I Wanna Community

Fangames => Game Design => Topic started by: YoSniper on December 19, 2014, 09:03:36 PM

Title: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *RESULTS*
Post by: YoSniper on December 19, 2014, 09:03:36 PM
THE RESULTS ARE IN! I WILL BE POSTING LINKS TO THE RESULTS VIDEOS AS I UPLOAD THEM:

Part 1: httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORLC3R-q4fo
Part 2: httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILAo9McazeE
Part 3: httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc-4TkSKylg
Part 4: httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zStZDRZwC-U
Part 5: httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OywdaIFId_M

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it's official! YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 has kicked off!

No pre-registration is required this time around; just submit an entry if you want to participate.

RULES:

OVERALL DESIGN:
1) Any engine is acceptable (even no engine at all)
2) Games must have at a minimum ONE complete area and ONE boss, although more is usually better.
3) Games must be Windows 8 friendly. Abrupt crashes are BAD!!!

RESTRICTIVE:

4) A "God mode" option must be included in the game. This ensures that all judges will be able to play through each game in its entirety.

5) A README file must be included with your game submission. This will just explain in obvious terms how all of the rules are followed, how God mode can be activated, and any other important details.

INNOVATIVE:

6) At least two distinct gimmicks must be employed, NOT including the following:
- Double-jump restores
- Switching lasers
- Gravity switching
- Invisible/fake blocks
- Increased/decreased speed
- Increased/decreased gravity

7) Include at least one collectible item that serves some purpose (not just for the sake of being collected.)

ENTERTAINMENT:

8) Include a reference to either Primal Rage, Killer Instinct, or Mortal Kombat somewhere.

9) The randomly chosen word is "misogamy." Reference this word somehow somewhere in your game.

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION IS JULY 1, 2015

PRIZES THIS YEAR ARE DEPENDENT UPON THE NUMBER OF QUALIFYING ENTRIES, SO THE MORE THE MERRIER!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATE. I WILL BE LOOKING FOR JUDGES AS THE DEADLINE APPROACHES.

PARTICIPANTS:
1. ValDenStudios - CONFIRMED
2. pieceofcheese87 - CONFIRMED
3. TheGamerGuy500 - CONFIRMED
4. zeapawak - CONFIRMED
5. WetWookie - CONFIRMED
6. RandomFangamer - CONFIRMED
7. HAEGOE - CONFIRMED
8. ChrisTheGuySlayer2002 - CONFIRMED
9. klazen108 - CONFIRMED
10. ShutUpNerd - CONFIRMED
11. spriter - CONFIRMED
12. Mr Wonderful - CONFIRMED
13. Derf & Katz - CONFIRMED

JUDGES:
1. YoSniper - VOTED
2. Jmab - VOTED
3. Raganoxer - VOTED
4. Kilgour22 - VOTED
5. Klaty - VOTED
6. Nat - VOTED
7. Paragus - VOTED
8. natedog2007 - VOTED
9. Starz0r - VOTED
10. Musto0063 - VOTED
11. cdmans - VOTED

The prize is a maximum value of 25.00 USD. The winner can redeem this in the form of Steam games, raw cash, or whatever means they wish. They can even waive the whole thing if they want (although that would probably piss off all of the other participants.)

All submitted games are here (except for PSIFT, by Derf's and Katz's request.)
https://www.mediafire.com/?0u72y6sym29385o
Title: Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *PRELIMINARY*
Post by: tehjman1993 on December 19, 2014, 11:15:24 PM
Just wanna say - you're awesome for hosting another contest.
Post by: YoSniper on December 20, 2014, 09:40:25 AM
Just so everyone on this side is also aware, for one of the entertainment rules, I am going to pull a word randomly out of a hat, and that word will need to be referenced somehow in the submitted games.

I am currently looking for word suggestions. Just pick a word out of the dictionary (but please don't pitch words that only a precious few will know. I've already had one guy pitch a whole bunch of ridiculously complicated words.)

Running list is:

- vitamins
- fedora
- queen
- regicide (a fancy word for "assassin" or "assassination", specifically of a king or sovereign)
- aardvark
- alchemy
Post by: SmokeyCR on December 20, 2014, 01:06:08 PM
Just so everyone on this side is also aware, for one of the entertainment rules, I am going to pull a word randomly out of a hat, and that word will need to be referenced somehow in the submitted games.

I am currently looking for word suggestions. Just pick a word out of the dictionary (but please don't pitch words that only a precious few will know. I've already had one guy pitch a whole bunch of ridiculously complicated words.)

Running list is:

- vitamins
- fedora
- queen
- regicide (a fancy word for "assassin" or "assassination", specifically of a king or sovereign)
- aardvark
- alchemy
- nanotechnology  :atkHappy:
Post by: petsson12 on December 20, 2014, 02:23:52 PM

Running list is:

- vitamins
- fedora
- queen
- aardvark
- alchemy
Nercromancy? :BibleThump:
Post by: infern0man1 on December 20, 2014, 03:32:14 PM
This list is great already.

"Using alchemy, the queen committed regicide by turning an aardvark into some precious vitamins in her fedora.
Post by: Kyir on December 21, 2014, 01:32:24 AM
Thank you for allowing jump refreshers. It's like a weight has been lifted from my heart.
Post by: MatthewRPG on December 22, 2014, 08:44:39 PM
I have to wait three months!? Oh well, I may have ignored this contest last time, but no more!!! Count me in on this contest, Sniper!  :atkLove:
Post by: YoSniper on December 23, 2014, 04:59:28 PM
I have to wait three months!? Oh well, I may have ignored this contest last time, but no more!!! Count me in on this contest, Sniper!  :atkLove:
I'd be happy to have you.

I'm not going to go through the whole "pre-registration" stuff this time. Basically, what I'm going to do instead is have the prize vary depending on the number of qualified entries. That way, more participation is encouraged, and I don't have to pay $100 for a train wreck like last year.

Granted, the winners from last year's contest certainly deserved the prize in my mind, but the fact that I lost more than half of my participants really pissed me off.
Post by: petsson12 on December 23, 2014, 08:52:39 PM
This is a great way to get into programming  :atkHappy:
Post by: Hectorpaddy on December 24, 2014, 12:26:30 AM
I'm def gonna be in this time around.
Post by: infern0man1 on December 24, 2014, 01:52:59 AM
Depending on the entertainment word, I may actually make something.
Post by: Zero-G on December 24, 2014, 02:51:08 AM
im totally in
Post by: xiaofei12 on December 24, 2014, 04:34:09 AM
Basically I'm Fut Coins requiring participants to include certain things rather than prohibit gimmicks like double-jump restores and the like.

Pls don't post any suspicious looking links.
-infern0

edit 2:
removed the link
-Zero-G
Post by: YoSniper on December 24, 2014, 11:07:01 AM
Basically I'm Fut Coins (https://www.riddlydiddly.com/) requiring participants to include certain things rather than prohibit gimmicks like double-jump restores and the like.
No idea what "fut coins" means, but yeah, that's basically how this contest is going to operate. I don't intend to really prohibit anything. There will be restrictions, but no prohibitions.
Post by: BBF on December 24, 2014, 12:06:41 PM
It's a spam bot that copies a message and puts a link with apparently random text in it.
Post by: pieceofcheese87 on December 24, 2014, 12:31:34 PM
I'll probably be in this time.
Post by: MatthewRPG on December 24, 2014, 10:07:10 PM
I'd be happy to have you.

I'm not going to go through the whole "pre-registration" stuff this time. Basically, what I'm going to do instead is have the prize vary depending on the number of qualified entries. That way, more participation is encouraged, and I don't have to pay $100 for a train wreck like last year.

Granted, the winners from last year's contest certainly deserved the prize in my mind, but the fact that I lost more than half of my participants really pissed me off.

To be honest, I'm no fan of cash prizes. So, if I do end up winning, (which considering the competition is unlikely.) I feel uncomfortable giving my personal information.  :atkCry:
Post by: YoSniper on December 25, 2014, 11:22:15 AM
To be honest, I'm no fan of cash prizes. So, if I do end up winning, (which considering the competition is unlikely.) I feel uncomfortable giving my personal information.  :atkCry:

Well, if such a situation arises, I can be flexible. I could gift some games on Steam if it comes down to it, or something of the sort.

PayPal is another option. Only snag there is that PayPal takes a small cut.
Post by: klazen108 on December 26, 2014, 01:51:00 PM
If it makes you feel any better Matt, I gave Yosniper my address last year after winning, and I have yet to be hunted down and killed :Kappa:
Post by: pieceofcheese87 on December 27, 2014, 02:25:56 AM
If it makes you feel any better Matt, I gave Yosniper my address last year after winning, and I have yet to be hunted down and killed :Kappa:

I guess the rabid bear he sent to you got stuck in the mail.
Post by: Raganoxer on January 03, 2015, 03:55:29 AM
Count me in, i sent a PM  :atkHappy:
Post by: YoSniper on January 03, 2015, 11:28:34 AM
Not sure if my PM reply went through, so I'll just say it here.

The contest begins in March. I am happy to have anyone who wants to participate/judge post their hype about the contest before then, though.

I will make a formal announcement when the contest begins. I am working my schedule around another event, and I'm trying to be more forgiving with people's school schedules and such.

Just as a heads-up, I am not expecting a complete game from anyone this time. The minimum for a submission will be one area plus one boss, but more is usually better in my mind.

In the meantime, please keep posting ideas about the random dictionary word. If it is very obscure, however, please include a definition.

EDIT: Updated 01/12/2015
Post by: YoSniper on January 25, 2015, 10:06:12 PM
All right, well there are still a couple of weeks to get your random dictionary words in!

The special word will be selected by a roll of a die or a couple of dice, depending on how nice and round the total number winds up being.

Fear not! I will ensure that every word has an equal chance of being selected.
Post by: charizardfuego52 on January 26, 2015, 08:04:34 PM
i know what im doing this year... Im back!
Post by: YoSniper on January 26, 2015, 08:45:31 PM
Glad to have you.
Post by: tehjman1993 on January 26, 2015, 11:26:46 PM
Here's a few good dictionary words that I completely found random in ... a dictionary ... yeah.

Toucan
Arnold Palmer (It's a half lemonade/half iced tea drink, delicious)
Charles Barkley (I swear he's in the dictionary)
Nerd
Seal

Post by: infern0man1 on January 27, 2015, 12:03:35 AM
:Kappa:
Post by: sharkruisher on January 27, 2015, 09:55:36 AM
for the dictionary thing:

Mosh pit
Blitzkrieg
G-force
Wiener schnitzel
Meatballs

and of course
Wacky Waiving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Men
Post by: kilgour22 on January 27, 2015, 11:12:02 AM
For the dictionary word list thing:

Anfractuous
Cacoethes
Cantillate
Disenthral
Lycanthropy
Misogamy
Mollitious

Those are all the interesting words I can think of right now that could be used effectively in a fangame  :Kappa:
Post by: YoSniper on January 27, 2015, 05:03:48 PM
Jesus, you guys. All right, well, I've added everything except for Charles Barkley. I felt that that one was too far-fetched. I'll accept Arnold Palmer in drink form only.
Post by: pieceofcheese87 on January 28, 2015, 06:51:49 AM
I'm rooting for alnord parlmor
Title: Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *DICTIONARY SUGGESTIONS DUE FEB 14*
Post by: YoSniper on February 09, 2015, 04:39:33 PM
Just FYI, less than a week left to get your dictionary entries in for the random drawing! 29 so far...

Just please make it an actual word and not a name. I'm allowing Arnold Palmer, but that's really pushing it.
Post by: HAEGOE on February 10, 2015, 10:07:52 PM
for dictionary thing:

destructive
eight
solar
strong
messier (as in 'more messy', not charles messier)
dignity
swedish
petroleum

...too ordinary?
Post by: YoSniper on February 11, 2015, 05:23:18 PM
for dictionary thing:

destructive
eight
solar
strong
messier (as in 'more messy', not charles messier)
dignity
swedish
petroleum

...too ordinary?
Nah, these are fine.

So now there are a total of 37 words. Three days to go!
Post by: petsson12 on February 11, 2015, 06:12:32 PM
piano
love
waifu  :atkWaifu:
cats
kittens
cry
memes
machines
miku
time

all i can think of atm

Post by: YoSniper on February 11, 2015, 06:54:40 PM
piano
love
waifu  :atkWaifu:    (slang)
cats
kittens    (redundant)
cry
memes
machines
miku    (fuck no)
time

all i can think of atm

I'll add the acceptable ones to the list.
Post by: Fireball7d7 on February 11, 2015, 07:36:18 PM
Defibrillation
High Heel
Cassette
Laser Pointer
Refrigerator
Canned Yams
Post by: YoSniper on February 11, 2015, 08:33:56 PM
Defibrillation
High Heel
Cassette
Laser Pointer
Refrigerator
Canned Yams

Alright, well with a flat 50 possibilities, I'm calling it at that. Thank you all for your input. I shall return with the official start to the contest within the next couple of weeks.
Title: Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *READY SET GO!*
Post by: YoSniper on February 21, 2015, 03:49:42 PM
It's on! See OP for details.
Post by: tehjman1993 on February 21, 2015, 06:34:52 PM
Just as a heads up - the win8 rule is actually fixed for all win8 computers now. bmxbandit posted a quick and easy guide on these forums to fixing win8 to run all fangames with no problems. Just in case you were curious :D
Post by: YoSniper on February 21, 2015, 07:01:28 PM
Just as a heads up - the win8 rule is actually fixed for all win8 computers now. bmxbandit posted a quick and easy guide on these forums to fixing win8 to run all fangames with no problems. Just in case you were curious :D
That's good to know, but the "no crashing" interpretation of that rule still stands.
Post by: YoSniper on March 01, 2015, 08:15:50 PM
I'm keeping a running list of interested participants and judges in the OP. Please keep me informed whether you decide to be in or out, just so I have an idea of what to expect as the deadline approaches.

And again, if SirRouven using the same game as last year rubs anyone the wrong way, please speak up. I do not want to give an unfair advantage to any one person.
Post by: ShutUpNerd on March 03, 2015, 08:44:46 AM
i'd like to join in as a participant

i was in last year as well with my gay wizard entry
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on March 09, 2015, 03:05:50 PM
I am currently developing a game that might get pushed into this contest, as it follows almost all of the rules and then some such as having extra different gimmicks, god mode option, free-fly, no-clip and a metric shitload of other debugging tools to be used at the end-user's will. (All of these will be activated by a code at the title screen. Crashing is a concern because I have no clue what causes it, it rarely happens upon death with certain circumstances.
Post by: YoSniper on March 09, 2015, 05:02:44 PM
I am currently developing a game that might get pushed into this contest, as it follows almost all of the rules and then some such as having extra different gimmicks, god mode option, free-fly, no-clip and a metric shitload of other debugging tools to be used at the end-user's will. (All of these will be activated by a code at the title screen. Crashing is a concern because I have no clue what causes it, it rarely happens upon death with certain circumstances.
If it's Windows 8 related, a fix has been found for such circumstances. I can usually only recommend not playing too many sounds at the same time (which this fix... well, fixes.) I also recommend not using too many object instances at one time.

If the game crashes suddenly, it's likely a hardware problem (like Windows 8.) If it crashes because it stalls out, I've often found that it's an infinite loop issue in the code (such as a while loop.)

In any event, I'd be happy to have you in the contest. Shall I add you to the list?
Post by: Mr Wonderful on March 10, 2015, 12:08:09 PM
I'll participate again this year. I promise not to make it needle this time.  :atkWaifu:
Post by: OhNoezEinPandy on March 10, 2015, 12:27:54 PM
I'll participate again this year. I promise not to make it needle this time.  :atkWaifu:

Quoted so this post stays for all eternity. Mrwonderfulman non-needle game hype! NO PRESSURE! :4Head:
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on March 11, 2015, 03:03:03 PM
If it's Windows 8 related, a fix has been found for such circumstances. I can usually only recommend not playing too many sounds at the same time (which this fix... well, fixes.) I also recommend not using too many object instances at one time.

If the game crashes suddenly, it's likely a hardware problem (like Windows 8.) If it crashes because it stalls out, I've often found that it's an infinite loop issue in the code (such as a while loop.)

In any event, I'd be happy to have you in the contest. Shall I add you to the list?
Yeah I'll participate why not :atkHappy:
The death crash is very rare, but it might happen once or twice in a normal playthrough maybe because I'm on a mac using wineskin to use windows gamemaker, something will go wrong there.
Nonetheless I'll be happy to join this contest to see what happens :Kappa:
Also the death crash doesn't seem to be related to the windows version used. It even happened once on an XP <.<
I haven't messed with the death objects or execution of its code, it's still completely engine-defaulted.
Post by: Starz0r on March 12, 2015, 08:01:51 AM
I'm interested in judging this year.
Post by: YoSniper on March 22, 2015, 06:27:25 PM
Quick update! I am capping the number of judges for now, but if you want to judge and your name is not on the list, I will add you to a wait list.
Post by: Fireball7d7 on March 22, 2015, 09:58:53 PM
I'm interested in judging and am fine with being placed on the wait list.
Post by: klazen108 on March 23, 2015, 08:21:31 PM
Good luck to all the participants this year :denMiku_v2:
Post by: MatthewRPG on March 26, 2015, 05:46:18 PM
You listed Raganoxer twice, just as heads-up.  :Kappa:
Post by: YoSniper on March 27, 2015, 04:38:43 PM
You listed Raganoxer twice, just as heads-up.  :Kappa:
Thank you for catching that. I looked through both threads to see if I had mistakenly glazed over someone else, but could find none. As a result, Fireball7d7 is now among the judges.
Post by: cdmans on April 02, 2015, 09:41:04 PM
I am interested in judging if there are any spots left
Post by: MatthewRPG on April 12, 2015, 09:09:56 PM
Hey Snipes, I have some bad news...  :BibleThump:
I recently dropped my laptop when the table it was placed on fell. It doesn't work anymore...
I'm typing this from my old laptop which is not fit for fangaming, it's so slow...
Am I giving up on my fangame? Hell no!
I don't care if I have to restart the damned thing, I'm finishing it!
I'm having to use a computer which is much better than my laptops, but it can't connect to the internet. So I'm having to use a flash drive to download certain sprites, music, etc. It's a very difficult process, but I'm not giving up, I will finish my fangame!
...This was just a heads-up to let you know of my current state.  :MVGame:
Post by: YoSniper on April 13, 2015, 04:38:49 PM
Hey Snipes, I have some bad news...  :BibleThump:
I recently dropped my laptop when the table it was placed on fell. It doesn't work anymore...
I'm typing this from my old laptop which is not fit for fangaming, it's so slow...
Am I giving up on my fangame? Hell no!
I don't care if I have to restart the damned thing, I'm finishing it!
I'm having to use a computer which is much better than my laptops, but it can't connect to the internet. So I'm having to use a flash drive to download certain sprites, music, etc. It's a very difficult process, but I'm not giving up, I will finish my fangame!
...This was just a heads-up to let you know of my current state.  :MVGame:
Well, the good news is that you still have 2.5 months to submit your entry. Sorry to hear about this setback, but I'm glad you're not letting that stop you!
Post by: MatthewRPG on April 20, 2015, 06:53:13 PM
I have to restart the game again. NOT LETTING THAT GET IN MY WAY!!! Ah ha ha- I'll never finish this damned game  :atkCry:
I'm still in, though.
Post by: YoSniper on April 20, 2015, 08:52:27 PM
I have to restart the game again. NOT LETTING THAT GET IN MY WAY!!! Ah ha ha- I'll never finish this damned game  :atkCry:
I'm still in, though.
Remember that I only require an alpha. I also think that given this pattern, you should save your progress versions on mediafire or something. That way you don't have to start all over.

Also, does anyone else have any progress that they would like to announce? The thread overall has been very quiet.
Post by: WetWookie on April 26, 2015, 05:37:12 PM
I intend to submit a game.
Post by: YoSniper on April 26, 2015, 09:11:30 PM
I intend to submit a game.
Sweet! I look forward to seeing it.
Post by: RandomFangamer on April 27, 2015, 04:24:43 PM
I will submit I Wanna Kill The Memes (my game) if it is ready on time
I have been working on it for about a month so I'm not far behind
Might even stream work on it.

Post by: YoSniper on April 27, 2015, 04:36:43 PM
I will submit I Wanna Kill The Memes (my game) if it is ready on time
I have been working on it for about a month so I'm not far behind
Might even stream work on it.
Added!
Post by: WetWookie on April 30, 2015, 01:40:01 PM
7) Include at least one collectible item that serves some purpose (not just for the sake of being collected.)

By serves some purpose do you mean that it must be collected (ie. Get the hammer collectable to be able to break blocks that prevent you from finishing the game) or could it be something optional but allows for slightly different game play (ie. If you have it you can rewind one death per room) or could it be something like a skin change for the kid?
Post by: YoSniper on April 30, 2015, 09:29:14 PM

By serves some purpose do you mean that it must be collected (ie. Get the hammer collectable to be able to break blocks that prevent you from finishing the game) or could it be something optional but allows for slightly different game play (ie. If you have it you can rewind one death per room) or could it be something like a skin change for the kid?
Itt can be either. As long as collecting the item serves some kind of game-altering purpose. In other words, an item you collect just so it shows up as a trophy  somewhere would not count.
Post by: HAEGOE on May 01, 2015, 12:32:42 AM
I have something I'm making, and I think I can modify it for a little to make it fit the rules.
and I have a few questions that I want to ask :

1. you said a must-be collected items(what wetwookie said) are allowed. could they be disposable? (like you need to get a bomb to destroy one hazard and get others for others)

2. If so, can that item itself be a gimmick, or I need to make two gimmicks that does not including getting items and using it?

3. If I join and register my game before deadline, can I release it right after submission or I have to wait until deadline?
Post by: YoSniper on May 01, 2015, 07:15:56 AM
I have something I'm making, and I think I can modify it for a little to make it fit the rules.
and I have a few questions that I want to ask :

1. you said a must-be collected items(what wetwookie said) are allowed. could they be disposable? (like you need to get a bomb to destroy one hazard and get others for others)

2. If so, can that item itself be a gimmick, or I need to make two gimmicks that does not including getting items and using it?

3. If I join and register my game before deadline, can I release it right after submission or I have to wait until deadline?
1. Yes. That would be an acceptable use of the collectible item rule.

2. Yes, that can count as a gimmick, but I would recommend that if you want to call it a gimmick, it shouldn't be a "one and done" deal. In other words, you should probably have the player destroy multiple walls.

3. I have no issue with when you publish/release your game. That would be fine.
Post by: WetWookie on May 01, 2015, 11:04:18 AM
6) At least two distinct gimmicks must be employed, NOT including the following:

I'm thinking of giving the player the ability to activate 'bullet time' for a limited time once per room. Would this count as an acceptable gimmick since it's not just setting the speed on the room as a room element and is instead used consciously by the player as a strategic element?
Post by: YoSniper on May 01, 2015, 04:30:12 PM

I'm thinking of giving the player the ability to activate 'bullet time' for a limited time once per room. Would this count as an acceptable gimmick since it's not just setting the speed on the room as a room element and is instead used consciously by the player as a strategic element?

The increased/decreased speed I mentioned in the list was a gimmick like some where there are stretches within which the player moves at 3x his normal speed (horizontally) or something of the sort. Bullet-time presumably would affect the fps, and not simply the Kid's horizontal speed. So in that case, yes, I would allow that as an acceptable gimmick.
Post by: Hectorpaddy on May 01, 2015, 08:31:25 PM
I'm in too
Post by: YoSniper on May 02, 2015, 11:01:20 AM
I'm in too
Woot!
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on May 10, 2015, 01:42:11 PM
As far as I know I think my game would follow all of the rules
It does have more than one area and more than one boss although the bosses are just concepts (so they fly around and shoot, not much else yet)
Misogamy is referenced in secret 9.
A reference to mortal kombat will be added at the end of the last boss.
2 main gimmicks are mid-air hovering and the last areas have this powerup where you temporarily transform into a flying demon (totally not inspired by Wings of Vi) which is currently available in the debug mode. If that doesn't count then boost arrows (rocket the player in a single direction) would be the second gimmick.
The game has so many debug features it's unreal, which include free-fly, and rightclick in freefly to teleport, spawning objects, and etc.
Collectible items are definitely a thing, planning for 20 different collectible characters and 10 different weapons to change up how and where you can save your game at.
Whew.
Post by: YoSniper on May 10, 2015, 02:55:47 PM
It does have more than one area and more than one boss although the bosses are just concepts (so they fly around and shoot, not much else yet)
2 main gimmicks are mid-air hovering and the last areas have this powerup where you temporarily transform into a flying demon (totally not inspired by Wings of Vi) which is currently available in the debug mode. If that doesn't count then boost arrows (rocket the player in a single direction) would be the second gimmick.
The game has so many debug features it's unreal, which include free-fly, and rightclick in freefly to teleport, spawning objects, and etc.
Collectible items are definitely a thing, planning for 20 different collectible characters and 10 different weapons to change up how and where you can save your game at.
Whew.
...yeah, I'd say your game more than qualifies. I look forward to seeing it.
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on May 11, 2015, 03:59:03 PM
Whew.
...yeah, I'd say your game more than qualifies. I look forward to seeing it.
BUT... the random-rare-crash-on-death bug still exists, and I still don't know what causes it so I'm kinda scared. :BibleThump:
Post by: YoSniper on May 11, 2015, 07:03:38 PM
BUT... the random-rare-crash-on-death bug still exists, and I still don't know what causes it so I'm kinda scared. :BibleThump:
So is that an instantaneous hard crash (like Windows 8?) Or is it a stall out (like an infinite loop?)

For the former, there is a whole thread dedicated to avoiding Win8-related crashes. For the latter, you'll have to comb through your code. See if you can consistently repeat the issue, and then you may be able to solve it.
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on May 13, 2015, 03:38:33 PM
It is literally random and can happen on any OS, even XP, it doesn't seem to be caused by the code, because there's no way GM code can cause the game to freeze and stop responding forever. Nothing calls game_pause. It seems to happen more after a long time of playing, when the crash can occur, usually by a death or even entering a room. It might be because for some reason the game process memory decays and eventually it can't make do with its memory limit decreasing maybe. It's rare, and doesn't happen often, but if one single crash is a disqualification then I might not have a chance. It sucks to not know something.
I'd need someone who knows GM and windows memory issues that can figure out the single byte that just so happens to corrupt an EXE or something.
Post by: klazen108 on May 13, 2015, 03:57:00 PM
there's no way GM code can cause the game to freeze and stop responding forever.

Code: [Select]
while 1 {}
:Kappa:

...on a slightly more helpful note, crashes that happen after a random time period are usually traced back to memory leaks. They can cause unexpected things to happen; for instance, create events stop firing but everything else runs normally (true story). This almost always has to do with improper use of the following: particle systems, lists (or any other ds_ structure), sprite creation/destruction, surfaces, external loading of resources. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but they are the most common causes. If you use anything like those anywhere in your code, I would try commenting them out and trying to run your game again, even if you're sure that there's no way that whatever is happening is related. If it turns out that they are a cause, you can track down the culprit and then try to apply a better solution than simply commenting it out.
Post by: YoSniper on May 13, 2015, 04:07:39 PM
It's rare, and doesn't happen often, but if one single crash is a disqualification then I might not have a chance. It sucks to not know something.
I will be sure to elaborate on this rule. I don't think any games will be outright disqualified for a single rule violation this time around (like last year,) but if crashes do happen, it will most certainly affect your score in the long run.

Basically, if a judge decides that a game is "disqialified" then they just won't vote for it.

I'm trying not to scare anyone off.

But do look into your code. A while loop that tirns out to be infinite is most likely the cause of your issue. I know it would be a lot of work, but a debugging technique you might want to try is something like this for while loops:

var loopcount, MAXLOOPS;
MAXLOOPS = 100;
loopcount =0;
while (conditions) and loopcount < MAXLOOP {
    //your code like normal
    loopcount += 1;
}
if loopcount == MAXLOOP {
    show_message ("infinite loop encountered");
}
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on May 17, 2015, 11:17:00 AM
It's rare, and doesn't happen often, but if one single crash is a disqualification then I might not have a chance. It sucks to not know something.
I will be sure to elaborate on this rule. I don't think any games will be outright disqualified for a single rule violation this time around (like last year,) but if crashes do happen, it will most certainly affect your score in the long run.

Basically, if a judge decides that a game is "disqialified" then they just won't vote for it.

I'm trying not to scare anyone off.

But do look into your code. A while loop that tirns out to be infinite is most likely the cause of your issue. I know it would be a lot of work, but a debugging technique you might want to try is something like this for while loops:

var loopcount, MAXLOOPS;
MAXLOOPS = 100;
loopcount =0;
while (conditions) and loopcount < MAXLOOP {
    //your code like normal
    loopcount += 1;
}
if loopcount == MAXLOOP {
    show_message ("infinite loop encountered");
}

Here's the thing. I don't use 'while' anywhere unless it's part of the engine.
About how it could be tailored to some of Klazen's mentioned problems: I do use a particle system but the crash still happened in I Wanna Be Gaming (my first game) before I had GM pro which would ALLOW for particles.
I was thinking sprite creation might cause it since death blood is a sprite.
BUT on even rarer occasion just switching a room can cause it.
It could be because I run GameMaker through Windows Emulation on a mac since I'm stuck with this Macintosh.
Can't let having a Shart-Garbo Mac stop me from making a game, right? :atkCry:

Anyway, I still think I need someone who knows how Windows memory works, because the crash can even happen on my windows emulation.
The emulation software hasn't failed me very much in terms of file creation. Hell, it can even run the game at full speed 50FPS, at least for a while. Literally everything works almost exactly how GM would work on another computer.
I'd suggest getting WhatIsHang or some other Hang-debugger and finding out the issue.
This emulation software doesn't run everything but GM is one of the things that CAN operate flawlessly under it.
The question still sits, if I don't use any code with 'while' in it what could cause an infinite loop at random?
Title: Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *NOW ACCEPTING*
Post by: YoSniper on May 27, 2015, 08:49:25 PM
Please start submitting your games now! See video in OP.

Even if you submit a game early on, you can replace it with a later version if you want to at a later time. Only the latest submissions from each participant will be considered, so YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BY SECURING YOUR SPOT EARLY!
Post by: YoSniper on June 11, 2015, 04:55:18 PM
Attention all participants and prospective participants!!!

I have received at least two README files now that state that their respective games have "a lot of gimmicks."

Please elaborate on two specific gimmicks that you use in the game and that are not listed in rule #6, even if they are extremely obvious in the game.

My goal is to remove as much ambiguity as possible, so it is plain as day that every game submitted qualifies.
Post by: Hectorpaddy on June 12, 2015, 04:32:12 PM
I will have to drop out
I'm sorry, I just have a lot of school stuff going on right and and stuff.
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on June 20, 2015, 03:19:06 PM
Eh, my "version 6" is actually just the build number of how far it was in development by the time I entered it into this contest (I had a build 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 before entering it)
Post by: YoSniper on June 20, 2015, 07:04:01 PM
So far, I have received 6 entries, so there will at least be money involved! WOOT!

Judges, this past week I sent out a request for e-mail addresses that I could use to add you to the wiki. As of right now, only Kilgour and myself are registered on the wiki. PLEASE SEND ME AN E-MAIL ADDRESS SOON SO I CAN ADD YOU!
Post by: YoSniper on June 23, 2015, 05:40:02 PM
So, question for the community.

I received an entry today, and the first time I ran it, it ran fine. However, every subsequent time I've attempted to run the game, I get an error message saying "Unexpected error occurred while trying to run the game."

This game was made in Game Maker Lite, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I searched for hidden files and folders, I've tried recopying the game from the original ZIP file, and I've even tried restarting my computer. Nothing has worked. I really want to give this person a chance, so any ideas would be appreciated.
Post by: MatthewRPG on June 23, 2015, 06:44:51 PM
YoSniper, this is honestly really hard for me to say.
I've been developing this game for the past three months and I can safely say that it was one of the most painful processes I've ever had in my life. I've restarted this game, once out of a broken laptop, and many... many times out of my own merit. This game has lost the charm and fun-ness it once had. I'm not having fun anymore. But, please, please do not think I was lazy or not brave during this. I tried my damned hardest and I failed, with family issues and overall friends worrying about me because of how disconnected from everyone this has made me, I've stuck through and worked on this game. Had I not been a dumbass and broke my laptop, I probably would've finished it, and maybe even had a chance at winning. But, incase you didn't know, I am dropping out of this contest.
Maybe next year, Snipes.  :atkCry:
Post by: WetWookie on June 23, 2015, 07:47:39 PM
yosniper, the best I can suggest is to try it on another pc. If it does the same exact thing then we know it's most likely changing or adding a file somewhere wierd (like appdata) and failing when it tries to do so a second time and the file already exists\contains bad data.
Post by: YoSniper on June 23, 2015, 07:59:26 PM
yosniper, the best I can suggest is to try it on another pc. If it does the same exact thing then we know it's most likely changing or adding a file somewhere wierd (like appdata) and failing when it tries to do so a second time and the file already exists\contains bad data.
If I had another PC to test that theory, I'd do so, but as it stands, I simply cannot run the game anymore. I'll post about it on my wiki for judges and see if any of them can figure this out, but other than that, I'm tapping out.
Post by: Raganoxer on June 24, 2015, 08:32:14 AM
sent a message, still in the contest ready to judge. do you still need the email?
Post by: YoSniper on June 24, 2015, 04:41:37 PM
sent a message, still in the contest ready to judge. do you still need the email?
I got an e-mail address from you, but last I checked on the wiki, you were still unverified. You should have received an e-mail from PBWorks.
Post by: WetWookie on June 24, 2015, 04:52:49 PM
I know it depends on how many more games come in and how long they all are but is there a loose time frame for how long we hope judging to take?
Post by: YoSniper on June 24, 2015, 05:27:25 PM
I know it depends on how many more games come in and how long they all are but is there a loose time frame for how long we hope judging to take?
If my laptop holds out, I hope to get the results videos started either at the end of July or beginning of August. If my machine craps out, maybe mid-August. I'll keep you posted (I have a smartphone.)
Post by: YoSniper on June 25, 2015, 10:48:50 PM
Just so everyone is aware, the game that was not running has been replaced by a later version, and that one does work.

Let's hope this doesn't happen with any other entries.
Post by: Katz on June 28, 2015, 11:51:42 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/ztFEXPQ.png)

Just wanted to make one last teaser for what we've been cooking up. Good luck to all of you, and we hope your game(s) turn out to the best you could do!
Post by: Mr Wonderful on June 30, 2015, 06:17:30 PM
Is deadline tonight or tomorrow night? I'm not 100% certain :s
Post by: YoSniper on June 30, 2015, 06:41:54 PM
Is deadline tonight or tomorrow night? I'm not 100% certain :s
Deadline is tomorrow night. That is July 1st at around 10pm EDT.
Post by: Mr Wonderful on June 30, 2015, 07:39:19 PM
Alright, thanks  :atkHappy:
Post by: YoSniper on July 01, 2015, 05:07:32 PM
Attention prospective participants:

This is your last day
to submit your games.

If your name is not listed with a green "CONFIRMED" next to it in the OP by the end of today, you WILL NOT be a valid participant or judge. The "end of today" will be defined when I upload a video indicating that the window has closed.

As of this post, you still have roughly 5 hours to submit.
Post by: ShutUpNerd on July 01, 2015, 08:32:06 PM
sent

Post by: Mr Wonderful on July 01, 2015, 09:28:36 PM
Sending mine via pm in a few minutes.

*Sent
Title: Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *JUDGING IN PROGRESS*
Post by: tehjman1993 on July 02, 2015, 01:12:36 PM
Will the submitted games list be made public so non-judges can play as well? I'd be curious to see how my own rankings match up with the judges'.
Post by: YoSniper on July 02, 2015, 04:31:57 PM
Will the submitted games list be made public so non-judges can play as well? I'd be curious to see how my own rankings match up with the judges'.
When the results get posted, I will include links to the submitted games. There will be one that won't be included because of the author's request, but the rest will be present.
Post by: tehjman1993 on July 03, 2015, 02:35:56 PM
When the results get posted, I will include links to the submitted games. There will be one that won't be included because of the author's request, but the rest will be present.

Sounds good, thanks.
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on July 05, 2015, 01:46:36 PM
Well, I could just go ahead and link up the post for my game since it is public (I'm kinda feedback-hungry :BibleThump: ) and every version will be public including the one recently released for the contest as long as it's aight with YoSniper.

EDIT: https://www.iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=1403.0
Well there it is for all you curious folk out there. Judge it if you want, tell me what I should fix, tell me what's good and bad, GIVE IT TO ME STRAIGHT, DOC.
Post by: YoSniper on July 05, 2015, 03:30:11 PM
Well, I could just go ahead and link up the post for my game since it is public (I'm kinda feedback-hungry :BibleThump: ) and every version will be public including the one recently released for the contest as long as it's aight with YoSniper.
You can do what you want with your game. Go ahead and do that if you want.
Post by: YoSniper on August 01, 2015, 10:23:08 AM
So, this should be my final post on the topic before the results videos start getting uploaded.

I am still waiting on three judges' votes; specifically Starz0r, Kilgour22, and natedog2007. The three of you have thru August 8, 2015 to finish giving your opinions on the games, and to vote.

When I come back online on Sunday, August 9, whatever votes are present will be the FINAL COUNT. And hopefully, the results videos will begin that week.

As for me, the radio silence starts NOW. See you guys in a week or so.

Also, the public download for the contest submissions is now in the OP. Note that Derf's and Katz's entry (PSIFT) is not in that package, because they wanted "the first public experience with the game to be a more complete release." Hit them up if you want to see the latest updates on that.
Title: Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *JUDGE VOTES DUE AUGUST 8*
Post by: YoSniper on August 07, 2015, 12:17:50 PM
So just a quick update.

I am back to civilization, but I'm still on vacation thru the 8th. I only have internet through my mobile device.

All judges have voted!

My goal is to have the first results video ready by Saturday the 15th, but no guarantees.

Thank you all for your patience and participation.
Title: Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *RESULTS*
Post by: YoSniper on August 11, 2015, 09:55:23 PM
First results video is up. See the OP.

And just an FYI to the judges: I did not include EVERYONE'S opinions in the videos, and I don't intend to for future videos. Instead, in the last video, I will post a link to a complete Word document including all of the opinions you gave on the wiki.
Post by: bananaguy12 on August 12, 2015, 02:14:28 PM
If there is a contest next year, or whenever, i will hopefully participate. I think i can make a sort of decent game maybe. :atkWaifu:
Post by: TheGamerGuy500 on August 14, 2015, 12:04:51 PM
I shall be using the results of this year to determine if I should continue my entry as a full game or abandon it completely for my new side project.
Post by: YoSniper on August 15, 2015, 08:46:51 PM
Part 2 is up! Two more entries down.
Post by: Kyir on August 16, 2015, 01:23:58 AM
You seem to have a real problem with avoidance bosses :( when did one hurt you?
Post by: Swordslinger on August 16, 2015, 05:39:48 AM

If I were to guess i would say it was when Lovetrap became a thing :Kappa:
Post by: YoSniper on August 16, 2015, 09:06:18 AM
It's that they become really boring really fast for me, but for some reason they've become a fad in modern fangames.

It irks me when something comes down to nothing more than long strings of memorization. Not to mention that the human brain is limited to the amount of information it can take in at a given time, so concentrating on every projectile in an avoidance segment that could potentially be a threat is overwhelming.

What I want to see, and what I grew up with, more or less, are bosses that you have to damage in some fashion, and that when mastered, don't take three whole minutes.

This is also one of the reasons I fell out of love with Guitar Hero. If you fuck up ONE note, you have no chance of 100%-ing the song unless you start over. The songs are several minutes long, so one mistake costs you that much more of your life.

That's basically my perspective. You can disagree if you want. I tend not to give high votes to games in my contest that utilize avoidance bosses, but other judges might enjoy it. It's not out of the question that an avoidance boss game could win my contest one year. I just personally see it as unlikely.
Post by: YoSniper on August 24, 2015, 08:12:26 PM
Part 3 is up, finally. Sorry it's taking me so long to get to these. I swear I'm moving as fast as I can.
Post by: YoSniper on August 29, 2015, 01:33:52 AM
Site appears to have had a little bit of a hiccup, but just letting you all know that part 4 is up!

I'll need at least another week to put the final video together. Thank you for your continued patience.
Post by: YoSniper on September 05, 2015, 09:57:50 PM
Final results video is up!

I'll follow through with giving out the prize tomorrow. Hope you all had fun!
Post by: Mr Wonderful on September 05, 2015, 10:39:51 PM
Thanks again for hosting the contest! The videos were all great. Looking forward to next year.
Post by: Katz on September 05, 2015, 10:48:05 PM
Thanks again for hosting the contest! The videos were all great. Looking forward to next year.
Post by: Derf on September 05, 2015, 11:16:47 PM
thank for having us YoSniper, I promise will not wet bed next time I stay at your hous. x

(good comp, greast comp, will comp again, but vow next time, will win)
Post by: klazen108 on September 06, 2015, 01:19:16 AM
GG WP NO RE

(Thanks for the contest! Very cool seeing all the entries this year. See you next time!)
Post by: Kyir on September 08, 2015, 04:17:39 AM
Thanks for running the contest as always.