Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - dopaminecowboy

Pages: [1]
Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Serious fangame making questions
« on: November 26, 2016, 12:44:53 AM »
I just want to give a quick, broad response. I think much of it has been said anyway.

When we make something, of course we want people to like it. I want that very badly. But once it's out there, it belongs to the player. They will do, feel, or say whatever they want about it and there's nothing we can do. That is an essential part of the creative process. Every player is different and every creator processes criticism differently. It is very hard to expect anything when it comes to that.

Releasing something you've made is a risk. It is hugely vulnerable. You can no longer control what happens to it, and I think that is, in part, why so many games go private.

However, giving your game (your time, your idea, your effort) to the players is a healthy transition, and for better or for worse it is eventually purgative. Later you can look back at everything you've done, forgetting the criticisms and just remembering where you were and what you put into it -- and that you did something with your time on earth.

That's all you can do.

User-Made Creations / Re: I wanna be the Neurosis
« on: March 20, 2015, 05:53:50 AM »
This game is finished and will be going up on the wiki within a day or two in its current state. It has been fully tested but I'm posting it here first hoping any bugs that might have slipped by will be found.

If you played it in September, there is much more content and the shittier areas have been removed or modified. If you played it within the last week, only the end is new but you must start a new run to see all of it.

A couple of notes:
-Saves can be shot offscreen. That's intentional.
-Sometimes other screens will flash when you hit reset. Because of the way I built certain areas, I don't know if this is possible to fix. Nevermind, this has been fixed. Thanks Sudnep!

Thank you to everyone who helped and tested.

<3

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/download/l2lbqwc6bpa68ua/I+wanna+be+the+Neurosis.rar

(click to show/hide)

« on: September 17, 2014, 04:30:48 AM »
Thanks for the screens! They're really helpful :)

Some specifics:

The sphincter screen will go. Everything about it is bad.

That missing block is definitely not intentional.

I need to rebalance the last section completely (the one you stopped at). It's way harder than the rest of the game.

There are a couple of screens where I allowed the player to save off-screen for convenience's sake, but that might be an issue of poor design. I'll try to come up with better solutions.

« on: September 17, 2014, 01:10:10 AM »
Thank you! That is extremely helpful feedback. Exactly the kind of thing I needed to hear. I sincerely appreciate the time you took to play it and to explain honestly what frustrated you. :) Some of what you said I suspected was true, but ignored out of laziness and my own frustration. Also, I apologize for hurting your voice.

I think I will spend at least a few more weeks cleaning out stupid jumps and re-tiling lazy segments. I grew attached to some really stupid screens that I need to let go of and redesign.

« on: September 15, 2014, 12:50:53 AM »
This game is more or less finished. I am going through it a few more times and seeing if there is anyone else willing to test it. It is about 30 screens in total, and should be reasonable for intermediate players.

<3

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/download/l2lbqwc6bpa68ua/I+wanna+be+the+Neurosis.rar

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: How to more efficiently use record my jumps
« on: September 11, 2014, 07:35:36 PM »
This is awesome. Thank you.

User-Made Creations / Re: I wanna wake up in a strange place
« on: July 06, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »
After specific feedback, I've made some of the segments much easier to see and eliminated most of the gradient blocking.

User-Made Creations / Re: I wanna wake up in a strange place
« on: July 05, 2014, 11:48:05 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I can't really overhaul the visuals, but the linked version should now include an end screen. I also removed the red zone.

User-Made Creations / I wanna be the Neurosis
« on: July 05, 2014, 10:25:02 PM »
This game is now finished and was posted to the wiki on 3.21.15. Please let me know if you find any bugs.

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/download/l2lbqwc6bpa68ua/I+wanna+be+the+Neurosis.rar

(click to show/hide)

Pages: [1]