I Wanna Community

Fangames => Game Design => Programming Questions => Topic started by: l3agu32 on April 17, 2016, 07:50:36 PM

Title: Question about the limit of [itemNum](1-8) for global variables in yoyoyo engine
Post by: l3agu32 on April 17, 2016, 07:50:36 PM
 I'm using gm studio with yoyoyo engine.
 I know I can create different global variables for similar uses,but I saw in the yoyoyo and yuutu engines that they created the global.secretItem[itemNum] and global.bossItem[itemNum] variables with "[itemNum]" being from 1 to 8. Is the number 8 a limit in global variables or what's the reason for this limitation? Thank you.
Title: Re: Question about the limit of [itemNum](1-8) for global variables in yoyoyo engine
Post by: YoSniper on April 17, 2016, 09:39:57 PM
I'm using gm studio with yoyoyo engine.
 I know I can create different global variables for similar uses,but I saw in the yoyoyo and yuutu engines that they created the global.secretItem[itemNum] and global.bossItem[itemNum] variables with "[itemNum]" being from 1 to 8. Is the number 8 a limit in global variables or what's the reason for this limitation? Thank you.
If it is an established list in code (like in the Create Event,) then the "limit" of 8 can be increased if desired. The number 8 was just an easy value to use as a default.

The only hard limits I can think of are, for example, background layers, views, and view properties. Those are more or less built into the room instances.
Title: Re: Question about the limit of [itemNum](1-8) for global variables in yoyoyo engine
Post by: patrickgh3 on April 18, 2016, 04:29:36 AM
No, there's no technical limitation keeping the number of items to 8. I think it's just that 8 is a nice number for boss items. Games that aren't huge won't need more than 8, and 8 items also fit nicely into 2 rows on the file select screen. But most likely it's 8 because that's how many the original IWBTG had.
Post by: L4Vo5 on April 18, 2016, 09:10:43 AM
And if 8 WERE the limit, it would most likely be something for all arrays, and not just for global ones