Author Topic: Question about the limit of [itemNum](1-8) for global variables in yoyoyo engine  (Read 1887 times)

l3agu32

• Wannabe
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2012 Windows 8.1/Server 2012
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.112 Chrome 49.0.2623.112
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
 I'm using gm studio with yoyoyo engine.
 I know I can create different global variables for similar uses,but I saw in the yoyoyo and yuutu engines that they created the global.secretItem[itemNum] and global.bossItem[itemNum] variables with "[itemNum]" being from 1 to 8. Is the number 8 a limit in global variables or what's the reason for this limitation? Thank you.

YoSniper

• Awexome
  • Global Moderator
  • Spike Dodger
  • People regard me as a programming overlord.
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
I'm using gm studio with yoyoyo engine.
 I know I can create different global variables for similar uses,but I saw in the yoyoyo and yuutu engines that they created the global.secretItem[itemNum] and global.bossItem[itemNum] variables with "[itemNum]" being from 1 to 8. Is the number 8 a limit in global variables or what's the reason for this limitation? Thank you.
If it is an established list in code (like in the Create Event,) then the "limit" of 8 can be increased if desired. The number 8 was just an easy value to use as a default.

The only hard limits I can think of are, for example, background layers, views, and view properties. Those are more or less built into the room instances.
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Twitter: @YoSniperGames
Twitch: yosniper

Streams happen whenever I feel like it.

patrickgh3

• Spike Dodger
  • stay optimistic! :D
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Github
No, there's no technical limitation keeping the number of items to 8. I think it's just that 8 is a nice number for boss items. Games that aren't huge won't need more than 8, and 8 items also fit nicely into 2 rows on the file select screen. But most likely it's 8 because that's how many the original IWBTG had.

L4Vo5

• Cherry Eater
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
And if 8 WERE the limit, it would most likely be something for all arrays, and not just for global ones
I have to admit, i still haven't beaten IWBTG