I Wanna Community

Fangames => User-Made Creations => Engines => Topic started by: Sephalos on April 06, 2014, 05:22:56 PM

Title: I wanna be the Engine Seph Edition
Post by: Sephalos on April 06, 2014, 05:22:56 PM
About
This is a engine I made using the Yuutu engine as a base.
I mostly made it for my self, but I would still like to share it with everyone.
This engine requires Game Maker 8.1.

Features
+ External Sound Loader
+ Options Menu
+ Rebindable Controls
+ Clean

Information
This engine assumes you have experience with GameMaker. It provides only the basics. There is no trigger system, no delicious fruits, no reverse gravity, only the base sound effects and the sprites that were needed for the engine. If you're up for it, I did leave some comments in there to help you navigate your way around.

Use the musicFunction script to add music and use the oRoomSwitch object to move between rooms.

Downloads
I wanna be the Engine Seph Edition v4.0 (https://www.mediafire.com/download/quj1hr1bw3u4jqh/IWBT+Engine+Seph+Edition+v4.0.zip) (FMOD Support)
I wanna be the Engine Seph Edition v3.1 (https://www.mediafire.com/download/nnzbacyn8hvsn4r/IWBT+Engine+Seph+Edition+v3.1b.zip) (SuperSound & CleanMem Support)
Title: Re: I wanna be the Engine Seph Edition
Post by: Sephalos on April 07, 2014, 06:59:04 AM
Updated to fix a few bugs.
Post by: klazen108 on April 12, 2014, 10:20:27 AM
I'm gonna use this engine for my contest fangame, so I'll criticize it as I go along :Kappa:
Post by: Sephalos on April 12, 2014, 02:01:05 PM
I'm gonna use this engine for my contest fangame, so I'll criticize it as I go along :Kappa:
I still have some work to put into it.
Things like a options menu for key/music config and getting rid of some useless leftover variables from the yuutu engine.
Post by: Sephalos on April 13, 2014, 12:50:50 PM
Version 2 update.
Read the ChangeLog to see a list of changes.
Post by: klazen108 on April 13, 2014, 02:26:49 PM
Quote from: Sephalos
+ The player object is now destroyed when pressing "R". +
- World Object, Press R Event. [ note: before loadgame script is executed ]
// Destroy Player Object
if instance_exists(player){ with(player){ instance_destroy(); } }

Is this an important change that I should port over to the game I'm making with version 1 of your engine? I haven't had any issues so far, just wondering what prompted you to include this.
Post by: Sephalos on April 13, 2014, 02:49:32 PM
Quote from: Sephalos
+ The player object is now destroyed when pressing "R". +
- World Object, Press R Event. [ note: before loadgame script is executed ]
// Destroy Player Object
if instance_exists(player){ with(player){ instance_destroy(); } }

Is this an important change that I should port over to the game I'm making with version 1 of your engine? I haven't had any issues so far, just wondering what prompted you to include this.
It's not that important, it's just when you press R while falling you'll keep your falling speed.
Destroying the player will reset his vertical speed.
Post by: lemonxreaper on April 22, 2014, 08:14:32 AM
I quite like the way the blood works  :atkWaifu:
Post by: HAEGOE on April 24, 2014, 05:46:54 AM
I wanted to see how this engine works, but this is incompatible with GM 8.0  :atkCry:
Post by: Sephalos on April 24, 2014, 12:01:58 PM
I wanted to see how this engine works, but this is incompatible with GM 8.0  :atkCry:
8.1 to 8.0 converter
https://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=505903
Post by: lemonxreaper on April 26, 2014, 09:24:30 PM
I was considering the other day how all of the Japanese and Korean players I have seen play cultured have had broken sound, and I was considering the differences between culture and K2 and other games produced my Japanese players such as permanence 2.
The main thing I noticed was that they other games all used the DLL, and that maybe that had something to do with it, although I have no way to be sure. I just thought I would bring it up as your engine or the games made using it might also suffer if this is the case.
Post by: Sephalos on April 26, 2014, 11:26:52 PM
I was considering the other day how all of the Japanese and Korean players I have seen play cultured have had broken sound, and I was considering the differences between culture and K2 and other games produced my Japanese players such as permanence 2.
The main thing I noticed was that they other games all used the DLL, and that maybe that had something to do with it, although I have no way to be sure. I just thought I would bring it up as your engine or the games made using it might also suffer if this is the case.
The problem with cultured's music is too inconsistent to really be sure what exacly is causing it. If I would have to guess it would be because there's too much sprites, backgrounds and sounds stored in the memory. So when it tries to load music, it can't fit certain songs into memory.

When you look at a game like Kamilia 2 & Kamilia 3, it doesn't even compare in number of screens/rooms. The only reason why it would feel like a bigger game is because you spend so much time learning and fighting the bosses.

I'll see what I can do about the DLL though, I've been wanting to make the switch so people don't have to download and install the extention.
Post by: Swordslinger on April 30, 2014, 01:13:01 PM
The problem with cultured's music is too inconsistent to really be sure what exacly is causing it. If I would have to guess it would be because there's too much sprites, backgrounds and sounds stored in the memory. So when it tries to load music, it can't fit certain songs into memory.

When you look at a game like Kamilia 2 & Kamilia 3, it doesn't even compare in number of screens/rooms. The only reason why it would feel like a bigger game is because you spend so much time learning and fighting the bosses.

I'll see what I can do about the DLL though, I've been wanting to make the switch so people don't have to download and install the extention.

I think but im not sure, the same thing happens with I Dun Wanna Be Anything, sometimes when im about to stream it and open it, i get an error "Failed to open Sxms dll" if i remember correctly, i will confirm it if i get t he error again. The deal is, once i get the error, i have to ignore it so much and the music is completely broken however the sound is completely fine. I don't know if it's an actual DLL problem or if its because the game is using a different engine.
Post by: Sephalos on April 30, 2014, 01:27:54 PM
Sxms.dll is very different and I have no experience with it. Make sure you have it in your folder. I'm really not sure just how optimized his game is, I might take a look at it to see if it might not be memory related.
Post by: Sephalos on June 15, 2014, 06:55:59 PM
Version 3 update.

Upgraded the menu with Options and Controls setup.

Read the changelog.
Post by: Sephalos on July 04, 2014, 07:57:40 AM
Version 3.1 update.

The engine now uses SuperSound.dll instead of the SuperSound extension.
Post by: HAEGOE on July 05, 2014, 09:48:04 AM
I heard that SSound has a bug that won't unload sound in windows  7 or more. is this version for fixing that bug?
Post by: Sephalos on July 07, 2014, 10:31:19 AM
I heard that SSound has a bug that won't unload sound in windows  7 or more. is this version for fixing that bug?
I added supersound.dll so people wouldn't have to go through the hassle of downloading and installing the extension. If supersound does have a bug with Windows 7 then I would need someone to test it.
Post by: pieceofcheese87 on July 07, 2014, 10:35:00 AM
Version 3 update.

Upgraded the menu with Options and Controls setup.

Read the changelog.

fuck... I wish I had this when I started cultured 2 :BibleThump:
Post by: YoSniper on August 17, 2014, 05:55:27 PM
I just tried downloading the engine for research purposes, and when I tried to open the ZIP archive, I got an error saying it was damaged or corrupted.
Post by: Sephalos on August 18, 2014, 10:28:36 AM
I just tried downloading the engine for research purposes, and when I tried to open the ZIP archive, I got an error saying it was damaged or corrupted.
That's strange, let me re-upload that.
Post by: Sephalos on December 25, 2014, 10:43:18 PM
I wanna be the Engine Seph Edition v4.0 update.

Now uses FMOD instead of SuperSound due to having too much problems with it. Check the readme for a list of changes. The old version will still be available for those who feel more confortable with SuperSound.
Post by: Dakaarts on March 04, 2015, 10:31:58 PM
Hello, I have a problem with your 4.0 version of the engine. The FMOD is not working correctly, it gives me the following error when the game plays a sound inside a room where the player is.

for object player:

In script playerJump:
Illegal argument count calling script "FMODSoundPlay".
Script requires 2 arguments, 1 have been supplied.

Here pictures:

https://imgur.com/tSFZ1bN,buWUjYF,wbIAyLh,WYynq39

Running on Windows 7.
Pirate version of GM8.1

What do I do? Thanks.
Post by: Sephalos on March 05, 2015, 07:34:08 AM
Hello, I have a problem with your 4.0 version of the engine. The FMOD is not working correctly, it gives me the following error when the game plays a sound inside a room where the player is.

for object player:

In script playerJump:
Illegal argument count calling script "FMODSoundPlay".
Script requires 2 arguments, 1 have been supplied.

Here pictures:

https://imgur.com/tSFZ1bN,buWUjYF,wbIAyLh,WYynq39

Running on Windows 7.
Pirate version of GM8.1

What do I do? Thanks.
Try going to Resources > Global Game Setting and under the "Errors" tab check "Treat uninitialized variables as 0".

Or a better way to fix it would be to do it manually by going into the code and changing:
Code: [Select]
FMODSoundPlay(global.sndPlayerJump);to
FMODSoundPlay(global.sndPlayerJump,0,0);
There should also be one for double jump, shoot and death in the playerJump, playerShoot and killPlayer scripts.

Sorry about that, this was definitely my bad.
Good to see you getting back into making games, good luck.
Post by: Junior Nintendista on March 14, 2015, 12:47:00 PM
The extensions do not work in Game Maker 8.1 Lite.
Post by: Swordslinger on March 14, 2015, 03:31:19 PM

The lite edition is not great anyway, the pro edition is what handles the extensions
Post by: Junior Nintendista on March 14, 2015, 04:48:21 PM

The lite edition is not great anyway, the pro edition is what handles the extensions
I tried to import the files to the Game Maker 8.0 Pro but the error in musicFunctions. I converted the engine to 8.0 but the game stops responding.
(https://i.imgur.com/xFK394e.png)
Post by: Sephalos on March 14, 2015, 05:27:26 PM

I tried to import the files to the Game Maker 8.0 Pro but the error in musicFunctions. I converted the engine to 8.0 but the game stops responding.
If you need a good engine for 8.0 go for lemon engine https://www.iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=1349.0
or Nikaple engine https://www.iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=1388.0
Post by: Anon70000 on March 16, 2015, 01:42:51 PM

Converting 8.1 to 8.0 isn't working properly (for me too at least)
I can give you 8.1.91 via PM if you want
Post by: Junior Nintendista on March 16, 2015, 04:25:08 PM

Converting 8.1 to 8.0 isn't working properly (for me too at least)
I can give you 8.1.91 via PM if you want
Yes
Post by: kikones34 on April 03, 2015, 06:55:07 PM
WOW! I was about to post an engine I made, but I looked at this thread first and realized yours is very similar conceptually-wise.
I looked at it and it's really different in the inside, but still, I'm surprised to have found this xD
Well... I better write up my post now instead of starting to write it here :yao:
Post by: KingEclipsed on April 07, 2015, 04:40:51 PM
Hey, I got some errors.
if(isinst)
{
    if(inc<0)
    {
        instvol = max(dest,instvol+inc);
    }
    else
    {
        instvol = min(dest,instvol+inc);
    }
    if(code <>"")
    {
        execute_string(code);
    }

FMODInstanceSetVolume(group,instvol);
    if(instvol = dest)
    {
        instance_destroy();
    }
    exit;
}
    //show_message("G:"+string(group)+"F:"+string(instvol)+"T:"+string(dest)+"I:"+string(inc)+"GOT:"+string(FMODGroupGetVolume(group)));

if(inc<0)
    {
    }
    else
    {
    }
    FMODGroupSetVolume(group,instvol);
    if(instvol = dest)
    {
        instance_destroy();
    }

and

if(isinst)
{
    if(inc<0)
    {
    }
    else
    {
    }
    if(code <>"")
    {
        execute_string(code);
    }

FMODInstanceSetVolume(group,instvol);
    if(instvol = dest)
    {
        instance_destroy();
    }
    exit;
}
    //show_message("G:"+string(group)+"F:"+string(instvol)+"T:"+string(dest)+"I:"+string(inc)+"GOT:"+string(FMODGroupGetVolume(group)));

if(inc<0)
    {
    }
    else
    {
    }
    FMODGroupSetVolume(group,instvol);
    if(instvol = dest)
    {
        instance_destroy();
    }
and
if(!isinst)
{
    if(inc<0)
    {
        curpan = max(dest,curpan+inc);
    }
    else
    {
        curpan = min(dest,curpan +inc);
    }
    curpan-=1;
    if(code <>"")
    {
        execute_string(code);
    }
    curpan+=1;
    //show_message("G:"+string(group)+"F:"+string(curpan)+"T:"+string(dest)+"I:"+string(inc)+"GOT:");

FMODGroupSetPan(group,curpan -1);
    if(curpan = dest)
    {
        instance_destroy();
    }
    exit;
}
    if(inc<0)
    {
        curpan = max(dest,curpan +inc);
    }
    else
    {
        curpan = min(dest,curpan +inc);
    }
    curpan-=1;
    if(code <>"")
    {
        execute_string(code);
    }
    curpan+=1;
    FMODInstanceSetPan(group,curpan -1);
    if(curpan = dest)
    {
        instance_destroy();
    }
Post by: Sephalos on April 07, 2015, 04:57:55 PM
I'm not sure what you did but this seems to be a error reguarding the FMOD objects.

Redownload the engine and don't touch those objects.
Post by: DragonX611 on April 09, 2015, 07:54:12 PM
i'm currently making a fangame in this and i'm loving it! Great engine!
Post by: Kryshtal on April 24, 2015, 11:32:44 AM
I don't understand how to make room transitions, I put the oRoomSwitch object and put the code:
if room = rStage1a {
if x < 8 { room = reisen; player.x = 792; }
}

and get

FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Collision Event with object player
for object oRoomSwitch:

Unexisting room number: 725

And Klazen's tutorial uses a different method with a different engine, so I'm lost.
This is the first time I do anything programming related, so I'm pretty noob.
Post by: Sephalos on April 24, 2015, 11:53:11 AM
I don't understand how to make room transitions, I put the oRoomSwitch object and put the code:
if room = rStage1a {
if x < 8 { room = reisen; player.x = 792; }
}

and get

FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Collision Event with object player
for object oRoomSwitch:

Unexisting room number: 725

And Klazen's tutorial uses a different method with a different engine, so I'm lost.
This is the first time I do anything programming related, so I'm pretty noob.
This error is pointing that this room doesn't exist "room = reisen;". You need a valid room name here.
Post by: Kryshtal on April 24, 2015, 10:57:03 PM
Ok, it worked after I changed the name, I assume I can't have rooms and objects with the same name.

Thanks.
Post by: Aelya on April 24, 2015, 11:20:28 PM
it's good practice in general to not have any two things with the same name. also, while gamemaker will let you compile, you won't be able to export resources if you have duplicate names.
Post by: kilgour22 on April 25, 2015, 12:38:32 PM
When specifying an object, start its name with obj. An example would be objApple. Apply this same principle to sprites (spr), rooms (r), scripts (scr), etc. It becomes very important in order to keep track of everything in your game the bigger your game gets. It helps immensely!
Post by: Junior Nintendista on July 27, 2015, 12:26:32 PM
I'm getting the following error when I change the name of the object and others.

What do I do? Thanks.

(https://i.imgur.com/ezB6xyQ.png)
Post by: klazen108 on July 28, 2015, 12:10:35 AM
This is an indication that you're missing game maker's rundata file. You'll need to reinstall game maker if this occurs.
Post by: AIVV73 on February 04, 2016, 10:01:22 AM
Where i can find delicious fruit,trigers,gravity changer?
Post by: Kyir on February 04, 2016, 10:35:09 AM

Refer to this line from the original post: "There is no trigger system, no delicious fruits, no reverse gravity, only the base sound effects and the sprites that were needed for the engine."

Which is to say, you're going to have to make your own. If you're asking how to make your own, you should open up another engine and take a look at the code there.
Post by: Sephalos on February 04, 2016, 05:14:49 PM

Refer to this line from the original post: "There is no trigger system, no delicious fruits, no reverse gravity, only the base sound effects and the sprites that were needed for the engine."

Which is to say, you're going to have to make your own. If you're asking how to make your own, you should open up another engine and take a look at the code there.
Yes, what Kyir said. The reason why i removed them from the original engine is because i wanted to encourage people to make their own creative gimmicks or come up with their own version of these gimmicks.

If you absolutely need them though, it might be easier to import whatever you need from my engine to another engine that has those objects set up.