I Wanna Community

Fangames => Game Design => Topic started by: YoSniper on February 14, 2016, 12:00:28 PM

Title: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016 *RESULTS*
Post by: YoSniper on February 14, 2016, 12:00:28 PM
RESULTS
httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=981_TlQwDXo

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: Sunday, July 3

RULES FOR SUBMISSIONS:

1) Minimum of 1 Area + 1 Boss Fight
2) Include a God Mode option (toggled with Ctrl + G)
    - Immortality
    - Ability to place Kid with mouse
    - BOTH OF THESE ARE MANDATORY
3) Include a README text file with your game describing how the Creativity rules are implemented, as well as any other necessary details
4) NO JUMPSCARES - Do not push the boundaries of this rule. I mean it.

CREATIVITY RULES:
5) Include a reference to a shoe (the generic Kid's shoes cannot count toward this.)
6) Include a reference to a horn.

PRIZES:

Once total purse is determined by number of contestants, the money will be divided as follows:
- 50% to outright winner of contest (highest aggregate score from judges)
- 30% crowd favorite (mass vote at end of contest)
- 20% most creative use of Creativity rules, as determined by judges

Thank you in advance to all who participate.

CONFIRMED CONTESTANTS & ENTRIES:
1. WetWookie - I Wanna Dance With Daggers
2. Lss - I Wanna Be The Soupreme
3. 128-Up - I Wanna Escape The Basement
4. GamerGuy500 - A Gamer's Journey
5. Hop - HopPros

Link to submitted games:
https://www.mediafire.com/download/1pu3drtzfntayka/Submissions.zip

JUDGES:
1. YoSniper
2. Paragus
3. GeoGeo22
4. Patrickgh3
5. pieceofcheese87
6. just_another_Guy
7. L4Vo5
Title: Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016
Post by: infern0man1 on February 14, 2016, 02:26:25 PM
I had an idea a week ago that compelled me to make something for this contest for once; however, I have no idea how to incorporate a boss into it or any of the creativity rules for that matter without straying away from the original vision I had for the game, so rip ;;
Post by: YoSniper on February 14, 2016, 02:35:34 PM
I had an idea a week ago that compelled me to make something for this contest for once; however, I have no idea how to incorporate a boss into it or any of the creativity rules for that matter without straying away from the original vision I had for the game, so rip ;;
Well hey, you've got 4 months. You shouldn't tap out just yet. But I guess we'll see...
Post by: patrickgh3 on February 14, 2016, 02:37:52 PM
Sweet, another contest! In addition to your goal of having people come up with more interesting fangame designs, your contests are also a motivator for people to make fangames in the first place. Sometimes you just need a prompt and a deadline to get the creative juices flowing. And it's fun as a community to have events like this going on, and of course to see how people's games turned out, even if you don't participate. So, thank you.

I'm still not a huge fan of the "include references to this specific thing in your game" rules, but I like how they make fun of themselves this time. I might participate in this one, depending on how my other projects go. Oh and just to clarify, we can work in groups right?
Post by: YoSniper on February 14, 2016, 03:00:58 PM
Oh and just to clarify, we can work in groups right?
Yes, group projects are allowed.
Post by: infern0man1 on February 14, 2016, 08:22:48 PM
I mean I'm gonna make the game no matter what because I like the idea behind it; I just have to ask, if I weren't to include a boss in this, would it be outright disqualified?
Post by: YoSniper on February 14, 2016, 09:15:37 PM
I mean I'm gonna make the game no matter what because I like the idea behind it; I just have to ask, if I weren't to include a boss in this, would it be outright disqualified?
You know, I'm torn because I want you in the contest, but I also want to be fair to everyone else.

Short answer is yes. Both the one area and one boss minimums have to be met.

Long answer is, if it really does not sync with your game like you're telling me, then maybe you can make your boss fight an optional quest or something. I am very lenient on the structure of games, but the elements need to be there in some form.
Post by: HAEGOE on February 14, 2016, 09:49:25 PM
Good to see that this year won't be 'the winner takes it all' contest. The fact that people who made more creative and better-looking game didn't get the money because they didn't win the highest scores made me feel guilty.

also, about creativity rule.. can people make a reference to a shoe and horn together, or refer to them more than once(for example : boss is a shoe-wearing giant horn instrument that throws its shoes while making MLG horn noises)?
just curious. not sure I can make it this year.
Post by: YoSniper on February 14, 2016, 10:20:49 PM
Can people make a reference to a shoe and horn together, or refer to them more than once(for example : boss is a shoe-wearing giant horn instrument that throws its shoes while making MLG horn noises)?
Yes, that is allowed. Less likely to win the Creativity prize in my opinion, but it's allowed.
Post by: YoSniper on February 16, 2016, 04:29:10 PM
Hey guys, I just want to get some quick answers from the community so I can make an early decision:

One prospective participant wants to reuse his entry from last year for this year's contest (revamped to include this year's rules, of course.)

DOES ANYONE OBJECT TO THIS?
Post by: patrickgh3 on February 16, 2016, 05:22:32 PM
I don't object. Since there's not a huge number of entrants and it's a pretty casual event, I'd say it's best to be as inclusive as possible.

On the other hand, being so inclusive makes the event feel less cohesive and more arbitrary. It feels less like making a contest game alongside everyone, and more like seeing the games people would have made regardless of the contest. Having a shorter time frame would help a lot with this. But even though I would like to see the contest head in this direction, how it is now has its own benefits. It feels like an incubator rather than a jam, but being an incubator is just fine. I just personally prefer jams.
Post by: WetWookie on February 16, 2016, 05:32:43 PM
It kind of feels against the spirit of things to reuse an entry from last year unless there's a significant amount of effort that went into revamping the game. Like, if someone is putting up something from top 5 of last year with a couple of hours worth of tweaks I'd feel really unmotivated to make a whole new game to go up against it.
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on February 16, 2016, 10:46:16 PM
I've been working on a game for a little bit, but want to conform it to the contest and enter it to the contest with its rules and such, is that allowed?
Post by: YoSniper on February 16, 2016, 11:03:04 PM
I've been working on a game for a little bit, but want to conform it to the contest and enter it to the contest with its rules and such, is that allowed?
I think that's fine. I'm just more concerned about people not liking the idea of a game from a previous contest coming back in this year's contest.

ON THE GENERAL TOPIC:

For the record, it's issues like this that help enforce why I have Entertainment/Creativity rules that vary from year to year.

Anyway, only one person has said they don't like it (but hasn't outright objected.)

I'll give it until the end of the week and if there are no outright objections, I'm calling it good.
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on February 16, 2016, 11:07:57 PM
I think that's fine. I'm just more concerned about people not liking the idea of a game from a previous contest coming back in this year's contest.
Yeah, I'm not exactly against it, and this game of mine isn't even anywhere near complete yet, nor was it used from the past contest, sooo... yeah.
Post by: MatthewRPG on February 17, 2016, 06:04:02 AM
I swear I won't bail out like last time!
Count me in, YoSniper. I heard the contest was starting this so I begun work immediately.
(https://i.imgur.com/0cARdOD.png)
This is what I got so far, can't wait to see what fangames win this year.
Post by: Mr Wonderful on February 17, 2016, 03:20:12 PM
I feel like using a game you've already made (especially from last year's contest - and one that rated highly already at that) is a cop-out.

Sure, if that person adds a whole new stage and a whole new boss, it's 'as much work' as someone who made a one stage and one boss game specifically for this year's contest - but it's naive to think that the judging for the reused game will not talk one ounce of nor be affected by what was already polished and worked on last year, and to me that sounds unfair.
Post by: YoSniper on February 17, 2016, 04:47:26 PM
I decided to make a video so I can keep the whole debate in one place.

Please voice your opinion in the comments there. I will use those comments as the basis of my decision on Saturday.

httpss://youtu.be/5eI6xSpm9_8
Post by: klazen108 on February 18, 2016, 08:46:33 PM
Stickied this topic. Good luck to all the participants!
Post by: YoSniper on February 20, 2016, 08:38:19 PM
EXECUTIVE DECISION MADE:

httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65EzONiH6lk

Old game submissions are allowed, as long as all old content is excluded/made inaccessible.
Hopefully, my decision is made clear to everyone. If you're still confused by this, it might just be a better bet to submit a new project.
Post by: 128-Up on March 16, 2016, 09:40:23 AM
I apologise if this is addressed in the video, but when you say "horn" does it have to be a musical horn or can it be, say, a unicorn horn or something?
Post by: YoSniper on March 16, 2016, 04:27:43 PM
I apologise if this is addressed in the video, but when you say "horn" does it have to be a musical horn or can it be, say, a unicorn horn or something?
A musical horn, a unicorn horn, whatever kind of horn you want to use. Just make it clear in the README in case it's not obvious.
Post by: zaphod77 on March 29, 2016, 07:20:48 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if someone managed to make a game that can't be beaten even with godmode and character mouse movement, just because they can.

I suggest adding two new rules.

1) spoiler file required, explaining facts required to beat the game that may be difficult to discover.
2) if the game cannot be beaten by a judge even with the spoiler file, godmode, and mouse move, then the entry is disqualified.  This should stop any anti-cheat shennanigans programmed in.
Post by: just_another_Guy on March 30, 2016, 02:26:36 AM
2) if the game cannot be beaten by a judge even with the spoiler file, godmode, and mouse move, then the entry is disqualified.  This should stop any anti-cheat shennanigans programmed in.

This sounds a bit harsh, plus what if the judge himself is incapable of beating the game even with those methods? I dislike the idea, but if it were to be implemented, the majority of judges would have to agree to disqualify the game, not just one guy. The spoiler file sounds like a good idea though in case the game has required secrets or unexplained backtracking.
Post by: YoSniper on March 30, 2016, 04:55:27 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if someone managed to make a game that can't be beaten even with godmode and character mouse movement, just because they can.

I suggest adding two new rules.

1) spoiler file required, explaining facts required to beat the game that may be difficult to discover.
The point of God mode is to guarantee any judge's ability to beat the game. Immortality plus mouse placement was my idea of incorporating this.

The "spoiler file" you mention is basically what I intend for contestants to include in the README file, in addition to obvious explanations of how they implement the creativity rules.

As for games that cannot be beaten with God mode, I make the final decision on whether or not to disqualify them. But personally, I would think that creating such a game where it is impossible to see every last detail (with the exception of any old content for games that may have been submitted to previous contests) would defeat the whole purpose of those rules and thus warrant disqualification.
Post by: YoSniper on April 06, 2016, 04:35:09 PM
First official committed entry was submitted today. Looking forward to the rest!

You still have roughly 3 months to develop your games, and don't forget that even if you submit a game, you can replace it with a later version anytime before the deadline of July 3.
Post by: YoSniper on May 16, 2016, 09:33:23 AM
Hey guys.

This is just a quick warning that I will be out of touch for a week or so, just in case some of you decide to start submitting.

I'll be back in roughly a week to catch up on whatever I missed.

That deadline is creeping up rather quickly, so please don't delay!

Sincerely,

YoSniper
Post by: YoSniper on June 02, 2016, 04:54:17 PM
So, with the contest being about 75% done and only one committed entry, and dead silence on this thread and everywhere else I can see, and with my withering patience, I'm seriously considering just cancelling the whole thing.

If you guys can give me a reason why I should see this through to the end, I will do so, but things are looking bleak and I'm finding myself wanting to pull away from fangames entirely.

I'll give it a few days and if nothing materializes, I'll end things.
Post by: patrickgh3 on June 02, 2016, 06:06:45 PM
I think it's expected for people to work on their submissions up until the deadline. I personally know some people working on contest games and I'm sure there's more I don't know about. Pieceofcheese and I were planning to make a game, but then we started making the blind race game for the marathon with other people and that took priority.

You could consider being more casual with the administration if it's too much work. The contests are a nice community event to have, and as a bonus they bring in new game makers to our community.

This is more of a suggestion for the future, but I think 4 and half months is too long. A shorter deadline, say 1 month, would make it more approachable to enter. It's less of a commitment, the pressure is lower, you're less likely to get demotivated or fatigued with your game. And it would be easier to move the timeframe so it doesn't overlap with anything, like the marathon this time. It's also easier to manage for both participants and administrators.
Post by: YoSniper on June 02, 2016, 06:29:36 PM
It would just be easier for me personally if people would keep me in the loop at least somewhat. When a whole month goes by and no one says anything, I get the feeling that no one is going to enter (except the one guy who did.)

Anyway, if I start seeing evidence of participation, I'll live this contest out.
Post by: Kyir on June 02, 2016, 07:38:48 PM
I mean, does it really cost you anything extra to wait until the completion date to decide whether or not there are enough games to warrant judging? I can't claim to have any insider information on other people's progress, but when I took part in the first contest I wasn't super vocal about how much/little work I was doing.
Post by: YoSniper on June 02, 2016, 08:27:27 PM
I suppose ot wouldn't kill me.

Really, just the fact that 90% or more of fangames are needle/avoidance and that my opinion seems to be in tje minority has gotten to me lately.

There's still another month. Just wish that people would at least show me that they're taking part so I have a glimmer of hope.
Post by: Lss40 on June 03, 2016, 03:12:07 AM
I wasn't sure if I was going to join, kind of procrastinated with it to be honest, but I made some very good progress this last week. Pretty sure I can make it in time now. So yeah I will be sending my entry a little bit later.
Post by: YoSniper on June 22, 2016, 09:37:34 PM
Ya finally got some competition, WetWookie.

DEADLINE IS IN A WEEK AND A HALF FOR THE REST OF YOU!
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on June 24, 2016, 09:54:01 PM
I've been heavy at procrastinating "work" on my entry.
And by work I mean on and off, throughout the months. I'll essentially be cramming these last few days for it.
Post by: YoSniper on June 24, 2016, 11:38:18 PM
I've been heavy at procrastinating "work" on my entry.
And by work I mean on and off, throughout the months. I'll essentially be cramming these last few days for it.
Awesome. Hope to see it within the next week.
Title: Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016 *LAST CALL*
Post by: YoSniper on July 02, 2016, 10:20:14 PM
LAST CALL for submissions.

I don't know how late I'll stay up Sunday night, but when I wake up Monday morning, I'm calling it, regardless of how many submissions I have at that point.

For the record, this is the final contest I will be hosting.
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on July 03, 2016, 09:46:08 PM
Mine should be in. In the event that it doesn't work or the readme doesn't say where the shoe and horn are (I updated it afterward to include) then let me know, but the game tells you where they are once you get to the area and that doesn't require debug
Post by: Hop on July 03, 2016, 11:00:12 PM
I messaged you my entry as well. Let me know if there are any issues with it.
Title: Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016 *CLOSED, JUDGING TO COME...*
Post by: YoSniper on July 04, 2016, 03:29:51 PM
Contest is now closed. Thank you all to those who participated. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do about judging yet, but we'll get there.
Title: Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016 *CLOSED, JUDGING TO COME...*
Post by: patrickgh3 on July 04, 2016, 06:20:21 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the entries. And if you happen to need someone to help out with judging, I'm available.
Title: Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016 *SEEKING JUDGES*
Post by: YoSniper on July 07, 2016, 07:16:37 PM
I feel like enough stress has been relieved, so I'll open the doors for prospective judges. I'm looking for a total of 7 this time, and that's just so I can get enough votes to gather a fair consensus.
Post by: pieceofcheese87 on July 07, 2016, 11:43:50 PM
I would definitely be a judge this time around.
Post by: just_another_Guy on July 08, 2016, 03:34:36 AM
I'd like to try too, as long as the procedure is the same as last time.
Post by: YoSniper on July 08, 2016, 06:32:09 AM
One more slot left. I'm not going to bother posting this message on the Forums, so you guys have the advantage here.
Post by: L4Vo5 on July 08, 2016, 07:35:41 PM
OK i'll do it.
Post by: YoSniper on July 08, 2016, 07:51:47 PM
OK i'll do it.
SOLD!
Title: Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016 *JUDGING IN PROGRESS*
Post by: YoSniper on July 12, 2016, 09:58:26 PM
FYI, link to submissions is now in OP.
Title: Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016 *JUDGING IN PROGRESS*
Post by: WetWookie on July 13, 2016, 07:28:04 AM
For those interested in playing my submission please note that the game uses an integrated online leaderboard for completion time. Because the contest version of the game includes god mode and teleport, scores will be submitted to a temporary contest leaderboard. Anybody wishing to have their completion times counted on the official leaderboard will need to download the official release version of my game which does not have god mode and teleport. Saves between the two versions are not compatible.

httpss://delicious-fruit.com/ratings/game_details.php?id=17329

Title: Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016 *RESULTS SOON*
Post by: YoSniper on July 31, 2016, 09:16:20 AM
Just an FYI, the votes are in. I will be working on the results video this week and it should hopefully be ready by this next weekend.
Title: Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016 *RESULTS SOON*
Post by: 128-Up on August 09, 2016, 11:18:51 AM
I'm predicting these will be the final standings:

1st: Soupreme
2nd: Dance with Daggers
3rd: Escape the Basement
4th: A Gamer's Journey
5th: Untitled (HopPros)
Title: Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016 *RESULTS*
Post by: YoSniper on August 13, 2016, 09:39:49 AM
Results are in. See OP.

And with that, I bid you all adieu.
Post by: Lss40 on August 13, 2016, 12:03:00 PM
Thank you for hosting the contest YoSniper! It was a great inspiration to actually finish a game.
All of the entries looked amazing this year. Each participant definitely put a lot of effort into their game. When I first saw some of the other entries I thought I was screwed for sure!

I am glad people liked my entry. Making the game I kept thinking that maybe making an unusual game like this for a contest might be too risky, but I guess I got lucky :)

Here's a fun fact about the game: The idea for a game about collecting ingredients came from RuneScape quests "Cook's Assistant" and "Recipe for Disaster". I actually wanted to use this idea for a Minecraft adventure map some years ago, but I never finished it.
Post by: patrickgh3 on August 13, 2016, 04:10:19 PM
Thanks for hosting the contests Yosniper. Next month, September, I'm planning to host a smaller scale contest / collab, inspired by your contests. We'll see how that goes.
Post by: pieceofcheese87 on August 14, 2016, 02:25:20 AM
128 was spot on
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on November 29, 2016, 02:16:53 AM
So it has come to my attention that one of the judges (GeoGeo222) wanted a way for the community (or just me) to see what the judges (just Geogeo) thought of the (basically just my) game(s) (their individual reviews)
Ya think you could make a way for us to see those?

EDIT: found it in the video description, but that wasn't obvious from the forum page.
Whoops  :SoonerLater:
Post by: patrickgh3 on November 29, 2016, 02:21:16 AM
Is the google doc in the results video description what you want? httpss://docs.google.com/document/d/1RAkeBH4AQArvA-lFbilsruVnvndJ0GCy7Ivc_jvCAd0/edit?pageId=107747205418855740374

Edit: Ninja'd