Fangames > Unfinished / Incomplete

I Wanna Be The StepMan

<< < (2/2)

ilvpag:
I recommend adding save blockers to avoid breaking save files like this: (click to show/hide)
For level design: I'm not really too sure how familiar you are with fangames, but a lot of this stuff does not progress how a normal fangame would progress. There a ton of places where you can easily save through the player killers and just completely skip segments and this is usually never done in fangames (another reason why I recommend save blockers). You say you're going for a 100f type of game so why not try to play through churatch or the conquer the blow game series? Just playing through them will give you a much better idea on how the level design is usually done in 100f games.

Now for graphics/sound/etc, I don't mind the title cards, but I really don't know how the floors you made relate to the songs on them lol (I play sm/ffr too). The gameover sound (like pieceofcheese said) is way too loud, but you already know this. The default tileset itself is fine, (click to show/hide) the entire twitch IWBTG community has some weird hate for it and it's stupid cause it looks better than 99% of the tilesets people make to replace it... but it really doesn't fit your game because of the music, of course you've already acknowledged this so I look forward to seeing what you come up with :) The song you have chosen is very nice too

Daikyi:
Yeah, I was kinda designing the levels more with the fact that people completely new to iwbtg (like, others in the ffr community), but I think I'm going to nix that.  That being said, some of the save stuff is intentional still, with the above fact in mind, although I'll definitely reconfirm that you can't break the game like that

bananaguy12:

--- Quote from: pieceofcheese87 on May 31, 2015, 02:01:40 PM ---Without downloading the game i can see that you have title cards for music. Why? We can just look in the readme if we want to know a song. No need to tell us every time we press R.
Also, please make your own tileset. The brown blocks were never in style.

The death sound is extremely annoying and hurts my ears.

The level with infinite jump and the apple maze is awful, i would re-do that.

overall, your level design isn't terrible, but i can't really make a conclusion based off of 15 screens.

--- End quote ---

The brown blocks were always in style.

lawatson:
If all else fails, you can use the guest stage blocks...Even though those are overused too, they don't necessarily look that bad. Do be sure to make sure that the player can't break their save, too. It can suck to have that happen. A last thing to highlight is just a gamemaking tip: If you find your game fun, than in most cases others will find it fun too. I hope your second game is better!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version