you're exclusively using friends. Sometimes it's hard to be fully honest with someone when you like them and don't want to hurt their feelings. If you think your playtesters might be holding back, push them to be more critical and try choosing people you are less close to in the future. Sometimes streamers like Stonk & Paragus can be good for this as you're getting their live reaction (though the chat should be taken with a pinch of salt in situations like this).

Also a longer piece on playtester both for what to do if you're a playtester & if you're the creator would be cool, yeah.

Video Discussion / Re: 0px jump
« on: January 24, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »
Also, if you don't like reading long text walls that don't even have anything to do with you, why did you even reply? It looks like you're the one who wants to make drama.
I was just here because it was brought up to my attention. I was just implying that you shouldn't feel offended because the one random dude called you out on it. But it's fine if you want to feel that way.
Whoa Seph, no need to start drama. JGB was just calmly explaining himself.

Unfinished / Incomplete / Re: I wanna Explore Space (Testers Wanted)
« on: January 24, 2016, 09:39:58 AM »
Gave up at the avoidance. I didn't really give it much of a go, so it's nothing bad (I actually liked the song pick + visuals a lot), they're just not my thing and something I don't care to spend time learning.

I thought it was a charming game that was fun, though it had quite a few flaws:

-The songs in the game are at such inconsistent volumes. Honestly some of these were ear-splittingly louder than others. Not only that but some of the songs are very short which means there's a lot of fading in and fading out.

-Save difficulty and save length varied wildly. Some saves in the last world that I played were as easy as in the first, and vice versa. I suppose overall the third level was harder than the first, but there's not much in it really, it was very inconsistent.

-Some screens were just full of moving images, flashing lights, animated sprites etc. It was just very cluttered and distracting, in the world before the avoidance particularly. Also vines are hard t see with the first world's tileset.

I liked it though. You have a nice style.

User-Made Creations / Re: I Wanna be the 128
« on: January 20, 2016, 07:45:27 PM »
That's for ねころんEdition; it doesn't do that in Lemon's engine I don't think
Yeah I'm pretty sure this is correct.

User-Made Creations / Re: I Wanna be the 128
« on: January 20, 2016, 06:10:27 PM »
Sadly, this is in Lemon Engine.
Make sure to change the way the water is coded if you're gonna use some.
Is lemon water bad? I use lemon for a few of my projects and I've never encountered an issue with it.

Unfinished / Incomplete / Re: I Wanna Be The Doetielast v.0.1.9
« on: January 18, 2016, 04:10:04 PM »
So in the first platforming room after the hallway (with the text and the three saves) if you die the game softlocks you and you have to close it and open it again to have another try - each time you die it softlocks, and each time you die you have to do this. As soon as you get to the next save this problem stops though.

The production value is high and even though graphically it isn't my cup of tea I can appreciate the work you put into it. However the level design I found really lacklustre, I don't like triggers and I hate the gimmick of having to go through a room multiple times to go into little nooks to trigger the spikes to shift around. This might be more of a problem on my end because I just don't like that kind of level design though. Overall pretty positive so far apart from the fact I find the level design kinda boring.

I know it is a fundamental rule of the fangame community, to not mention anything about private games, and of course not distributing any of them, yet i am posting this just because of my curiosity.
It's fine to talk about them, some streamers might not like it, but in general I've never seen anyone told off for talking about them. Though distributing them is somewhat contentious yeah.

First of all, I can not understand why game developers delete a game download link, even though they already distributed it to others. I mean, they didn't wanted to keep their game forever as private, or just share with some specific people. At first it was completely distributed by themselves, but why they suddenly deleting it? For what reason? I should really ask this, I guess that most of private fangames weren't 'private' before. Because some of them have been famous.
Den answered this pretty succinctly. Some are private from the get go. And some are only distributed as betas to friends and never make it to a release.

The next and a last question, why it became a very sensitive issue to mention and to distribute the private fangames? Is this because of the copyright? I meant, the copyright proprietor of the whole fangames is a creator who made 'I wanna be the guy'. Isn't it?
No. It's just common courtesy. If someone no longer wants a game distributed then why would you defy them? It's not illegal and most private fangames can be obtained behind closed doors anyway. It's not to do with copyright.

Help, Suggestions & Feedback / Suggestion for Arts & Entertainment board
« on: January 13, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »
Get rid of all the child boards and have it all as just one board. Most of them only have a few threads in them and the separation between the themes of the boards seem arbitrary.

I think to qualify as a beginner needle game one would have to have a save point on every platform you can stop on that's after a tricky jump. :) And I don't think such a fangame exists.
Why though? This is a very arbitrary distinction to make. The beginner games there are all good for beginners because of their low difficulties which are created by a range of different reasons, only one of which being save placement.

I agree that they should have their genre listed next to them though.

Programming Questions / Re: Back to hub key?
« on: January 12, 2016, 05:51:03 AM »
Put a keyboard press event for whatever key you want in the world object and put code to the effect of this:

Code: [Select]
with(objPlayer){
     instance_destroy();
}

room_goto(rHub);

Game Design / Re: RNG in avoidance. Doing it RIGHT.
« on: January 11, 2016, 02:53:51 PM »
I agree with the comments of this thread so far. Programmatically this is not hard to achieve, but logistically I think it would grind against people. It would be very hard to test individual attacks in a vacuum since the issues may occur when they link up meaning every trial would have to be a full run through. Though contradicting that, you might be able cut costs by decreasing the amount of seeds logarithmically between attacks as people will, generally, see each consecutive attack less than the previous one (provided they don't beat the boss in one attempt). They will always see the first attack, and they will see each attack either at least as many times, or more likely, less frequently.

Though I think another idea that might work would be to code prevention techniques for walling. Such as having the boss keep an internal log of its previous attack directions and making sure each new "random" attack is not close to it, etc. This seems like good practice to have generally but I've not seen it in a lot of avoidances.

This is really nice. Don't have a nitpick at all (other than the whole page was shifted slightly to the left).

Pages: [1] 2