Author Topic: Edit sprites with glow  (Read 2687 times)

Junior Nintendista

Edit sprites with glow
« on: August 05, 2015, 08:57:28 PM »
Well, I need a program to edit this sprite as the game maker is not good, recommend me a program.

example:

Original

Game Maker

Katz

• Cherry Eater
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.130 Chrome 44.0.2403.130
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Re: Edit sprites with glow
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:17:29 PM »
Every image editing program (even gamemaker) has a tolerance level with the magic wand selection. I'd use that to the best of your abilities.

(Judging from that sprite you might need to blur out the edges when you make the cut, too)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:21:53 PM by Katz »

Derf

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 10:32:34 PM »
Yeah the magic wand tool is what you're gonna be needing to use and there's not a massive amount of difference between the version in GM and other program.

Alternatively you could try making the sprite yourself by drawing the white bar in the middle and using glow settings. GM's aren't that advanced but you could still do something serviceable with them.

infern0man1

• ~(=^・ω・^)ψ
  • Global Moderator
  • Oatmeal Killer
  • Dear sir stroke madam, fire exclamation point
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.133 Chrome 44.0.2403.133
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 11:17:08 PM »
Increase the size of the eraser; the edges of the eraser mark will be a lighter alpha,  like the smooth edge option.

klazen108

• Administrator
  • The Kid
  • your a kid now your a squid now
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.125 Chrome 44.0.2403.125
    • View Profile
    • Delicious-Fruit
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 08:50:49 AM »
I use a plugin for Paint.net called 'Alpha Mask' - this works great if the background is a solid black/white like that:

You just need to select the entire image, then copy it, and then choose the 'paste from clipboard' option in the plugin.

ALTERNATIVELY you could use an additive blend mode while drawing that sprite, that's probably what was intended - in additive blend mode, sprite colors are added to what's already on the screen, and since black is (0,0,0) the background colors are not changed. The bright parts also look "shinier", for this reason additive blend mode is often used for special effects like fire, sparks, magic, etc.
Code: [Select]
draw_set_blend_mode(bm_add);
draw_self();
draw_set_blend_mode(bm_normal);
(click to show/hide)

Get the Alpha Mask plugin here
Get Paint.NET here
How to install plugins in Paint.NET

Junior Nintendista

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 11:22:55 AM »
I use a plugin for Paint.net called 'Alpha Mask' - this works great if the background is a solid black/white like that:

You just need to select the entire image, then copy it, and then choose the 'paste from clipboard' option in the plugin.

ALTERNATIVELY you could use an additive blend mode while drawing that sprite, that's probably what was intended - in additive blend mode, sprite colors are added to what's already on the screen, and since black is (0,0,0) the background colors are not changed. The bright parts also look "shinier", for this reason additive blend mode is often used for special effects like fire, sparks, magic, etc.
Code: [Select]
draw_set_blend_mode(bm_add);
draw_self();
draw_set_blend_mode(bm_normal);
(click to show/hide)

Get the Alpha Mask plugin here
Get Paint.NET here
How to install plugins in Paint.NET
Thanks