Author Topic: Needing an engine...  (Read 4112 times)

mihaugoku

• Trial Wannabe
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 30.0.1599.101 Chrome 30.0.1599.101
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Needing an engine...
« on: July 02, 2014, 09:57:05 PM »
Well... I want to start making a game, but.. I need an engine for that. Can someone give a link or name of it?

Zero-G

• [+--oo]
  • Alumi
  • Spike Dodger
  • Administrator
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 35.0.1916.153 Chrome 35.0.1916.153
    • View Profile
    • My twitch channel

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 35.0.1916.153 Chrome 35.0.1916.153
    • View Profile
Re: Needing an engine...
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 02:24:52 PM »
YoSniper's engine is clearly superior.

Swordslinger

• The Kid
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 33.0.1750.154 Chrome 33.0.1750.154
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 02:41:28 PM »

Tell me when the physics are fixed :Kappa:
A Random Signature

YoSniper

• Awexome
  • Global Moderator
  • Spike Dodger
  • People regard me as a programming overlord.
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.125 Chrome 36.0.1985.125
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 09:10:12 PM »

Tell me when the physics are fixed :Kappa:
I am planning on making another rendition of my engine toward the end of this year. What physics are a problem, particularly?
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Twitter: @YoSniperGames
Twitch: yosniper

Streams happen whenever I feel like it.

Swordslinger

• The Kid
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 10:12:19 PM »
@Yosniper, I'm actually going to be serious about my answer, with the engine the physics feel weird since everyone on the wannabes is completely adapted to Yutuu, Nekeron, Lemon, Seph engines, one of the main reasons everyone convinced HAGEOE to switch to Yutuu engine. These 4 engines are whats been used for an extremely long time, yet doing something as simple as a gate jump is like doing a diamond jump on the engine. (Might be pushing it a BIT far with that but you get the idea)

Also I don't know if you fixed the water but the water feels really clunky and your jump on it is really low, again this is mainly for the fact that everyone is adapted to Yutuu. I don't know if you fixed this or not, when you're on the ground in the water, your jump height is like jumping like you were on the moon, you jump pretty damn high. Anyway, the double jump in the water feels better if its the same height as a regular double jump if you were not in water, with the water as the way it is, doing something like this: https://prntscr.com/47opo0 Would be quite a challenge.

Overall like sephalos said (A bit of a while ago) the engine has a few things going for it, however the reason why seph worked with your engine for 8bit is because he knew how to modify the engine and the physics feel a lot like yutuu and overall more enjoyable. This is really all i have to say about the engine, though there might be a little more, I hardly see any games with this engine, might be because its not on the wiki but i'm not sure.

I don't use game maker, so i never investigated the engine myself, HAGEOE is the only one who really compared the engines and made a forum post about it, which was really nice of him to do.

(Going slightly off topic) The thing that bothers me about this though and don't take this the wrong way i'm not trying to be an asshole, the post was on July 8th and you're just responding now because its been moved into game design,  It wouldn't hurt or kill you to look on the other boards and go on twitch.tv sometimes you know, that's the way to find out what's going on, it's where everything happens, a lot of people have made this point and it is indeed very true, take this under consideration and if you want if you really want to be a part of this community, the forums don't really do the trick for you.
A Random Signature

YoSniper

• Awexome
  • Global Moderator
  • Spike Dodger
  • People regard me as a programming overlord.
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 10:29:23 PM »
(Going slightly off topic) The thing that bothers me about this though and don't take this the wrong way i'm not trying to be an asshole, the post was on July 8th and you're just responding now because its been moved into game design,  It wouldn't hurt or kill you to look on the other boards and go on twitch.tv sometimes you know, that's the way to find out what's going on, it's where everything happens, a lot of people have made this point and it is indeed very true, take this under consideration and if you want if you really want to be a part of this community, the forums don't really do the trick for you.
No offense taken, but to that point, I really don't have a lot of time to spare to do that. Plus, I'm not much of a forum guy.

Yes, I generally only explore the Game Design section and the Fangames section of IWBTForums, but you try having a full-time job, and a marriage, and a schedule that is constantly getting filled with shit you don't want to do, and see if you can still manage to keep up with everything. It's simply not doable for me, and it's also the reason why part 3 of the contest results has taken so long.

In any event, I will do my best to check out the physics employed by engines like the Yuutu edition and such, and see if I can make any improvements there. Programming is a large part of my real-world  job now, so I have a lot of ideas of how to modulate the engine and make it more readable and user-friendly.
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Twitter: @YoSniperGames
Twitch: yosniper

Streams happen whenever I feel like it.

Swordslinger

• The Kid
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 11:09:49 PM »
Alright i apologize, never knew you were very busy, although one day I would like to see you be on twitch, just for a day or so or if its every now and then.

As for the engine i am glad you are looking into the Yutuu physics, because the physics in an engine, for me personally, are what matter the most.

Good luck
 :atkHappy:
A Random Signature

Sephalos

• Spike Dodger
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Gamepad
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 03:43:00 AM »
No offense taken, but to that point, I really don't have a lot of time to spare to do that. Plus, I'm not much of a forum guy.

Yes, I generally only explore the Game Design section and the Fangames section of IWBTForums, but you try having a full-time job, and a marriage, and a schedule that is constantly getting filled with shit you don't want to do, and see if you can still manage to keep up with everything. It's simply not doable for me, and it's also the reason why part 3 of the contest results has taken so long.

In any event, I will do my best to check out the physics employed by engines like the Yuutu edition and such, and see if I can make any improvements there. Programming is a large part of my real-world  job now, so I have a lot of ideas of how to modulate the engine and make it more readable and user-friendly.
The phisics are an easy fix. If I remember correctly the only problem with it is the max falling speed which should be set to 9.

My main problem with YoSniper engine for me was the way the collision with blocks was coded. The collision with walls on the left and right are a bit off and makes the player wobble when jumping on edges. The collision with the ceiling will stop you from double jumping under it if you are too close to the ceiling, I tried fixing that one but just couldn't find a good way other than revert to solids.

Unfortunately solid objects didn't work very well with what I had already coded in IWBT8b.