I Wanna Community

Fangames => Gameplay & Discussion => Topic started by: infern0man1 on July 21, 2014, 07:04:34 PM

Title: Interesting Jump Concept
Post by: infern0man1 on July 21, 2014, 07:04:34 PM
(https://i.snag.gy/Wst5u.jpg)

I'm not shitting you when I say that the jump posted above is in fact possible. Because of the damage block, you can regain your single/double jump a frame before you actually die to it.

Just thought I'd share.

Oh, and ignore the graphics. That's for something else.
Title: Re: Interesting Jump Concept
Post by: Zero-G on July 21, 2014, 07:15:15 PM
do you mean cause of
 if(place_meeting(x,y+1,block) ?
Post by: REBAG on July 21, 2014, 08:54:55 PM
Are you saying I could do that jump by basically mashing the shift button as fast as possible?
Post by: infern0man1 on July 21, 2014, 10:05:54 PM
do you mean cause of
 if(place_meeting(x,y+1,block) ?

I guess, though I'm no genius with how GM codes work in an engine.

Are you saying I could do that jump by basically mashing the shift button as fast as possible?

Not exactly. Just because you mash jump doesn't mean you'll jump on the right frame. It's frame perfect, I should say.
Post by: Kinata on July 21, 2014, 10:23:43 PM
Are you sure? I tested damage blocks in Butterfly Nova and you can't do anything like that in its engine. Maybe one engine just fucked up the damage blocks.
Post by: infern0man1 on July 22, 2014, 02:09:22 AM
I used Yuuutu edition after accidently triple jumping on a jump in Act Like a Masochist original. Maybe it's the fact that I used Win8 when I found this out as well.

Alhough Lemon uses a similar concept in Needle Reaper 3, though that may just be the wall vines doing. Not the damage block.
Post by: JGBMaster on July 22, 2014, 04:57:51 AM
Wow. Congrats on finding this, man!
Post by: lemonxreaper on July 22, 2014, 08:51:23 AM
Are you sure? I tested damage blocks in Butterfly Nova and you can't do anything like that in its engine. Maybe one engine just fucked up the damage blocks.

the ones in that game have the block parent removed, just like in mine and just act like player killers rather than solid blocks...which I have no idea why the fuck they are in yuuutu. it doesn't make sense.
Post by: JGBMaster on July 31, 2014, 05:58:33 AM
I've been trying to do this jump for tons of hours since I knew it was possible. I've actually made it! :atkHappy:

Here's the video :3
httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2m7BdUF8j0

The problem is that I haven't been able to do it again D:
Post by: lemonxreaper on August 06, 2014, 10:25:56 PM
you can actually do the same thing with water blocks, because yuuutu cant code or something.

i mean...I know why it works...but not why he would leave in the thing that causes it.

(https://i.gyazo.com/0077242b4ae09de2e1823f89e16e82ac.png)

I guess il explain how these work, basically the kid checks if he is colliding with an area that is the blocks hitbox raised by 1 pixel if he can do a single jump.
hence why it works on the damageblock (since its also technically a block for no reason). its valign dependent if you hadn't guessed from that.
its the same for the water. but why it checks for the 1 pixel up instead of the regular area is beyond me. especially since this means if you are touching the bottom pixel of the water. you will still have the speed limiter. but you cant jump.
Post by: Wolsk on August 07, 2014, 07:03:34 AM
Is it maybe because if a spike and block overlap, you would die if you tried to stand on the block (if it weren't coded this way)?  There are a few fangames that have that issue, and I've always wondered why.  If not, then yeah, I have no idea.
Post by: lemonxreaper on August 07, 2014, 06:50:40 PM
well for the block its the only way to check if the player is ontop, since you never truely collide with the block...as in overlapping. the issue you are talking about it easily fixed. but not many knows how.
what confuses me is why its coded like that for the water.
Post by: Kinata on January 16, 2015, 06:35:09 PM

Not exactly. Just because you mash jump doesn't mean you'll jump on the right frame. It's frame perfect, I should say.
If you press shift at every frame it should work :BionicBunion:
[/quote]

Not if you're on the wrong V-string.