Author Topic: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016 *RESULTS*  (Read 20087 times)

MatthewRPG

Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 06:04:02 AM »
I swear I won't bail out like last time!
Count me in, YoSniper. I heard the contest was starting this so I begun work immediately.

This is what I got so far, can't wait to see what fangames win this year.

Mr Wonderful

• Wannabe
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 48.0.2564.109 Chrome 48.0.2564.109
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 03:20:12 PM »
I feel like using a game you've already made (especially from last year's contest - and one that rated highly already at that) is a cop-out.

Sure, if that person adds a whole new stage and a whole new boss, it's 'as much work' as someone who made a one stage and one boss game specifically for this year's contest - but it's naive to think that the judging for the reused game will not talk one ounce of nor be affected by what was already polished and worked on last year, and to me that sounds unfair.

YoSniper

• Awexome
  • Global Moderator
  • Spike Dodger
  • People regard me as a programming overlord.
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 04:47:26 PM »
I decided to make a video so I can keep the whole debate in one place.

Please voice your opinion in the comments there. I will use those comments as the basis of my decision on Saturday.

I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Twitter: @YoSniperGames
Twitch: yosniper

Streams happen whenever I feel like it.

klazen108

• Administrator
  • The Kid
  • your a kid now your a squid now
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Delicious-Fruit
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 08:46:33 PM »
Stickied this topic. Good luck to all the participants!

YoSniper

• Awexome
  • Global Moderator
  • Spike Dodger
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 48.0.2564.116 Chrome 48.0.2564.116
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 08:38:19 PM »
EXECUTIVE DECISION MADE:

Old game submissions are allowed, as long as all old content is excluded/made inaccessible.
Hopefully, my decision is made clear to everyone. If you're still confused by this, it might just be a better bet to submit a new project.
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

128-Up

• Spike Dodger
  • Lives are an antiquated concept.
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2012 Windows 8.1/Server 2012
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.87 Chrome 49.0.2623.87
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 09:40:23 AM »
I apologise if this is addressed in the video, but when you say "horn" does it have to be a musical horn or can it be, say, a unicorn horn or something?

YoSniper

• Awexome
  • Global Moderator
  • Spike Dodger
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 04:27:43 PM »
I apologise if this is addressed in the video, but when you say "horn" does it have to be a musical horn or can it be, say, a unicorn horn or something?
A musical horn, a unicorn horn, whatever kind of horn you want to use. Just make it clear in the README in case it's not obvious.

zaphod77

• Wannabe
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 07:20:48 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if someone managed to make a game that can't be beaten even with godmode and character mouse movement, just because they can.

I suggest adding two new rules.

1) spoiler file required, explaining facts required to beat the game that may be difficult to discover.
2) if the game cannot be beaten by a judge even with the spoiler file, godmode, and mouse move, then the entry is disqualified.  This should stop any anti-cheat shennanigans programmed in.

just_another_Guy

• Cherry Eater
  • tempest best game
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Glory Hole Foundation
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2016, 02:26:36 AM »
2) if the game cannot be beaten by a judge even with the spoiler file, godmode, and mouse move, then the entry is disqualified.  This should stop any anti-cheat shennanigans programmed in.

This sounds a bit harsh, plus what if the judge himself is incapable of beating the game even with those methods? I dislike the idea, but if it were to be implemented, the majority of judges would have to agree to disqualify the game, not just one guy. The spoiler file sounds like a good idea though in case the game has required secrets or unexplained backtracking.
Private fangame stash (link: private)

YoSniper

• Awexome
  • Global Moderator
  • Spike Dodger
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.110 Chrome 49.0.2623.110
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2016, 04:55:27 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if someone managed to make a game that can't be beaten even with godmode and character mouse movement, just because they can.

I suggest adding two new rules.

1) spoiler file required, explaining facts required to beat the game that may be difficult to discover.
The point of God mode is to guarantee any judge's ability to beat the game. Immortality plus mouse placement was my idea of incorporating this.

The "spoiler file" you mention is basically what I intend for contestants to include in the README file, in addition to obvious explanations of how they implement the creativity rules.

As for games that cannot be beaten with God mode, I make the final decision on whether or not to disqualify them. But personally, I would think that creating such a game where it is impossible to see every last detail (with the exception of any old content for games that may have been submitted to previous contests) would defeat the whole purpose of those rules and thus warrant disqualification.

YoSniper

• Awexome
  • Global Moderator
  • Spike Dodger
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.110 Chrome 49.0.2623.110
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 04:35:09 PM »
First official committed entry was submitted today. Looking forward to the rest!

You still have roughly 3 months to develop your games, and don't forget that even if you submit a game, you can replace it with a later version anytime before the deadline of July 3.

YoSniper

• Awexome
  • Global Moderator
  • Spike Dodger
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 50.0.2661.102 Chrome 50.0.2661.102
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 09:33:23 AM »
Hey guys.

This is just a quick warning that I will be out of touch for a week or so, just in case some of you decide to start submitting.

I'll be back in roughly a week to catch up on whatever I missed.

That deadline is creeping up rather quickly, so please don't delay!

Sincerely,

YoSniper

YoSniper

• Awexome
  • Global Moderator
  • Spike Dodger
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 51.0.2704.79 Chrome 51.0.2704.79
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 04:54:17 PM »
So, with the contest being about 75% done and only one committed entry, and dead silence on this thread and everywhere else I can see, and with my withering patience, I'm seriously considering just cancelling the whole thing.

If you guys can give me a reason why I should see this through to the end, I will do so, but things are looking bleak and I'm finding myself wanting to pull away from fangames entirely.

I'll give it a few days and if nothing materializes, I'll end things.

patrickgh3

• Spike Dodger
  • stay optimistic! :D
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 50.0.2661.102 Chrome 50.0.2661.102
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2016, 06:06:45 PM »
I think it's expected for people to work on their submissions up until the deadline. I personally know some people working on contest games and I'm sure there's more I don't know about. Pieceofcheese and I were planning to make a game, but then we started making the blind race game for the marathon with other people and that took priority.

You could consider being more casual with the administration if it's too much work. The contests are a nice community event to have, and as a bonus they bring in new game makers to our community.

This is more of a suggestion for the future, but I think 4 and half months is too long. A shorter deadline, say 1 month, would make it more approachable to enter. It's less of a commitment, the pressure is lower, you're less likely to get demotivated or fatigued with your game. And it would be easier to move the timeframe so it doesn't overlap with anything, like the marathon this time. It's also easier to manage for both participants and administrators.

YoSniper

• Awexome
  • Global Moderator
  • Spike Dodger
  • Android 4.1.2 Android 4.1.2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 50.0.2661.89 Chrome 50.0.2661.89
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2016, 06:29:36 PM »
It would just be easier for me personally if people would keep me in the loop at least somewhat. When a whole month goes by and no one says anything, I get the feeling that no one is going to enter (except the one guy who did.)

Anyway, if I start seeing evidence of participation, I'll live this contest out.