I Wanna Community

Fangames => Game Design => Topic started by: Hop on November 22, 2015, 01:03:02 PM

Title: How should Extra Stages/Screens be implemented?
Post by: Hop on November 22, 2015, 01:03:02 PM
As I have been designing a few Extra screens for my game I started to like them more than most of the screens I had in the main game. So my question is why have Extra at all? If you like the screens why not just put them in the main game instead of potentially locking off the best content. I like the idea of finding secrets in order to unlock an extra stage, but realizing then that most players would never see it is discouraging. I can see it as a good reward for dedicated players, but with new games coming out everyday it's hard to retain an audience for very long.
Title: Re: How should Extra Stages/Screens be implemented?
Post by: Cantavanda on November 22, 2015, 03:02:57 PM
Even though not many people will find them, I still love extra or secret rooms/screens.
You could put down small tips, and so a little few more people will find them, not a problem to me.
Post by: Kyir on November 22, 2015, 06:30:38 PM
Why not? Enjoyment for the player is probably #3 on my list of reasons for game making, enjoying myself is definitely higher, and hiding secrets is fun.
Post by: lawatson on November 22, 2015, 06:44:16 PM
I usually make games for myself to play, and if it's good by my standards, I go with it.
Post by: Denferok on November 23, 2015, 09:15:39 AM
You should be creating a game that is fun for you to play. If you like secret hunting you should go with it.
Post by: zaphod77 on January 17, 2016, 09:24:23 PM
Having an awesome secret area, especially one that's not too hard to find, will encourage the player to go secret hunting.

Awesome secrets make secret hunting more fun.