Fangames > Unfinished / Incomplete

I Wanna Be The Beaver v.91

(1/2) > >>

PlainZombie:
I started this game the evening of New Years Eve. It's my first fangame and only has 4 screens and a boss because I figured for a first game I should make something a bit more compact and focused to help myself understand Game Maker as well as good level/boss design. It should be noted that for super good fangame players, this probably will be kind of easy. I built the stages around my play level which is still not amazing. I'm happy with the difficulty as it is right now, but could possibly be persuaded to buff certain things ever so slightly. I'm not going for crazy hard needle game or anything. Feedback would be super welcome. I've already had a little help from Pandy and Tenshots, hence a lot of the changes I made for .91.

Here's the dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwyuwfqotbbx7bh/I%20Wanna%20Be%20The%20Beaver.rar?dl=0

Some things that are still a little busted and I'm looking to correct:
-The music doesn't restart on death (which is great) but when it gets to the end it takes a little while to loop, which causes an uncomfortable period of silence.
-Boss doesn't have a healthbar
-Boss could still use some tuning to match difficulty of rest of the game maybe
-Some of the initial menu screens could use some touching up

Not implemented:
-Very Hard mode (Same 4 screens and boss, but buffed with more spikes and maybe harder moves)
-Maybe 1 secret comprised of 2 screens or something, I dunno. That might still not make the cut.

And yes, it is still Game Maker Lite. I'm looking for ways to change that, however.

SmokeyCR:

--- Quote from: PlainZombie on January 03, 2015, 03:31:08 PM ---I started this game the evening of New Years Eve. It's my first fangame and only has 4 screens and a boss because I figured for a first game I should make something a bit more compact and focused to help myself understand Game Maker as well as good level/boss design. It should be noted that for super good fangame players, this probably will be kind of easy. I built the stages around my play level which is still not amazing. I'm happy with the difficulty as it is right now, but could possibly be persuaded to buff certain things ever so slightly. I'm not going for crazy hard needle game or anything. Feedback would be super welcome. I've already had a little help from Pandy and Tenshots, hence a lot of the changes I made for .91.

--- End quote ---
I actually liked this game. I don't care much about graphics, so my suggestions will focus on the gameplay:
-> Boss might have more attacks. I found the fight to be somewhat repetitive, since the attacks always come from the same direction.
-> "Closing the game after ending screen (likely the easiest of the things here)". Please, don't do this. It would look like a bug, and I don't think that there is a reason to do it anyway. If you want to do something after the ending screen, you could add a clear screen like most games. Or credits.
Looking forward to see more of your games  :atkHappy:

PlainZombie:

--- Quote from: SmokeyCR on January 03, 2015, 09:12:38 PM ---I actually liked this game. I don't care much about graphics, so my suggestions will focus on the gameplay:
-> Boss might have more attacks. I found the fight to be somewhat repetitive, since the attacks always come from the same direction.
-> "Closing the game after ending screen (likely the easiest of the things here)". Please, don't do this. It would look like a bug, and I don't think that there is a reason to do it anyway. If you want to do something after the ending screen, you could add a clear screen like most games. Or credits.
Looking forward to see more of your games  :atkHappy:

--- End quote ---

Alright, thanks for the suggestion for the closing thing, that's definitely good to know. Maybe I'll just make a "The End" appear too then.

Yeah the boss still needs some fine tuning. I'm still kind of working on him as a whole.

Also glad to hear you liked it in general! My current plan is to just get this game into a place where I'm happy with it and enough folks have looked at it then kind of release it to the wild. I'm not gonna go content crazy with it, I'll probably just keep it super contained and concentrated. I'm working on Very Hard now which is just tougher jumps and a tougher boss, and I'm still actively tuning the boss on Medium/Hard.

pieceofcheese87:
the platforming is alright, you should change the background and make the spikes look less like diarrhea.

PlainZombie:

--- Quote from: pieceofcheese87 on January 04, 2015, 11:26:03 AM ---the platforming is alright, you should change the background and make the spikes look less like diarrhea.

--- End quote ---

Noted, good sir. I will make the background different and the sprites less poopy looking.

Any thoughts on the boss? I feel like he needs the most work, but that might just be me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version