I Wanna Community

Fangames => Gameplay & Discussion => Topic started by: thebmxbandit11 on February 09, 2015, 04:03:05 AM

Title: How to prevent fangames from crashing on Windows 8
Post by: thebmxbandit11 on February 09, 2015, 04:03:05 AM
I was just trying to edit around k2 a little to make it work on windows 8 and accidentally stumbled upon a fix for (at least i think) all fangames that crash on windows 8.

Here's how to do it:

Step 1: download this file and save it anywhere https://www.mediafire.com/download/2hytbp9b2450ta4/dmsynth.dll (https://www.mediafire.com/download/2hytbp9b2450ta4/dmsynth.dll)

Step 2: go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 , find this file, and click properties
(click to show/hide)

Step 3: Click advanced on the security tab
(click to show/hide)

Step 4: Click change owner(yours will have a different owner than mine)
(click to show/hide)

Step 5: Click advanced
(click to show/hide)

Step 6: Click Find Now
(click to show/hide)

Step 7: Scroll down to find "Administrators" (the one my mouse is on) highlight it then click OK
(click to show/hide)

Step 8: Click OK
(click to show/hide)

Step 9: Click Apply then click OK
(click to show/hide)

Step 10: Click on Administrators then click Edit...
(click to show/hide)

Step 11: Make sure you are still on Administrators then click Full Control (this should auto check all boxes)
(click to show/hide)

Step 12: Very Important Create a backup folder and copy your current "dmsynth.dll" into it
(click to show/hide)

Step 13: Copy the downloaded dmsynth.dll into C:\Windows\SysWOW64
(click to show/hide)

Step 14: Select "Replace the file in the destination"
(click to show/hide)

Then enjoy playing fangames without worrying about windows 8 versions or crashes :)

I only tested this on the Kamilia 2 Guy boss fight and some save in I wanna be the favorite difficulty, so please feel free to tell me about any issues. I've now thoroughly tested tons of games with no crashes.

Edit: some users are reporting that after a recent windows update that games crash again, This is because windows updated the dmsynth.sll file.  If this happened to you then just redoing the above guide will fix it once again.
Title: Re: I found a way to stop fangames such as Kamilia 2 from crashing on windows 8
Post by: Wolsk on February 09, 2015, 06:41:59 AM
IT WORKS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  :denProgress: :denProgress: :denProgress:
Title: Re: I found a way to stop fangames such as Kamilia 2 from crashing on windows 8
Post by: sharkruisher on February 09, 2015, 06:48:13 AM
thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou
 :Kreygasm:
Post by: Aelya on February 09, 2015, 07:52:31 AM
WOW

well done, this is something sir
Post by: Denferok on February 09, 2015, 01:08:15 PM
#K2Crew
Post by: tehjman1993 on February 09, 2015, 02:11:21 PM
No way ... NO WAY ...

Update: YES WAY YES WAY

K2 crew is back baby
Post by: pieceofcheese87 on February 09, 2015, 03:46:45 PM
THE BANDIT HAS STOLEN MY HEART
Post by: Mr Wonderful on February 09, 2015, 04:11:34 PM
IT WORKS OMYGORD

:atkCry: :atkHappy: :atkLove:
Post by: Fireball7d7 on February 09, 2015, 05:04:48 PM
You Sir, are the real MVP!
Post by: Mannyg2011 on February 09, 2015, 05:30:45 PM
Based BMX Thank you so much for finding this. Now I can actually go and complete a lot of games now. This is amazing :D :denGumi:
Post by: Valioa on February 09, 2015, 09:20:55 PM
THANK YOU!  :atkLove:  I can now play scapegoat, K2, White cherry, etc. now! YESHHH
Post by: Zurai on February 09, 2015, 10:00:36 PM
#Sticked
Post by: Yiazmat7 on February 10, 2015, 01:38:23 PM
OMG IT WORKS!!
You're win8 fangame jesus  :atkHappy:
Post by: Catodic on February 10, 2015, 06:16:26 PM
Damn, nice job!

Thanks, bmx!
Post by: Mattisticus on February 11, 2015, 04:39:33 PM
based pull out brad  :atkLove:
Post by: Snow Fairy on February 15, 2015, 04:44:21 AM
Thank you!  :atkLove:
Post by: Sorata on February 15, 2015, 09:07:46 AM
Does this apply only "Kamilia 2"?
Post by: tehjman1993 on February 15, 2015, 09:51:44 AM
Does this apply only "Kamilia 2"?

Applies to all fangames.
Post by: Sorata on February 17, 2015, 06:45:13 AM
Applies to all fangames.
Thanks !
Post by: KingThe SlendyKiller on February 17, 2015, 08:38:28 PM
Wowowowow, thanks!!!!!  :denProgress: :denProgress: :denProgress:
Post by: Derpyhoovesiwbtg on February 18, 2015, 10:06:32 AM
so thats why its called SysWOW64
Title: Re: How to fix fangames crashing on Windows 8
Post by: Denferok on February 23, 2015, 12:03:05 PM
Modified the title a bit. I hope you don't mind.
Title: Re: How to fix fangames crashing on Windows 8
Post by: thebmxbandit11 on February 27, 2015, 03:15:11 AM
Modified the title a bit. I hope you don't mind.

Although I will miss Kamilia in the title, I updated the post and edited the title a little
Title: Re: How to prevent fangames from crashing on Windows 8
Post by: Mannyg2011 on March 15, 2015, 07:44:44 PM
So is this fix only Temporary? Because I applied the fix before and I had no problems but suddenly today, games that didn't crash because of the fix are crashing again. Scapegoat, Kamilia 2, Barrage, etc... It no problem because I can apply the fix right away but it was just strange that the game started crashing again when it was perfectly fine before.

*Edit: Sudnep did mention to me that it could have been a windows update so I might just have to do this every time windows update. I won't know until the next update or not if it was because Windows updated or not.
Post by: Wolsk on March 15, 2015, 08:29:03 PM
Yeah, pretty sure it is because of a Windows update.  Mine stopped working, too.
Post by: Fireball7d7 on March 15, 2015, 09:17:47 PM
Make sure you use the original downloaded file since the computer doesn't like when you try to rename it.  Ex. When you download the file again, it turns to dmsynth (1).dll
Post by: thebmxbandit11 on March 15, 2015, 10:05:01 PM
So is this fix only Temporary? Because I applied the fix before and I had no problems but suddenly today, games that didn't crash because of the fix are crashing again. Scapegoat, Kamilia 2, Barrage, etc... It no problem because I can apply the fix right away but it was just strange that the game started crashing again when it was perfectly fine before.

*Edit: Sudnep did mention to me that it could have been a windows update so I might just have to do this every time windows update. I won't know until the next update or not if it was because Windows updated or not.
Yeah, pretty sure it is because of a Windows update.  Mine stopped working, too.

Yea I updated this post a few days ago saying that a recent windows update broke the fix, but If you redo all the steps then it will be fixed again.  Also you might not have to get permissions again if they are saved from the last overwrite.
Post by: doddie on March 18, 2015, 08:54:48 AM
OMG!!!! there are no words to describe how much i love you right now <3
Post by: bananaguy12 on March 20, 2015, 09:51:59 PM
I have an account now PogChamp :o
Post by: tehjman1993 on April 03, 2015, 07:41:02 PM
I can confirm that some windows updates WILL reset permissions on the .dll folders, specifically the dmsynth one.

If you suspect that your .dll folder's permissions have been screwed up by an update, check to see if the owner under advanced settings are now under 'trustedinstaller' instead of administrators-your_name. This is from what I observed, as I noticed some games were crashing after doing a system update. Thanks, Windows!
Post by: buzz1213 on April 06, 2015, 01:56:21 PM
Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!
Post by: etg17 on April 27, 2015, 02:06:32 PM
and i though that i would never be able to experience k2 like everyone else
Post by: aytoms29 on May 19, 2016, 11:58:04 PM
Then it updates to windows 10. :Kappa: