Author Topic: I Wanna Be Gaming! update 12-23-14 "Alpha Build 2" (CANNED PROJECT)  (Read 5042 times)

TheGamerGuy500

• Cherry Eater
  • I'm a gamer and a guy, video-game-music junkie...
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 35.0.1916.153 Chrome 35.0.1916.153
    • View Profile
    • TheGamerGuy500 HQ
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
PROJECT CANNED DUE TO MASSIVE FAILURE.
I got a bit bored in game maker and then I decided to begin making an actual game with the knowledge that I have obtained.
This is a prototype, just to see what needs to stay and what needs to go. There will be more to come soon.
I would like to see what everyone thinks so far of the game, some of the levels might look bad but I'll rework on those later.
Also it's designed more on introducing new players to the mechanics of Fangames for the first parts.
So without further ado, I'll just link up the game. It's sorta complete, has an ending but it is still a WIP, so here you go.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnobrfhf56c53l1/I%20Wanna%20Be%20Gaming%21%20PA2.zip?dl=0
The game is mostly about concepts and ideas that I have had over the years but some are gonna be hard to implement, so this isn't a real serious game just yet (ahem escape sequence)
SCREENIES!
(click to show/hide)
Reminder: It IS a prototype and there will be fixes to certain aspects in here later, along with fixes and such based on your comments. I'll have this topic open and reloading regularly to see new feedback. I've got a lot of time on my hands to make this the best damn game I've ever made.
CHANGELOG!
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 01:35:39 AM by TheGamerGuy500 »
Pro tip: you gotta run and jump at the same time!
Notice: She doesn't stop spinning.

:KappaHD:

wolfy135

• Wannabe
  • Keepo
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Place I stream
Re: I Wanna Be Gaming! prototype
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 10:00:15 PM »
I spent about 10 mins playing this game before I was lagged really bad in the water exploration screen.
Honestly, this whole game seems like a big train-wreck. It seems that nothing is in that much of an order, and some of the levels just seem really long and have nothing good to do in them, except walk left, right and maybe jump. There seems to be no challenge involved, but maybe I didn't get that far.
Some of the tile sets look nice, but this seems far from an enjoyable game. Everything just seems placed there, and has no good level design.
I don't wanna offend you, but this really isn't that good of a game. I want to see somewhat of a challenge within the start of the game, even if it isn't that hard. It is quite a boring game to start, and not many people will want to continue on.
In a nutshell, the game is all over, and needs some kind of  sense of what it wants to be. I know it is a prototype, but I will come back and visit it when it has more to offer, and in a higher completion stage.
Sorry if I offended you, I am just giving back my criticism to try to make this a better game, because I can see that you have possible potential to make something good.
-Wolfy
\ PRAISE THE MIGHTY DINGO /
also follow me on twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/wolfy135 ;)

TheGamerGuy500

• Cherry Eater
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • TheGamerGuy500 HQ
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 10:12:08 PM »
I completely understand, and I know there's much to fix and recreate, put some spitshine on, and make better. I was lacking in creativity during the creation of the first levels and rooms and got a little bit better as I went, the later levels show this.
I've got until the end of the summer to get this stuff all intact.

Derpyhoovesiwbtg

• Spike Dodger
  • ''My hands hurt''
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Clickity click!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 06:33:39 AM »
whats with all the Everybody Edits stuff?  :atkWut:
I have no idea what to put here.

Anyway, a lot of things have changed to myself in the past. I wont visit the forum much, but i will check out the streams once in a while.

TheGamerGuy500

• Cherry Eater
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • TheGamerGuy500 HQ
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 02:04:32 PM »
whats with all the Everybody Edits stuff?  :atkWut:
XD... everybody edits has such a massive tileset everything is possible.
I think they won't mind if I "borrow" some tiles, I'm not making profit offa this lol

wolfy135

• Wannabe
  • Keepo
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Place I stream
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 03:58:56 PM »
If I could suggest one thing, is that in the start of the levels, remove a lot of the area that has no use, like the ride to the crash, it is just too long and got boring. Now, I didn't play with music so I can't make a note on that, but there is just so much dead space with no use, and bores some people from continuing on.
also follow me on twitch

TheGamerGuy500

• Cherry Eater
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • TheGamerGuy500 HQ
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 06:02:10 PM »
If I could suggest one thing, is that in the start of the levels, remove a lot of the area that has no use, like the ride to the crash, it is just too long and got boring. Now, I didn't play with music so I can't make a note on that, but there is just so much dead space with no use, and bores some people from continuing on.
I see. Yeah now that I think about it the empty space could use some stuff to fill it up.
I'll attempt to rework the first parts.
Also the music selection is unlike any other fangame using music ranging from Bucky O'Hare to Megaman Sprite Game.
I'm adding a level select for debugging, so you can get past the laggy underwater area, just jump to the left in the first intro level.
The bosses are kinda makeshift for until the fangame tutorial post adds the section on boss movement.
I look forward to feedback on what needs to stay and what needs to go.

wolfy135

• Wannabe
  • Keepo
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Place I stream
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 07:42:27 PM »
I see. Yeah now that I think about it the empty space could use some stuff to fill it up.
Also the music selection is unlike any other fangame using music ranging from Bucky O'Hare to Megaman Sprite Game.
I'm adding a level select for debugging, so you can get past the laggy underwater area, just jump to the left in the first intro level.
The bosses are kinda makeshift for until the fangame tutorial post adds the section on boss movement.

If I am correct, for boss movement, I know some people use paths, but I think there is a way better way to do movement on bosses. I will try the new update and see how the rest of the game is.
also follow me on twitch

TheGamerGuy500

• Cherry Eater
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • TheGamerGuy500 HQ
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 02:20:57 PM »

If I am correct, for boss movement, I know some people use paths, but I think there is a way better way to do movement on bosses. I will try the new update and see how the rest of the game is.
I'll take a look at the code for the built in test boss and see what I can do.

EDIT: So for right now the bosses are mostly just bouncing heads because I tried using timelines twice with no success. Paths are mostly working.
It's been 4 months, holy jesus. I've been working on this thing ever since last release. Hope my next reply doesn't count as a necropost. (Looked it up, it'd be only necroposting if it's irrelevant)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:12:30 PM by TheGamerGuy500 »

TheGamerGuy500

• Cherry Eater
  • Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mac OS X 10.9.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.95 Chrome 39.0.2171.95
    • View Profile
    • TheGamerGuy500 HQ
Re: I Wanna Be Gaming! update 12-22-14 "Alpha Build 1"
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 01:34:01 PM »
After over 5 months the game has finally received an update so this topic can be alive again (right?)
Hope this isn't a 'necropost' as it is relevant to the topic (my game)