Author Topic: Searching for people who would like to help in my project  (Read 2734 times)

Smartkin

• Wannabe
  • Your average nerd
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 47.0.2526.106 Chrome 47.0.2526.106
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Searching for people who would like to help in my project
« on: January 07, 2016, 03:00:40 PM »
Hi. I have been working on my fangame for a bit more than 4 months now and my progress isn't that great. I just started and wanna create a really nice game. But my biggest problem is being original I scrapped lots of ideas because they were already used and came up with one I consider really good. Sadly, game will be really huge and will take a lot of time to make and I have no idea whether I finish it. At the same time I don't want to give up on it. Also, I don't wanna spoil anything about the game so far and wanna make it a mystery until it is fully done because what is the purpose of creating hype if you are not gonna give what you have promised? So I need more people to work with and if anybody wishes to help in one way or another(coding, suggesting games to take sprites from, etc.). I am full of ideas but making them an actual thing becomes more of a torture and making all of this alone becomes boring pretty fast. In advance, thanks to everyone who will just reply or give any sort of advice.  :atkHappy:

Edit2: (removed Edit1) Alright I am set to do stuff and I can do all of this on my own(maybe) but if you still wish to help with anything mentioned above feel free to ask. Skype: smarton19. Discord: Smartkin#1039
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:03:40 AM by Smartkin »
Yuno Gasai is my waifu :^)

(click to show/hide)

lawatson

• The Kid
  • I do things and I make things.
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for people who would like to help in my project
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 03:20:03 PM »
Who knows how good I am in actual game design, but I am pretty confident in my GML skills so you can add me on skype if you want. just type in LAWatson and the one with the crimson profile picture is mine.
(click to show/hide)

smoke weed everyday

patrickgh3

• Spike Dodger
  • stay optimistic! :D
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 05:59:10 PM »
Hi Smartkin. One piece of advice that's often repeated to beginner hobbyist game developers is to start small. Finishing one or a few small games lets you get comfortable with your skills before attempting a bigger game. If you start off with a big game, or your dream game, you run a big risk of getting in over your head and ultimately not finishing it, which is a bummer. In addition, the skill you gain from making a few small games will make your big / dream game be better quality. So, I stand by that advice, especially since you say you just started. This might mean putting this game on hold and making a smaller fangame first, or maybe cutting down the scope of this game; I don't know.

As for working with other people, I think that's a great idea. However, I think it might be hard to find teammates if you don't have any sort of past work to show off. This is where having a game or two under your belt is handy, besides obviously the experience you gained from making them.

As for advice though, I'd say we have quite a few community members that are willing to give you feedback in any area, including design, programming, balance, etc. You can add me on skype as "patrickgh3", I'd be more than happy to try and answer any questions. Sorry for this kinda wordy post. Best of luck making fangames! :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:01:52 PM by patrickgh3 »

Smartkin

• Wannabe
  • Your average nerd
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 07:30:19 PM »
Hi Smartkin. One piece of advice that's often repeated to beginner hobbyist game developers is to start small. Finishing one or a few small games lets you get comfortable with your skills before attempting a bigger game. If you start off with a big game, or your dream game, you run a big risk of getting in over your head and ultimately not finishing it, which is a bummer. In addition, the skill you gain from making a few small games will make your big / dream game be better quality. So, I stand by that advice, especially since you say you just started. This might mean putting this game on hold and making a smaller fangame first, or maybe cutting down the scope of this game; I don't know.

As for working with other people, I think that's a great idea. However, I think it might be hard to find teammates if you don't have any sort of past work to show off. This is where having a game or two under your belt is handy, besides obviously the experience you gained from making them.

As for advice though, I'd say we have quite a few community members that are willing to give you feedback in any area, including design, programming, balance, etc. You can add me on skype as "patrickgh3", I'd be more than happy to try and answer any questions. Sorry for this kinda wordy post. Best of luck making fangames! :)

Thanks for the good luck. I know I probably should have made a small and chill game with nothing too complicated but that is not really how my mind works. I have been lurking in the community for a long time and decided that should contribute in some way. Making big project is gonna be hard nonetheless and I am not going back but again thanks I appreciate any criticism whether it is good or bad, I am pretty open-minded and lazy ;P
Yuno Gasai is my waifu :^)

(click to show/hide)

RebornIsaac

• Cherry Eater
  • ~(´・ω・`)~
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2012 Windows 8.1/Server 2012
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 46.10.2490.86 Chrome 46.10.2490.86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 08:13:36 PM »
Hi there! I'd like to help you on your project, I know a lot about coding and other stuff.
My skype is "reb_isaac", I could help you on anything you need.

Good luck with the project!

L4Vo5

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 48.2.2564.88 Chrome 48.2.2564.88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 02:17:48 PM »
Well, a "small" project = a short game. But you can maybe introduce one or two original and cool mechanics there! Perhaps you can then reuse and fully explore them in your next game
I have to admit, i still haven't beaten IWBTG