I Wanna Community

Fangames => User-Made Creations => Engines => Topic started by: klazen108 on May 18, 2015, 10:23:47 PM

Title: I Wanna Be the Engine KS Edition (For GMStudio)
Post by: klazen108 on May 18, 2015, 10:23:47 PM
Hey Guys!

You may have heard that GM8.1 is rip (https://www.yoyogames.com/news/255)... I think I speak for everyone when I say: :BibleThump: However, this marks the beginning of a new era in fangame development... Sephalos and I have joined forces to bring you a new Fangame Engine, this time for Game Maker Studio!

Game Maker Studio is completely free and quite stable (no more asking around for downloads, or having glitchy GM8 crashes). I took the existing GMS engine on the wiki, and gave it some tender lovin' care. Then, Seph joined forces with me to do some work of his own! Here's a selection of things you'll find:
All of this on top of the new GMS platform, which gives you better performance and neat new features!

However, we'd like to ask you for your help now. We're pretty much ready to release, but we want to get some feedback from developers in the community on the physics and features we've developed for you. If any of you would like to help us make the best engine we can, please try it out and let us know what you think!

Note that we don't recommend you start any big projects with this engine just yet... while everything seems like it works, it could use a bit of testing to confirm that it's 100% stable and correct. Develop at your own risk!

Download the v0.961 Beta version of the KS Engine here! (https://klazen.com/IWBTG/archive/IWBT%20Engine%20KS%20Edition%20v0.961.zip)

NOTE: Make sure to use the "zip export" mode when compiling your final game! You need this in order for save files to appear in the same folder as your game. I don't think that's an option with standalone executable mode. If you still want to use a standalone executable, you'll have to standby until I can test and verify a method to put save files back into the AppData folder, right now they're being put in the temp folder where your game is being extracted to!

NOTE 2: This engine was developed and tested in GM Studio version 1.4.1567. I have received confirmation from yoyogames that collision detection behavior is changing for version 1.4.1598. if you use KSv0.9 or earlier in GMSv1.4.1598, no walkoff aligns will work, and spikes in blocks will kill you. Therefore, if you're using version 0.9 or earlier of the KS engine, you must use GM Studio version 1.4.1567. I am working on a fix for 1.4.1598, and I'll maintain both versions until 1.4.1598 is officially released.

Changelog:
Code: [Select]
v0.96:
-New physics engine to better match the standard Yuuutu-type physics without bugs (thanks to YoYoYoDude1!)
-Inability to bunnyhop / getting stuck in screen transitions should be fixed thanks to above
-Fixed misplaced GUI in fullscreen mode and at top of screen in general
-Cleaned up many unnecessary objects/sprites/sounds
-Added more comments in code
-Added vines

v0.9:
-Fixed roomChanger crash when walking between rooms
-Fixed player getting sucked into blocks if a platform is placed next to it

v0.8:
-Fixed walkoff aligns for all spikes
-Fixed deathtime GUI being out of place if the room scrolls
-Fixed bug with platforms that caused the player to get stuck if next to a block

v0.7:
-Added minispikes, miniblocks (note: walk-off align seems bugged for leftward-facing minispikes)
-Menu now reflects the correct keybinds for accept/back
-Added editor-only icons
-Added saveblocker object
-Fixed blood sticking to corners in midair
-Moved blood in front of spikes
-Added ability to enable/disable difficulty select

v0.6:
-Fixed music restart on F2
-Fixed sndCherry, sndBlockChange, sndBossHit missing from engine
-Added savefile indicator in main menu
-Corrected views (should be all 800x600 now)
-Added 'readme's to many objects
-Other minor fixes/alterations

v0.5:
-Intial beta release

please helperoni
                                                             we do this shit for you guys
                                             we fixeroni
Title: Re: I Wanna Be the Engine KS Edition (For GMStudio)
Post by: Sudnep on May 18, 2015, 10:37:08 PM
  • If you're used to the Seph engine, you'll be used to this one - We tried to structure it the same way!

:Kreygasm: :Kreygasm: :Kreygasm: :Kreygasm: :Kreygasm: :Kreygasm:
    SEPH ENGINE
     :Kreygasm: :Kreygasm: :Kreygasm: :Kreygasm: :Kreygasm: :Kreygasm:

Post by: pieceofcheese87 on May 18, 2015, 10:39:56 PM
thank god
Post by: lawatson on May 18, 2015, 11:31:28 PM
thanks based klazen-jesus
Post by: ilvpag on May 19, 2015, 01:39:06 AM
Bugs I've found:
Some suggestions:

This is a very nice engine and has no noticable difference in physics compared to the seph engine for GM8.1 and to test this I recreated one of the rooms from loner
(click to show/hide)

and was able to clear it with no problems :) p.s. I have a feeling this will be the go-to engine once polished for an official release :Kreygasm:

Also little question:

Will you be creating a little quick start guide for using GM:S after coming from GM8.1 to include with the engine? I'm not too familiar with GM:S and kept forgetting that you have to hit the green check mark on an editing window before running the game or no changes would be seen :P so it would be kind of cool if you could put together some small changes that new GM:S users can look out for (especially ones that would affect people who are only familiar with the I wanna engines)

Post by: Sephalos on May 19, 2015, 07:16:51 AM
Saves cannot be loaded from the file select menu, but do work in game
This will work once you create a exe file. For some reason GM:Studio only creates a temp folder for save files while testing. If you need to do more extensive testing I would reccomend you create warps to key locations or use the dev tools during the development phase.

I approve most of the rest of the suggestions, thank you for the extensive testing.
Post by: klazen108 on May 19, 2015, 10:51:53 AM
Thanks ilvpag for trying it out! Glad to hear you didn't run into any issues. I've implemented all the suggestions/bugfixes you mentioned.

As an aside, if you want your savefiles accessible during development, there is a hack available to you:
(click to show/hide)
You can change the EXECUTABLE_DIRECTORY macro to whatever folder you want, and it will save the files there. But be careful, make sure you put it back to working_directory before you release your game! I may add a warning message to objDEBUG if EXECUTABLE_DIRECTORY != working_directory, just as a reminder.

Edit: Oh! And about that "switching over" guide... Sadly I'm now 100% used to GMS and so I've kinda forgotten some of the differences :P However, I do know a few big things, like the creation event order between GM8.0 and GMS, the inability to make variables default to 0, the need to specify single executable when compiling your final game... and if there's anything anyone else remembers giving them a hard time, please let me know! I'd be happy to write an update guide, especially since I plan to rewrite my "getting into fangame development" guide to use this engine as its base.
Post by: patrickgh3 on May 19, 2015, 06:29:58 PM
Like everyone else, I'm happy this is a thing, and I'm excited to use GM:S for making fangames! Great job on the engine! Here's a list of a bunch of my suggested changes / ideas, most of which are minor.

Bigger ideas

EDITS:

Post by: Starz0r on May 19, 2015, 10:44:23 PM
This would also be a great time to implement my algorithm for 60fps+ fangames. I might see if I can figure out delta time so the game's fps is determined by the computer hardware itself.
Post by: Mr Wonderful on May 20, 2015, 11:52:55 AM
600 instead of 608? DansGame
Post by: Sudnep on May 20, 2015, 01:15:04 PM
1024x768 or riot
Post by: klazen108 on May 20, 2015, 09:29:01 PM
I'd love to go to a larger resolution too, but I feel like we're already up against enough pressure just switching to GMStudio :P maybe we could make an experimental engine with some new stuff to release alongside the basic version!
Post by: Sudnep on May 21, 2015, 02:53:40 AM
Can I suggest adding something similar to the SetGlobalOption in yuutu? It's nice having globally changed things toggle able on and off from a single spot.
Post by: klazen108 on May 21, 2015, 08:45:37 AM
Can I suggest adding something similar to the SetGlobalOption in yuutu? It's nice having globally changed things toggle able on and off from a single spot.

The first room/room caption is set in initSetGlobals, and the controls/in game settings defaults are set in load_globals. If there are any specific items you'd like to add to initSetGlobals, let me know and I'll put them there! I agree that having big things accessible separately from the rest of the game is incredibly helpful, especially when it's your first time in a new engine.
Post by: Sudnep on May 23, 2015, 03:17:02 AM
Dev Tools [toggle / keybind toggle]
(click to show/hide)
Starting Room
Version Number [toggle]
Save File Location
Config File Location
External Music Folder Location(?)
Game Name

I can't think of anything else at the moment that is relatively useful to have in a global config script. The last thing I could think of is being able to change what the default keybinds are but that's pretty whatever and almost nobody ever does that.
Post by: klazen108 on May 23, 2015, 04:18:01 PM
Dev tools I'm keeping all locked away in a separate, optional debug object. I don't like baking it into the engine because Yuuutu 2015 did that, and we're still getting games on the wiki with dev tools enabled :Kappa: There are some good ideas in there to add to the debug object though.

Starting room & game name are already currently in the global config.

Version number, Save File Location, Config File Location, External Music Folder Location: the basic engine doesn't use external music, and the version number is an interesting idea... I do like the idea of being able to specify where the saves go, just because you do have to change it in a lot of places if you ever need to do it differently for some reason.
Post by: Sudnep on May 23, 2015, 04:19:48 PM
Yeah you are right about the dev tool problem.  :Kappa:
Post by: klazen108 on May 26, 2015, 06:37:37 PM
Updated first post with v0.7! Changelog at bottom of post.

We've put minispikes & miniblocks in the engine now. However, leftward facing minispikes still seem to kill you if you walk off with the correct align. We're not sure of the cause, if anyone wants to help us look it would be appreciated!

-Added minispikes, miniblocks (note: walk-off align seems bugged for leftward-facing minispikes)
-Menu now reflects the correct keybinds for accept/back
-Added editor-only icons
-Added saveblocker object
-Fixed blood sticking to corners in midair
-Moved blood in front of spikes
-Added ability to enable/disable difficulty select
Post by: kilgour22 on May 27, 2015, 07:19:01 PM
It's very strange that the "worst" align for walking off a minispike works. Maybe it has something to do with the kid's sprite when faced to the  left direction?

EDIT: YO. It works with the walkoff align. But, you have to be standing on the very last pixel, facing to the right. It looks like the kid can't be facing left and stand on the last pixel of the block. The kid can only face right and stand on the last pixel.

EDIT #2: it's easily shown by grabbing the align that lets you hit the last pixel of a block above you and jump straight above you. If you're facing to the left, you go right through the block. If you're facing to the right, you bonk. Have fun fixing it!  :atkHappy:

EDIT #3: This is from the last pixel, facing right. Works like a charm. https://gyazo.com/321a9a241ab49ed558a0aafb9f7cad8f
Post by: Sudnep on May 27, 2015, 07:31:52 PM
EDIT: YO. It works with the walkoff align. But, you have to be standing on the very last pixel, facing to the right. It looks like the kid can't be facing left and stand on the last pixel of the block. The kid can only face right and stand on the last pixel.
If thats true does it have something to do with image_xscale = -1 not working correctly?
Post by: kilgour22 on May 27, 2015, 07:41:30 PM
If thats true does it have something to do with image_xscale = -1 not working correctly?

If that was the case, wouldn't the same thing hold true for the kid on the other side of the block? It doesn't, though. You can stand on the last pixel of the right side of a block regardless of the kid's direction.
Post by: klazen108 on May 28, 2015, 11:53:32 AM

It's a possibility, there was a bug in the engine I've fixed already where you could turn around and get stuck in walls, which leads me to believe that the hitbox is inbalanced in GMS... perhaps in GM8 the center was between pixels, but in GMS it's in the center at the .5 mark? I'm not sure how to test that, gamemaker doesn't allow you to set the origin to anything but integers.
Post by: infern0man1 on May 28, 2015, 03:10:15 PM
I don't know if it's already been implemented since I haven't had the time to test, but I think it would be a good idea for bullets to destroy themselves upon exiting the view/room/etc. There are numerous games where you have to walk for a certain amount of time before getting to the first jump because the save is too far for the bullet to reach, and I know there also bosses that have this trouble.

Edit: @kilgour the direction the kid is facing matters none when it comes to that, since the kid always will face right when moving right and vice versa.
Post by: Kyir on June 08, 2015, 09:32:23 PM
So are we pretty much stuck with the launch screen and the "Made with GameMaker Studio" title unless we upgrade to premium?
Post by: klazen108 on June 09, 2015, 12:53:00 AM
Just leaving a note for myself and anyone else who's using the engine, I've got a couple of bug reports recently:
-If you bind shoot and jump to the same key, you'll get softlocked in the menu (thanks Stonk :Kappa: )
-Every align is the walk-off align for sideways spikes (think T-bones) maybe I'll leave this one in ( ͡•ᴗ͡•)

If you find any other inconsistencies with the engine let me know!

As for the GMStudio Standard limitations, I've got Pro so I don't know what all is different, but as far as I know you only have to live with the hardcoded title bar & splash screen (and the lack of a few advanced features no one will ever use in fangames :P ) - Seph and I added the in-game GUI display with deathtime to account for this, so hopefully that's not a big issue. Studio goes on sale all the time, keep an eye out and you could nab it for 50% or more off like I did! It's well worth it considering how great of an IDE it is.
Post by: zebbe94 on June 09, 2015, 03:24:10 AM
So there is a problem I'm having with this, saves won't work after closing the game, even after creating an executable. I dunno if others are having this problem too though.

I've also tried the engine out on the early access (aka beta) version of gms, and in that version the 2 block trick doesn't work. This makes me a bit worried things may break when gamemaker gets updated. :/

Also here are a few suggestions:

Other than that and aligns being messed up this seems really nice :)
Post by: klazen108 on June 10, 2015, 10:35:46 AM
Okok today we have another journal entry in the long quest to get an accurate fangame engine in GMS! I was looking into the walk-off align differences today, and comparing them between engines. For the following test, I took a bad align for the walkoff (imagine that the good align for a rightward facing spike is align #3, then I had #1) and then held right until the kid collided with the spike, and recorded the position at the start/end of each frame. Looking at the results from GM8.1 and GMS, it appears that the position is the exact same on every frame! Therefore this is definitely a collision issue. In GM8.1, the kid collides with the spike at (294.00, 439.87), but the kid in GMS survives at this position. Maybe it's because the position for collision is being floored (down) in GMS, where it's being rounded (up or down) in GM8.1? I don't think this would explain the issue with minispike walkoffs though...

////////////////////////////////////GMS Results:
begin of step     end of step
(282.00, 439.47) (282.00, 439.47) //start position
(282.00, 439.47) (285.00, 439.47) //first step of movement
(285.00, 439.47) (288.00, 439.47)
(288.00, 439.47) (291.00, 439.47)
(291.00, 439.47) (294.00, 439.87) //should have collided here
(294.00, 439.87) (297.00, 440.67)
(297.00, 440.67) (300.00, 441.87)
(300.00, 441.87) (303.00, 443.47)
(303.00, 443.47) (306.00, 445.47)
(306.00, 445.47) (309.00, 447.87)
(309.00, 447.87)                  //Collided!

//////////////////////////////////GM8.1 Results:
(282.00,439.47) (282.00,439.47) //start position
(282.00,439.47) (285.00,439.47) //first step of movement
(285.00,439.47) (288.00,439.47)
(288.00,439.47) (291.00,439.47)
(291.00,439.47) (294.00,439.87) //Collided!

I wonder if modifying the playerKiller collision detection in end step to round position values would make it behave the same? I'll have to do more testing. (And yes, I did bunny-hop until my v-align was identical in both tests :Kappa: )

EDIT: Literally 3 minutes after I posted this I changed the place_meeting(x,y,playerKiller) line in the end step event to place_meeting(round(x),round(y),playerKiller) and the kid dies when you don't have the correct align! Left-facing minispikes are still acting up, so the root cause there is something else.

EDIT 2: As for the minispike/kid image_xscale issue, I'm trying to separate the block collision and move it into the end step function as well, but I can't seem to get it to work how it should... even if I do the if (solid) x=xprevious... stuff, the kid gets stuck, stutters in the ground, can't jump, all sorts of nasty things. If we could get a working collision event in the form of if (place_meeting(x,y,block)) then we could try rounding the coordinates differently and possibly make some progress.

EDIT 3: Ok, I should really shut my mouth and code before I start posting :Kappa: I managed to get the collision with blocks working perfectly in the step event, turns out you have to do x=xprevious/y=yprevious at the start of the event, and x+=hspeed/y+=vspeed at the end of the event... go figure. Anyway, after I did that, I changed the collision check like so:
o = collision_rectangle(x-5.5,y-12,x+5.5,y+8.5,block,1,1);where o is a variable holding the id of the block if there is one (like 'other' in the collision event). Adding 0.5 to the coordinates actually seems to work, I can walk off all the minispikes now, and only with the correct align! So the question now becomes, is it really worth switching to this arcane collision system in order to maintain a perfect replica of physics, or should we embrace the new way that GMS suggests? Leave me your comments if you have any!
Post by: kilgour22 on June 10, 2015, 06:22:00 PM
So the question now becomes, is it really worth switching to this arcane collision system in order to maintain a perfect replica of physics, or should we embrace the new way that GMS suggests? Leave me your comments if you have any!
Personally, my vote would go towards keeping the physics true to GameMaker 8.0/8.1. However, if lots of people would like to give the GMS physics a try, then I would be open to the new physics as well.
Post by: pieceofcheese87 on June 10, 2015, 06:32:29 PM
I'm fine with new physics, but i'm sure all the pixologists would not be
Post by: infern0man1 on June 10, 2015, 06:48:27 PM
Pixologist here :Kappa:
Post by: Kyir on June 10, 2015, 06:59:58 PM
Does anyone really care what a bunch of pixel fetishists think?
Post by: ilvpag on June 10, 2015, 11:33:19 PM
Does anyone really care what a bunch of pixel fetishists think?

well if this is gonna become the next standard for engines, it would be nice if all the work that was put into learning the physics of the gm8.0/8.1 engines carried on over. also some people will replace the icon to look like the red ball that is on the majority of fangames now making it impossible to tell if a game was made in studio or 8.0/8.1 unless you run into something that was studio specific which could've been prevented by perfectly replicating the physics of the 8.0/8.1 engines.
Post by: klazen108 on June 11, 2015, 12:51:02 AM
Yeah, I think doing our best to copy the physics as they are in GM8.1 Yuuutu for now is probably best. That way, if people are reluctant moving from 8.1 to studio, this is one less reason for them to avoid it. Plus, for the majority of fangames, people won't even need to touch the player's code! So no one will really notice the mess I left in there :Kappa:

I'm going to clean up a lot of the code in the engine now, and leave some nice comments, and then I'll release a new version here in a day or two (I'm also just one level away from max in Splatoon so I might be doing that instead :P ) Big thanks to everyone helping with testing, everything's really coming together!
Post by: Kyir on June 12, 2015, 10:18:37 PM
Getting a weird bug that seems to be slightly distorting spike sprites. Not quite sure what's causing it, but it seems to be at individual x coordinates. You can see it at a few places here, but most notably the upper left and bottom right spikes:

(https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r749/NoCompanyNeeded/spikebug_zpstmjjx1x9.jpg)

The only reason I could think of is that its a particularly large screen? I'm sure some of you have a better idea than me.

EDIT: The problem seems to have fixed itself, but it was still weird.
Post by: yoburg on June 12, 2015, 10:32:40 PM
Saves aren't working for me, gm doesn't create save files and when I try to respawn it sends me to room0 with 0,0 coordinates.

P.S. I haven't worked in GM before.
Post by: klazen108 on June 13, 2015, 02:06:28 AM
Kyir: Make sure your views match the room size (800x608 or 800x600, whichever you're using) as inconsistencies can cause it to stretch the room a little.

yoburg: GMS is a little wonky when it comes to save files. By default, all save files are stored in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\YourGameName. Some people have expressed disdain for this, so we tried to make it save the files to the directory where the game is. This has opened a whole new can of worms though. What this means is that in testing, you won't get save files. If you need them, go to the Macros section on the left, and change EXECUTABLE_DIRECTORY's value to a folder where you want your saves to go for testing. Make sure to change it back to working_directory when you're done. Another side effect of this is that you have to use the zip export option when creating an executable, not a standalone exe. Saves in the folder with a standalone exe will never happen, there's just no way around it. I'll be sure to lay it all out in a help file when the engine is done, sorry about the confusion! It's all a big mess.
Post by: yoburg on June 13, 2015, 10:24:53 PM
FS_file_bin_anystuff seems to be not working for me, I even don't have such function in manual instead I have file_fin_anystuff. Also i don't have write/read_dword but have write_read_byte. But when I use them instead of dwords I get wrong x and y though room number saving is fine.
Post by: klazen108 on June 14, 2015, 01:13:20 AM
The FS_ functions are part of an extension in the engine that we used to write the save files outside of the curated AppData folder, if you're not seeing them highlighted in the engine then that's an issue we should figure out... can you post a screenshot of the Extensions folder on the left side? You shouldn't be using the build-in file_* functions that gamemaker provides.
Post by: yoburg on June 14, 2015, 02:13:46 AM
I see them highlithed and they are presented in Extensions tab. Also I can't hear music - compilator says:
(0): Could not open Ogg file C:\Users\Администратор\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_59976\gm_ttt_5773\bgmStage01.ogg
(1): Could not open Ogg file C:\Users\Администратор\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_59976\gm_ttt_5773\bgmStage02.ogg
.dll-s are in the same folder. It seems it's bugging cuz of cyrillic symbols. Is there any workaround to this?
Post by: klazen108 on June 14, 2015, 11:07:36 AM
It's possible it doesn't like the Cyrillic symbols. It's also possible that the music files get lost somehow - that happens to me a lot when I rename the project file, the audio files just disappear! Check inside your project.gmx/sound/audio folder, if the music files are missing from there you will need to download the engine again and put them back in there. Since only the music is missing for you I think this is the most likely cause, but if not we'll work something else out
Post by: Kyir on June 15, 2015, 02:58:02 AM
If you start the player high on a vertical screen and they reach max falling speed the UI sort of gets stuck out of place.

(https://i.imgur.com/Gp1PBZK.jpg)
Post by: yoburg on June 15, 2015, 05:28:09 AM
Yep, the problem was about Cyrillic symbols. It just didn't load anything from that temp folder. I found out that you can change temp directory in File -> Preferences
You may add this fact for whoever face this problem in the future.
Post by: Kyir on June 16, 2015, 01:21:31 PM
I found another problem that will almost certainly be deeply unpleasant to root out. If you place a platform against a block object, jumping while running into the block will cause the platform to act as a solid ceiling. If you jump sideways through the platform and run into the block, you will hang in midair until you let go of the direction key.
Post by: klazen108 on June 17, 2015, 10:31:26 AM
Yoburg: glad to hear you found the problem! I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Kyir: Thanks for the bug reports... That block one especially does sound dumb to fix. I'll see what I can do

EDIT:
I looked into it and I think I've found a fix for both problems. The GUI display was easy, just replace all instances of view_xview and view_yview in the Draw GUI event of the world object with 0 (Turns out that the Draw GUI event automatically offsets the draw calls for you, so you don't need to specify that you mean "draw this on the view" every time! Neat! Thanks based Studio)

For the platform bug, this is being caused by the platform trying to pull the kid up, but the block trying to push the kid back to where he was. The fix for this one is a little stranger:
////player.create
y_offset=0;

////player.end_step
//replace
//x+=hspeed
//y+=vspeed
//with
if (o.solid) {
x+=hspeed;
y+=vspeed;
}
if (y_offset != 0) {
y=y_offset;
}

////platform.player_collision
//right after djump = true, add this:
y_offset=other.y-9;

If you're using a version of the engine from before the align fix (I think everyone is? :P ) then you should delete the player's collision with playerKiller/block events, and add an end step event with the code in this engine. The physics are much more consistent with existing engines. I'm going to update the first post shortly with a new version... stand by!

P.S. If you've already been designing something in the engine and are afraid you'll miss all the changes that have occurred since you downloaded your copy of the engine... TOO BAD (jk jk) post here if you have any problems and I'll help you integrate the fixes with your work in progress.
Post by: Kyir on June 17, 2015, 04:38:38 PM
Following those instructions gives me an error that says

of  Step Event2
for object player:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 102601.o(100083, -2147483648)
 at gml_Object_player_StepEndEvent_1 (line 9) - if (o.solid) {
############################################################################################

I'm probably just misunderstanding what I should be replacing though.
Post by: klazen108 on June 17, 2015, 05:01:04 PM
Does your player's end step look like this? (some comments and spacing removed so I could fit it all on my monitor at once :P )
(click to show/hide)

There's probably just some more code in the event that has changed since the version you have.
Post by: Kyir on June 17, 2015, 05:06:11 PM
My player's endstep is only

if (place_meeting(x,y,playerKiller)) {
    killPlayer();
}

Also, this Japanese image is showing up the background and it doesn't seem to actually be in the sprite or background list and??? Is my version of the engine haunted?

(https://i.imgur.com/V8hLOfG.jpg)

My only idea is that I somehow messed up in fixing the GUI and somehow told Game Maker to draw one of the commented out sections of text but I really don't think even I could mess up code that badly. It also only seems to be happening in a single room of the project.
Post by: klazen108 on June 17, 2015, 05:33:52 PM
Uhhhhhhhhhh....

Yeah idk why you would have random Japanese text showing up, looks like it could be a font texture problem. I'll need some more details to figure it out. Does it happen in every room, every time? Or just occasionally? Is it always the same image, or does it look different sometimes? Any objects that you add that seem to cause it to happen? is 'Clear Display Buffer with Window Colour' checked in the room editor under views?

For the collision stuff, you should replace your end step event with the new version, I'll paste it here so you don't have to download the whole thing:
(click to show/hide)

Then make sure to add the code to player create & platform player collision like I said a couple posts ago, and your platforms should work. If you get another errror, well, then I forgot to copy some code again
Post by: Kyir on June 17, 2015, 05:38:51 PM
It's only happening in one room, and something I did moved it at some point without actually changing any code or anything in that room. It appears to be the same text every time, but I don't have a screenshot of what it was before it moved. That box also is checked, should it not be? I think it was on by default.

EDIT: I cleared all the tiles and objects from that area of the screen, and that made that particular instance of the message go away, so I guess it has something to do with one of them?
Post by: klazen108 on June 17, 2015, 05:50:44 PM
Ok yeah, it sounds like it was a texture issue all along. Are you shift-dragging or ctrl-dragging to select multiple tiles on a tileset? Because when you do, game maker will let you select outside the boundaries of the tileset. And that tileset is actually part of a larger image onto which game maker packs all your graphics for your GPU... and I would guess that it just so happens that there was some Japanese text stored over there :Kappa: It's hard to diagnose because it typically shows as blank in the room editor, but in-game can be whatever is resident in your graphics memory.
Post by: Kyir on June 17, 2015, 05:55:39 PM
I haven't been doing it intentionally, but have no problem believing that I did accidentally at some point. Fixing this is going to be such a pain. Thanks for your help.
Post by: klazen108 on June 17, 2015, 06:01:57 PM
I found another way to make it happen too, looks like game maker will keep the selected tile where it was when you switch tilesets, even if that's outside the boundary of the new tileset... Watch an example here (https://i.gyazo.com/129f9a8a889c22f5c7bcab46ee0c668d.mp4)

So yeah that's neat
Post by: pieceofcheese87 on June 17, 2015, 10:55:45 PM
Great job solving the mystery of the spooky japanese text, gang.
Post by: nops on June 24, 2015, 12:41:01 PM
Sorry if this is obvious but, how do you use triggers with this engine?
Post by: verveplay on June 28, 2015, 10:57:33 AM
As a GMS engine user, <3
Edit: Started using it. Speechless. Now i see what people meant when they said original GMS engine was bad-ish.
Post by: klazen108 on June 28, 2015, 10:51:18 PM
Glad you like it! The GMS engine wasn't terrible, but there were some minor physics inconsistencies and some missing polish. We tried our best to incorporate everything that fangame developers have come to expect from the GM8 engines so that you could spend less time getting used to the new environment and more time making your fangame!
Post by: Kyir on July 03, 2015, 11:38:33 PM
I'm getting "Shader loading error" while trying to compile and I'm using a fresh download of the engine. Any ideas?

EDIT: The solution appears to be not using weird characters in the file name. Lesson learned.
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on July 04, 2015, 03:59:15 PM
I'd be wanting to import a project from 8.1 and somehow kinda combine it with this engine, any way that could be possible?
EDIT: It uses the yuutuu engine and kinda relied on the "set uninitialized variables as value 0" since I'm no pro :BibleThump:
also I have the full version of studio
Post by: Kyir on July 04, 2015, 09:19:28 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
Post by: RandomFangamer on July 05, 2015, 09:39:35 AM
Thank you so much Klazen
You have  :denProgress:-d the community

Suggestions:
Add an example boss that uses a timeline just to educate new game makers (like me :Kappa:) on how to make a boss
Post by: Lothjon on July 07, 2015, 02:20:36 PM
I need some help with how I make roomChanger work. Right now when I try and go to the next screen it says this:
(click to show/hide)

Here are some pictures of the two rooms I'm trying to warp between:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

The code I put in the roomChanger is as follows: roomTo=rStage04;

Please say if there's anything I missed, and I shall see if I can provide it in another reply. I'm also new to this forum so the formatting in this post may be really bad. Sorryy for that in advance  :atkHappy: !
Post by: klazen108 on July 07, 2015, 09:45:24 PM
Oh, that must be something I missed. you need to put the following in the roomChanger's create event:
onCollide=false;
(click to show/hide)

GM8 defaults to false if not set, GMS errors if not set. I guess I forgot to add that and never tested it! But that should do it for you.
Post by: cdmans on July 07, 2015, 10:01:15 PM
The problem I have with the engine is that there is no way to resize the screen.  I never play with default screen and even when trying to use outside fullscreen or resize enable programs, I still cannot get the game to resize or go fullscreen with major glitching.  This is a large problem for me because I can't play default size.  If you could figure out a way to fix this, I would definitely use this engine though.
Post by: klazen108 on July 08, 2015, 12:23:24 AM
The problem I have with the engine is that there is no way to resize the screen.

We actually did include fullscreen toggle in the engine! It's just in the main menu, there's not a keybind for it. But you can see it here:
(click to show/hide)
Just hit shift on the "Screen" option to switch between windowed and fullscreen mode.
Post by: cdmans on July 08, 2015, 11:44:12 AM
O crap didnt notice that.  Thanks, that fixes it for me.
Post by: Lothjon on July 08, 2015, 03:51:56 PM
Oh, that must be something I missed. you need to put the following in the roomChanger's create event:
onCollide=false;
(click to show/hide)

GM8 defaults to false if not set, GMS errors if not set. I guess I forgot to add that and never tested it! But that should do it for you.

Yep now I works fine. Thanks!
Post by: Stepcore on July 13, 2015, 02:16:00 PM
It doesn't seem like the physics are working for me at all. I dunno why, if someone knows a good gif program or something I can get, I can show what I mean.
Basically no align is walkoff align, 2/4block doesn't work, if I save on the ground I get stuck in the ground on load.
I really like how the engine is structured but this bug is killing it for me :<
Post by: klazen108 on July 13, 2015, 06:22:55 PM
That's strange to hear, Stepcore. Could you try downloading a fresh copy of the engine from the first post and opening/running that? I just did and the physics were normal for me, plus we've had a game and multiple test rooms developed in the engine so far and things seem to work fine. What you describe sounds very much like one of the earlier versions of the engine, before we fixed aligns and collisions. Also, what version of GMStudio do you have? If you're already using a clean copy of the latest version of the KS engine, maybe you need to update GMS (I'm running 1.4.1567 r36800)
Post by: klazen108 on July 13, 2015, 09:24:11 PM
v0.9 is out! Just a couple of minor bugfixes for this version.

1) I've fixed the roomChanger object, so you should be able to walk between rooms now if you place one at the edge. If you're using an older version of the engine, just add
onCollide=true to the create event of the roomChanger object to fix.

2) Also fixed an issue where if you place a platform next a block, the player gets sucked in. This only occurs if you place the block after the platform in the room editor, if you place the blocks first it shouldn't. If you're using an older version of the engine, you can place all blocks first, then platforms, or you can replace the player's end step event code with the following:
(click to show/hide)

This was my fault for only considering one block collision per frame, so it's possible this solves other issues where you can collide with multiple blocks at a time. Thanks to Lothjon and Kyir for the bug reports! Hopefully there's not much left to fix!
Post by: Stepcore on July 14, 2015, 03:53:00 AM
Hm I downloaded it Sunday, but maybe I mixed it up with a previous version I already had on my drive(Recently formatted main drive, but might've been something on the other one). Will try when I get home.
I have version 1.4.1598 of GM:S I think.
Post by: RandomFangamer on July 14, 2015, 07:05:33 AM
Ok, so a bit of a weird issue,
I have a number object which takes a variable from its creation code and uses it to pick a sprite
However, GM:S says that the variable isn't specified

Code:
(click to show/hide)

Error:
(click to show/hide)
Post by: Stepcore on July 14, 2015, 07:13:39 AM
Think you need to create the variable before Game Maker can compare it.
Like number=1 or something in the create event.
Post by: RandomFangamer on July 14, 2015, 09:46:23 AM
Thanks, I put that above my code (line1) but I'm still getting an issue
For some reason the game is still ignoring the Creation Code and now believes that the variable is 1 although here I specified that it was 2
This worked fine in 8.0, o could it be a problem with studio?

(https://imgur.com/8B6FB3L.png)
Post by: Stepcore on July 14, 2015, 11:23:44 AM
I get this when I press new game in v0.9
(click to show/hide)
Also I just did a fresh download of v0.8 from here https://klazen.com/IWBTG/archive/IWBT%20Engine%20KS%20Edition%20v0.8.zip and I still get the same issue as described above :< Still no walkoff aligns, hitting spikes through blocks and 2block no work.
Version 1.4.1598 of GM:S

Thanks, I put that above my code (line1) but I'm still getting an issue
For some reason the game is still ignoring the Creation Code and now believes that the variable is 1 although here I specified that it was 2
This worked fine in 8.0, o could it be a problem with studio?
Welp. Looks like they swapped that around for GM:S, my bad.
https://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=627879
Seems like the way to get around it is to run it after the create event. So you can do an alarm[0]=1 and run it there. Or you can run an event_user(0) in the creation code. Or use a bool and do a begin step that checks and sets it to false (probably not so good).
Otherwise I don't know :S
Post by: RandomFangamer on July 14, 2015, 12:26:44 PM
Hey, it works!!!  :tenKapple:
Post by: klazen108 on July 14, 2015, 01:56:35 PM
The event order is Create Event -> Instance Creation Code -> Room Start. So you can usually put handlers in the Room Start event to use any values you set in the room editor!

And Step, try opening this GMZ instead? Maybe the project is getting corrupted or something, idk, this is the first I've heard of that happening! klazen.com/IWBTG/archive/GMS_Engine_KS_Edition_v0_9.gmz (https://klazen.com/IWBTG/archive/GMS_Engine_KS_Edition_v0_9.gmz)
Post by: Stepcore on July 14, 2015, 02:02:18 PM
Yeah that one works, but I'm still getting the no aligns and spikes through blocks thing :<

Oh room start is pretty smart. I thought that was run as the first thing when loading a new room.

Also small thing, if you're standing a specific distance away from the save, the shot goes through.
(click to show/hide)
Post by: klazen108 on July 14, 2015, 07:00:55 PM
Warning note: to anyone experiencing Stepcore's issues of aligns not working, check your Gamemaker Studio version (it's in the title bar). If you're on 1.4.1598, downgrade to 1.4.1567. 1598 is a beta version, and therefore not guaranteed to be stable. I have submitted a bug report to yoyogames regarding the issue, and hope to see it fixed before the changes in 1598 are rolled into the stable branch.

You will probably need to uninstall gamemaker, then install this version (https://store.yoyogames.com/downloads/gm-studio/GMStudio-Installer-1.4.1567.exe). Make sure you pick that you want to recieve updates from the stable channel - right click the GMS icon in your system tray, and choose "Stable Update Channel":
(https://i.imgur.com/uwuNr70.png)
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on July 14, 2015, 08:33:38 PM
I've already began development with 0.8 of the engine, is there a way I can just get what code was changed so I don't have to start over?
Just the code for the platform bug fix.
Post by: klazen108 on July 14, 2015, 08:50:19 PM
I've already began development with 0.8 of the engine, is there a way I can just get what code was changed so I don't have to start over?
Just the code for the platform bug fix.

Yeah, check this post (https://www.iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=1625.msg12543#msg12543) - you just need to update the player's end step event for the platform fix.
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on July 14, 2015, 09:11:04 PM
Thanks a bundle, but by the time I saw the reply, I had already investigated the new engine's code and injected the fixed code into my current project.
Next time I'll try to do that first thing. Unless the replacement code is super obscure...
Post by: klazen108 on July 14, 2015, 09:19:59 PM
Whenever I update, i'll keep a list of everything that's changed and include the code in a post here so you can always grab it like that. Should never be any huge changes!

EDIT: I have received confirmation from yoyogames that the collision detection is changing for version 1.4.1598 (https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=0017607). Therefore, if you're using version 0.9 or earlier of the KS engine, you must use GM Studio version 1.4.1567. I am working on a fix for 1.4.1598, and I'll maintain both versions until 1.4.1598 is officially released.
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on July 25, 2015, 06:41:32 PM
How would I add my own values to the saveGame script? I've tried many things, and some just change another value upon loading, but this new value just never saves even when I have it in the saveGame script with the same syntax as everything else.

EDIT: Whoops. Something else kept resetting that value. It wasn't a fault with the saving script, but placing the value at the bottom before file_bin_close seems to work, would still love to see the suggested retail price (aka best method) for how to do that.

Also how would I add something to the file select for it to display a string of where the character last saved e.g. "grass area" underneath? Maybe also a global.clear to say "complete" under a completed save file? (i've been trying for literal hours and no success. Arrays are too complex apparently.)
Post by: klazen108 on July 26, 2015, 01:06:58 AM
If you want to add something to the save/load scripts, it has to be symmetrical. Remember that game maker has no idea how your save file is laid out, it's just reading values off of a list. Make sure to put it before the closing bracket for "dyingSave" - that's there to only save your death/time when you die, and nothing else. Here's how you do it:
(click to show/hide)

Think of it like this:
Save:
Open file
Put A in file
Put B in file
Put C in file
Close File
Load:
Open file
Read something from file, put it in A
Read something from file, put it in B
Read something from file, put it in C
Close File

Once you've added that value to the scripts, you can use it in game. So just add a "global.clear" value to the scripts, then check it when drawing the menu to see if you should display the clear message, and set it to true when you beat the game, and you're done!
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on July 26, 2015, 01:31:29 PM
Well, for some reason the clear variable changes back to a variable instead of an array and throws an error upon loading a started file stating that it tries to index a variable that isn't an array. Would I have to do some complex array stuffs in the saving and loading scripts?

EDIT: Put the actual arrays in the saving script, but now when I save the game and look at the debugger, a non-completed game has a clear value of 10 and completed has 15 when I specified neither of these numbers for the clear array. I feel like such an idiot. :BibleThump:

EDIT 2: Well that's actually the number of room that the user saved in, even when following that tutorial, it still doesn't save the actual global clear variable correctly.
Post by: klazen108 on July 27, 2015, 12:26:39 AM
You should probably make a separate topic on how to save, since I've tested loading/saving in the engine and know it works. But the "clear" variable should not be an array, and if it's getting the room value in it, you probably are saving/loading out of order. Make a new topic with your code and I'll be happy to help there!
Post by: Kyir on July 27, 2015, 12:58:01 AM
You need to just put that sample object in already Klazen. Hurry hurry, or you're going to get a million requests for help when everyone switches over.
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on July 27, 2015, 02:27:40 PM
[Well, I did just that.] (https://www.iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=1788.msg12766#msg12766) Hope I can get some help here.
Post by: Kyir on July 27, 2015, 05:06:37 PM
You could try being a bit more polite. That might help.
Post by: klazen108 on July 28, 2015, 12:09:39 AM
Just sent you a reply in your other thread, this helps because now it'll be easier to find if anyone else has save issues, instead of having to read through this whole thread (which on one will ever do :Kappa: )
Post by: LoneTree_tv on July 30, 2015, 01:31:32 AM
I can't open the GMX file  :atkCry:
Post by: klazen108 on July 30, 2015, 08:57:32 AM
Can you give any detail? Make sure you've at least taken it out of the zip file, and if it doesn't load when you double click the gmx project file to open, try opening game maker studio and then opening the project from inside. If there's an error message please post that.
Post by: LoneTree_tv on July 30, 2015, 10:10:15 AM
I didn't even have GM:S installed in the first place. Once I did install it, everything worked fine.
Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Post by: LoneTree_tv on July 30, 2015, 10:15:20 AM
Actually, there's still another problem  :atkCry:
EVERYTHING is undefined. I get this error on startup for every single sprite, stage, background, sound, etc.

Error loading:
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Tem...\maskBlock.sprite.gmx.
File not present
Post by: verveplay on July 31, 2015, 12:17:14 PM
Actually, there's still another problem  :atkCry:
EVERYTHING is undefined. I get this error on startup for every single sprite, stage, background, sound, etc.

Error loading:
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Tem...\maskBlock.sprite.gmx.
File not present
Did you like move the gmx file out of the folder with the resources? Everything worked fine for me
Post by: LoneTree_tv on July 31, 2015, 12:20:27 PM
Yes, i did. I don't think I moved it to quite the right place, can you show or tell how your files look like?
Post by: Kyir on August 02, 2015, 03:00:11 PM
So I'm just going to put this here since I'm not sure how much of this is a bug/fixable, but it turns out that controls still work for the game even if you open up another window and are doing stuff in that. I'm not sure how much of a problem this is really, but it seems like it might be an annoyance for people who do stuff a bit at a time.
Post by: Derf on August 02, 2015, 03:04:46 PM
So I'm just going to put this here since I'm not sure how much of this is a bug/fixable, but it turns out that controls still work for the game even if you open up another window and are doing stuff in that. I'm not sure how much of a problem this is really, but it seems like it might be an annoyance for people who do stuff a bit at a time.
Idk if this option is in GM:S but if you go into Global Game Settings there's a tick box for an option called "Freeze the game when the form loses focus", see if checking that works. I'd test myself but I don't have GM:S atm.
Post by: klazen108 on August 02, 2015, 07:23:07 PM
It's been like that in pretty much all standard engine fangames, due to the fact that left/right uses a keyboard_check_direct function which picks those up even when not in focus. If you'd like to disable it you can do what derf suggested. I'm wondering if freezing the game when out of focus would hurt anything, if not I might put it in by default with the KS engine because I've died many times in RMJ practicing jumps while a game was open in the background :Kappa:
Post by: Kyir on August 02, 2015, 07:31:34 PM
The only downside seems like the fact that you wouldn't get to hear good background music while looking at something else.

But the plus side to that is that you wouldn't have to listen to guy rock while looking at something else.
Post by: Derf on August 02, 2015, 07:36:16 PM
I can't see any downsides of the top of my head.

There is a DLL here]=https://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=315867]here (https://=https://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=315867) which can check window focus for you but I'm not sure you want to bulk out your engine with what is essentially an unnecessary DLL file.
Post by: verveplay on August 04, 2015, 05:03:16 AM
Can you maybe add triggers that trigger only after a certain other trigger has been triggered? It's sometimes usefull for more complicated level design, and it is a decently advanced programming. It's in the old engine.

Edit: maybe implement it into the one trigger there alaredy is? Like if you put in creation code
trg = 2
key = 1
it will trigger only after trigger 1 has been triggered, without "key" it would work normally.
Post by: pieceofcheese87 on August 04, 2015, 08:55:40 AM
decently advanced programming

if(global.trigger[key]=1){global.trigger[trg]=1;}
This is literally all you need and you're golden.
Post by: LoneTree_tv on August 04, 2015, 11:46:03 AM
I don't know if this has already been addressed, but...
I found something wrong with saving.
If you save on the floor, you get stuck in it and can't move left or right until you jump.
Post by: verveplay on August 04, 2015, 04:12:02 PM
decently advanced programming

if(global.trigger[key]=1){global.trigger[trg]=1;}
This is literally all you need and you're golden.
Thanks piece :D I didn't really look into triggers to figure it out myself, i'm a very lazy guy ;-;

If you save on the floor, you get stuck in it and can't move left or right until you jump.
Not having this problem at all no matter what i do. Do you have the 0.9 version?
Post by: LoneTree_tv on August 04, 2015, 10:41:41 PM
I think so. I'll try reinstalling just in case.
Post by: infern0man1 on August 04, 2015, 10:53:44 PM

I can't offer any help on the issue at hand since I know nothing of this engine or how GM:S works, but I would like to point out that this bug is prominent in some of the more standard engines, such as yuuutu and ねころん editions, although it only happens with miniBlocks. As verve said above, maybe you have a previous version that doesn't have this fix, but idk.
Post by: Stepcore on August 05, 2015, 03:22:41 AM

Most likely this same issue as that was one of the problems I experienced when I had the beta update:
Warning note: to anyone experiencing Stepcore's issues of aligns not working, check your Gamemaker Studio version (it's in the title bar). If you're on 1.4.1598, downgrade to 1.4.1567. 1598 is a beta version, and therefore not guaranteed to be stable. I have submitted a bug report to yoyogames regarding the issue, and hope to see it fixed before the changes in 1598 are rolled into the stable branch.

You will probably need to uninstall gamemaker, then install this version (https://store.yoyogames.com/downloads/gm-studio/GMStudio-Installer-1.4.1567.exe). Make sure you pick that you want to recieve updates from the stable channel - right click the GMS icon in your system tray, and choose "Stable Update Channel":
(https://i.imgur.com/uwuNr70.png)
Post by: klazen108 on August 30, 2015, 08:37:42 PM
Hey guys,

Yoyo sent me the updated physics code from his testing, and I've included it in a new update for the KS engine - it should simplify things and fix previous problems, like lack of bunnyhopping. Going forward, this engine will be more of a "clean" engine, like the Seph engine was for GM8.1 - we'll focus on the basics, like player physics and save/load code. If you're looking for a friendlier engine with lots of standard gimmicks in place and ready to go for your level design, I highly recommend you get the Studio Engine YoYoYo Edition (https://www.iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=1852.0) instead!

I haven't done extensive testing with the new physics code since I'm bad, so if anyone wants to try it out, I'll leave it here for a while before releasing the official version. If there's any problems, let me know, you know the drill by now :Kappa:

Download the KS Engine v0.95 (https://klazen.com/IWBTG/archive/IWBT%20Engine%20KS%20Edition%20v0.95.zip)
Post by: Kyir on August 31, 2015, 12:34:52 AM
Praise Jesus
Post by: Sudnep on August 31, 2015, 02:02:52 PM
Praise Jesus
Post by: Sudnep on September 03, 2015, 05:43:13 PM
I'm not certain if you're aware but when in Full Screen mode the GUI gets wonky with where it's placed and doesn't scale properly with full screen.

example:
(click to show/hide)
Post by: klazen108 on September 03, 2015, 06:55:20 PM
Sorry! Looks like Game Maker Studio doesn't scale GUIs with the rest of the game... to fix it add this to the Room Start event of the world object:

display_set_gui_size(view_wview[0], view_hview[0]);
(click to show/hide)

I think this warrants a new version, hopefully there haven't been any complaints on the new physics engine!

EDIT: OK now that I've updated the first post, here's the...

Detailed Changelog for the KS Engine v0.961:

New physics engine to better match the standard Yuuutu-type physics without bugs (thanks to YoYoYoDude1!)
Inability to bunnyhop / getting stuck in screen transitions should be fixed thanks to above
The new physics engine that Yoyo worked out should be more accurate, and everything seems to work fine. If you're updating, you'll need to remove all the end step code from the player, and add the block collision event instead. The player's end step event should have nothing but the playerKiller collision check:
(click to show/hide)

Also edit the playerJump script to round the y coordinates:
(click to show/hide)

Note that YoYoGames (not to be confused with YoYoYoDude1 :Kappa: ) do intend to change the collision system in the next version of GMStudio (current version is 1.4.1567) so when the update is released this will have to be reworked again. Check back later!

Fixed misplaced GUI in fullscreen mode and at top of screen in general
I forgot a minus sign in the GUI code for when the GUI is on top of the screen, so the text was always visible. That's been fixed. Check the Draw GUI event of the world object for the code you need to change:
(click to show/hide)

The GUI also didn't work in fullscreen because apparently the Draw GUI event doesn't scale with the screen resolution. To fix that, check the world's Room Start event for the code that updates the GUI resolution:
(click to show/hide)

Cleaned up many unnecessary objects/sprites/sounds
Cleaning up the engine for its final release. We're going down to the bare minimum of the world, player, menu, and basic level design objects like blocks, spikes and apples, platforms and vines etc. Nothing to change here if you're updating your older copy.

Added more comments in code
Like above, trying to document everything to be more friendly to those trying to learn how a fangame engine works. Let me know if there's anything you feel isn't explained well enough!

Added vines
Neat
Post by: YoYoYoDude1 on September 03, 2015, 07:59:38 PM
Just so you know, the current way you have the playerJump script set up is a bit bugged.

Apparently they changed how place_meeting works a bit, because if you use "place_meeting(x, y+1, block)" like 8.1 engines do, it doesn't always detect you as being on a block even if you are. You can see this for yourself if you keep pressing jump really quickly while on the ground. Sometimes when you hit the ground you'll double jump off of it instead of single jumping.

I just fixed this by using "place_meeting(x,round(y+1),block)" which seems to always work correctly.
Post by: klazen108 on September 03, 2015, 08:20:43 PM
Classic gamemaker! Thanks for the notification, I'll fix that really quick. You know, I bet when they change the physics all this rounding will be unnecessary and it'll just work (hopefully)
Post by: Kyir on September 14, 2015, 11:53:16 AM
Just FYI, the latest physics update has recreated that old platform-as-solid bug for me. I'm not sure if I just updated my game in the wrong way or not but you might want to check. Also, I'm finding it difficult to duplicate, but at certain vertical speeds (at least it seems to be the factor) it becomes possible to push the player into the left side of a block. I have yet to find an instance of it happening on the right side.

This is a very slight example of it that I could get to happen repeatedly: httpss://i.gyazo.com/2dbf689a4f3c9803be29c6374535dfb4.mp4 but there are others where I can get completely stuck into it.
Post by: Хороший_Василий on September 20, 2015, 04:26:44 AM
I also get that glitch, it's frustrating. Should continue with this engine or port to Yoyo? I do not have a whole lot done of my game. Otherwise though this engine is superb.
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on September 26, 2015, 05:05:59 PM
Well this isn't really an engine problem but it is something that I think a few people might run into, and would like a way to just kinda get rid of it. I haven't really seen anyone talk about it because it is a fresh new update for GMS.
So, resizing blocks is suddenly a pain in the ass sometimes, because just whenever GMS feels like it, not even snapping to the grid that the room is assigned when resizing a block.
For instance: 32x32 grid, click in the room editor on a block, click and drag to resize, resizes to a multiple of NOT 32, resulting in blocks with like y-scale 2.19.

Uh, I guess a screenshot might help.
(https://prntscr.com/8kth7h/direct)
Notice: No ALT-key was used as well as the room having a 32x32 snap
Post by: pieceofcheese87 on September 26, 2015, 07:27:22 PM
I've been having this problem as well, must be a bug with studio.
Post by: WetWookie on June 14, 2016, 09:54:35 AM
This error is indicating that the variable called yspeed has no value and so it cannot perform a calculation with it.
In your create event give yspeed a value like this
yspeed = 0;

Any variable you are using should be initialized in your create event (not right click->creation code) with a default value so that the calculations won't bomb if they are not being set in the creation code.

Edit: And the post I replied to is now gone...
Post by: lawatson on June 14, 2016, 03:16:21 PM
Just an addition: If you duplicate an object, it'll have all the events set to happen in the object it was duplicated from (Which obviously is not a good idea since that means that most likely variables won't be read even if you set them). You can fix this at a moment's notice by changing the object that the code runs (Top right of the code screen).
Post by: B0shyl0rd on August 06, 2016, 04:39:18 PM
 :BibleThump: I need help

of Create Event
for object savePointMedium:

global variable difficultySelect(100022, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
 at gml_Object_savePointMedium_CreateEvent_1 (line 3) - if (global.difficultySelect && global.difficulty > 0) {
############################################################################################
Post by: Kyir on August 06, 2016, 10:38:58 PM
You did something that's causing the global difficulty variable to not get set properly when the game starts/loads.
Post by: B0shyl0rd on August 07, 2016, 12:10:52 PM
All I did was make a second room and put a save
(and yes I read the readme on the teleporter)
Post by: patrickgh3 on August 07, 2016, 02:33:05 PM
For this kind of error, where the error itself could be anywhere in the project, it's best to upload your project gmz (go to File -> Export Project). My guess is you have your new room at the top of the list, when rInit should always be at the top so it's the starting room.