Author Topic: An Idea for a Fangame  (Read 1833 times)

PlasmaKaboom

• Wannabe
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2012 Windows 8.1/Server 2012
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 50.0.2661.102 Chrome 50.0.2661.102
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
An Idea for a Fangame
« on: June 01, 2016, 04:24:28 AM »
A game with a feature, where every once in awhile you are awarded a token that allows you to attempt a bonus screen. The bonus screens would give you 10 attempts to beat it before it goes away (I imagine the bonus screens being activated with a key on your keyboard so that it does not interrupt your game). The bonus screens start off easy, but get harder the further you go.

You could strategize how you use the bonus levels. For example, you could save a bonus token for when you are at a very hard level in the main game that's giving you trouble, cash it in, beat it, and skip the hard level. Or speedrunners could use it to skip longer screens. Then maybe you could give a secret boss for beating all of the bonus screens.

I don't know, I was just messing around in "I Wanna Record My Jumps" when I came up with this. It seemed like a fun idea. Tell me what you guys think.  :wixSanic:

patrickgh3

• Spike Dodger
  • stay optimistic! :D
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: An Idea for a Fangame
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 05:21:24 PM »
That idea reminds me of the TNT in NANG. It does provide an interesting aspect in speedrunning. I don't know if it gets used in casual playthroughs though. It also reminds me of the glitch levels in Super Meat Boy. Those add a certain sense of mystery to the game. It could be cool to see something like that in a fangame.

If you decide to try this out in a game, i'd be careful of 1. making sure the grind aspect isn't annoying, and 2. making sure it isn't too RNG-dependent for speedrunning. Overall seems like the idea has potential, and trying new things is good!

HAEGOE

• Spike Dodger
  • Why the *beep* they're not in puyo tetris?????????
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2012 Windows 8.1/Server 2012
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: An Idea for a Fangame
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 06:07:40 AM »
So, the bonus screen replaces your current screen, and you have limited chances to do so, and the more you succeed, the harder bonuses will be.. right?

It sonds more like a wild card than a free jail-escape card to me. If you fail you'll end up back the stage you wanted to skip, with more times and deaths. I don't think the concept itself is bad, but I'm not sure if it could be the anti-frustration support.

a.k.a. tasteisgone
pronounciaton of HAEGOE is HAEGWE, not HAEGO.

I MAEK MBOILE GEAMS!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Haegoe.MostPop