Author Topic: I Wanna Be The Anarchistificationator Update 6-19-2015 "Build 6"  (Read 9446 times)

TheGamerGuy500

• Cherry Eater
  • I'm a gamer and a guy, video-game-music junkie...
  • Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mac OS X 10.9.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 40.0.2214.111 Chrome 40.0.2214.111
    • View Profile
    • TheGamerGuy500 HQ
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
I Wanna Be The Anarchistificationator Update 6-19-2015 "Build 6"
« on: February 17, 2015, 09:15:56 PM »
Not too long after the canning of I Wanna Be Gaming, I realized that I could make something good if I start from scratch.

Enter I Wanna Be The Anarchistificationator. A typical 100 Floor game with inspiration from Wings of Vi, Not Another Needle Game, and many others. You'll find references to these games.
Each group of 10 floors will have their own theme and song.
I'll figure out what else to write here as I progress in development.
I will attempt to fix anything bad that the community points out, but please don't expect perfection :atkCry: .
Oh yeah about the emergency broadcast thing in the intro, you can skip the whole thing by disabling the music (CTRL-M) twice, or wait until the second message after the EOM (3 shorter beeps) sounds, then press shift.
Without further ado, here's some screenshots.
(click to show/hide)
I'll be looking forward to feedback on what's good and what's bad. Constructive criticism is appreciated.
Try it out by clicking here.
CHANGELOG! (This stuff is a good read)
(click to show/hide)
Also a dev blog video showcasing what I've been working on recently.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:18:50 AM by TheGamerGuy500 »
Pro tip: you gotta run and jump at the same time!
Notice: She doesn't stop spinning.

:KappaHD:

lawatson

• The Kid
  • I do things and I make things.
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: I Wanna Be The Anarchistificationator (Early Prototype)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 09:39:50 PM »
Will give it a try! I'll update the post regarding my thoughts on it.

FIRST THINGS I NOTICE: Pushing aside the Lite Logo (ech), the game is promising! I like the tutorial, assets, and music choices! Gimmicks like the potions sound nice, as well. I'll check in later for my thoughts on the platforming.

GOOD THINGS TO HIGHLIGHT: Save blockers! I'm glad you put some thought into blocking the saves. I like the tiles and backgrounds, too.

TECHNICAL PROBLEMS: The screen is resizable, and that kinda bugs me. There's a check box in the Global Game Settings area which you can uncheck to prevent this.

PLATFORMING: Whoa jesus christ! First three floors and it transitions from block platforming to some more difficult spike jumps. Really big spike in difficulty there. This isn't all that light hearted towards beginners, I'll say that much. The potions are fine as a gimmick, but the platforming related to them is kind of hard to execute.

BAD THINGS TO HIGHLIGHT: First off, you die from "walking" into a spike even if a block is in the way.
(click to show/hide)
Another thing, the water is opaque as fuk. Reduce some of its alpha.

I don't feel like updating the post right now, but try to reflect on some of the stuff I talked about earlier.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:21:13 PM by lawatson »
(click to show/hide)

smoke weed everyday

TheGamerGuy500

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • TheGamerGuy500 HQ
Re: I Wanna Be The Anarchistificationator (Early Prototype)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 02:55:56 PM »
Yeah, I noticed the difficulty spike and modified the second floor to flow more smoothly into the 3rd one which teaches you spike jumps.
I made the screen resizable because of the crash issue where sometimes it crashes upon death (no clue why it happens) and if you have the window maximized you can hit the close button if task manager isn't available (IE school computer).
Also the hard platforming related to the potions I could nerf, I'm not that great of a guygame player so I thought if I playtest it and can get through it, it shouldn't be THAT hard for many others...
I might be underestimating myself.
Thank you for the review, it's constructive criticism that makes this game better :BloodTrail:

EDIT: Also if you could find a way to remove the lite logo without having a freakin winning lottery ticket laying around, I'd love to know  :BibleThump:
EDITS EDIT: Found a license key floating around on the internet. Go team.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:05:25 PM by TheGamerGuy500 »

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 40.0.2214.115 Chrome 40.0.2214.115
    • View Profile
Re: I Wanna Be The Anarchistificationator Update 2-18-2015 "Build 2"
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 01:28:13 AM »
You really need a better name for it.

TheGamerGuy500

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • TheGamerGuy500 HQ
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 10:07:02 AM »
It may seem like a long name but it's actually only a choice of how every other name I thought of (and there were a lot) were already used by other fangames. I eventually settled with this one. Now that I think about it I would rather have chose something else before starting  :denRin: .

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 05:56:23 PM »
It's not about being long, it's about making you look like you're 12. Unless that's what you're aiming for. Never too late to change it though. Except after release. Then it's too late to change it.

kilgour22

• Cherry Eater
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 35.0 Firefox 35.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 07:08:25 PM »
Man... it really feels like a bad NANG/Rekt spinoff. And what on earth is with screen 13? RNG with the spike block directions? Beyond shitty to grind. You can't figure out a good way to do that screen, you basically just keep resetting hoping for good RNG. It's like a shitty avoidance fight, except with platforming.

A lighter introduction to the float gimmick would be much better. Right now, it's a hard intro into it. Your production value is very good and the effort you put in definitely shows there. Your difficulty starts off ridiculously easy then spikes suddenly. The nerfing of the jumps takes away from the visual appeal of the screens; dropping a spike down a little makes jumps look... what's the word I'm looking for... unclean. The fact that you start in the same spot on each screen with the same general layout really irritates me because I don't feel excited to complete a screen; it feels like I just redo a different variant of the screen.

I like the music. I like the sound effects. I like the spriting. The foundation is all there to make a good game. And it's not awful, it just feels like a bad spinoff of two well-known games that was executed decently. Spike jumps need to be more creative instead of just repeated nerfed/unnerfed angles and gates.

Sorry to sound harsh.
Don't let a spike ruin your day.

TheGamerGuy500

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • TheGamerGuy500 HQ
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 08:54:57 PM »
Man... it really feels like a bad NANG/Rekt spinoff. And what on earth is with screen 13? RNG with the spike block directions? Beyond shitty to grind. You can't figure out a good way to do that screen, you basically just keep resetting hoping for good RNG. It's like a shitty avoidance fight, except with platforming.

A lighter introduction to the float gimmick would be much better. Right now, it's a hard intro into it. Your production value is very good and the effort you put in definitely shows there. Your difficulty starts off ridiculously easy then spikes suddenly. The nerfing of the jumps takes away from the visual appeal of the screens; dropping a spike down a little makes jumps look... what's the word I'm looking for... unclean. The fact that you start in the same spot on each screen with the same general layout really irritates me because I don't feel excited to complete a screen; it feels like I just redo a different variant of the screen.

I like the music. I like the sound effects. I like the spriting. The foundation is all there to make a good game. And it's not awful, it just feels like a bad spinoff of two well-known games that was executed decently. Spike jumps need to be more creative instead of just repeated nerfed/unnerfed angles and gates.

Sorry to sound harsh.
I appreciate the feedback.
I was trying to make sure there was a specific theme to each floor. That's kind of hard to do when you don't have many gimmicks to introduce or are saving them for later worlds.
The whole reason the nerfed jumps exist is from playtesting, people were reporting some AIDS jumps and I have to make them easier without making some overused jumps like gates or whatnot. I'm running out of non-gimmick jump ideas :atkCry: .
The whole start-on bottom left is so that the game doesn't end up like Sealed Power where screen transitions have you questioning where you spawned at.
They told me I'm better at making features rather than level design.

TheGamerGuy500

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • TheGamerGuy500 HQ
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 09:03:43 PM »
It's not about being long, it's about making you look like you're 12. Unless that's what you're aiming for. Never too late to change it though. Except after release. Then it's too late to change it.
I tend to like sticking to a name to the very end.
Besides there's similar games out there such as the newgrounds flash game "Anarchistificationer" which is inspiration for this name.
I've got a lot of feedback on the name like "that's one hell of a name" and "never thought of that name before".
I guess I could change it if it's in THAT much need of changing, I'll need ideas though.

petsson12

• Spike Dodger
  • I'm addicted to cats
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 38.0.2125.104 Chrome 38.0.2125.104
    • View Profile
    • my livestream yo
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 06:12:53 AM »

"I wanna conceptualize the Omnitruncated Tesseract"
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Stepcore

• Cherry Eater
  • Dreamer of Wizard
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 11:17:24 AM »
The game looks quite good and the sound/music is nice.
Clicking things for info is a nice touch.
The little text message for each room is cool.

I played through the prototype, here's my Criticism/Feedback:
(click to show/hide)
:PogChamp:

TheGamerGuy500

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • TheGamerGuy500 HQ
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 12:25:08 PM »
The game looks quite good and the sound/music is nice.
Clicking things for info is a nice touch.
The little text message for each room is cool.

I played through the prototype, here's my Criticism/Feedback:
(click to show/hide)
Thanks for the feedback, I usually know why certain things are in certain ways, so I have a bit of explaining to do...
Here's what went on during development.
The platform room has a set pattern on each platform. There's one that will guarantee getting to the portal if the player is good enough. I realized my mistake with the spiked block room and nerfed it significantly.
I have went and nerfed many of the diagonals and hid the spikes so if they're under the block the under-block part is hidden. That shouldn't cause any un-seen-spike-deaths because I have most of the spikes just pushed in and not out in another direction.
Almost all of the rooms are shaped like an S, I realized. That's just how I make my screens. If I made them any other way it'd have lots of open space, not enough space, too many spikes, or lots of other design flaws IMO, I've went through different layouts and eventually had to settle on one general layout while trying to make every room look different or have different gimmicks or mechanics.
I will use the gimmicks in later worlds.
Room 14 is essentially to practice gate jumps for further ahead.
Room 19 will now have a trigger at the save to trigger the portal to change location and the sign text.
Room 20 has lots of my new row-of-blocks object which has the block parent so it should block bullets but GM was being cancer and not making it do that, I'll put bullet blockers in walls that have those (where it is necessary) think of that hype save as a freebie perhaps.
Spikes actually don't have a hitbox underneath what is rendered, I'll put an alpha-4 white unseeable fill in it so you can click it anywhere.
Float potion has some glitches, I know, I'm testing to see if pressing shift can make you regain maximum vspeed.
I've slowed down the fire's animation to give the player time to actually see the fire's hitbox. When it shoots the tiny flame out the top is when its hitbox extends. I introduced it in the tutorial if that counts.
Closing and opening the game bug is part of the engine, it creates a temp file that starts you at the coords you saved at, and the game is assigned to delete it upon closing, but it fails to actually do so.
Room 10: That's a simple background bug that's fixed due to the BG changes I have made already.

Zero-G

• [+--oo]
  • Alumi
  • Spike Dodger
  • Administrator
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • My twitch channel
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 02:11:31 PM »

he just jelly cause he didnt come up with that name :Kappa:

TheGamerGuy500

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • TheGamerGuy500 HQ
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 02:12:52 PM »

he just jelly cause he didnt come up with that name :Kappa:
Actually I never even took that name into account, joke's on you  :kappaDisco:

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 05:49:22 PM »

Hey, I've got a theme. It's not just some word with six suffixes stuck on the end of it.