Author Topic: Some needle/platforming questions  (Read 3745 times)

3-headed monkey

• Cherry Eater
  • he just...walked right into the spike...
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 27.0 Firefox 27.0
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Some needle/platforming questions
« on: October 16, 2015, 06:46:16 PM »
Would appreciate any answers to these questions:

1. Does using a save point save your align, so you always have the same align when you restart?

2. If you are facing left, does it affect your jump if you jump right, ie. does the change of direction have any affect on the jump?

3. I hear people talking about 1-frame jumps, could someone explain what is meant by this, does it involve jump-cancel or is it a regular jump?  How many frames is the standard gate jump and how many is a full jump?

Thanks!

BaronBlade

• Spike Dodger
  • bees?
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2012 Windows 8.1/Server 2012
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 46.0.2490.71 Chrome 46.0.2490.71
    • View Profile
Re: Some needle/platforming questions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 07:19:53 PM »
1. Saving saves your exact position by the pixel, so your align is saved.

2. There's no effect on the jump aside from having to use different visual cues.

3. One-framing means that you push and release shift on the same frame. Jump-cancelling happens when you release shift twice on the same frame after one-framing. I believe that gates are 4-5 frames (holding shift for 3-4 frames respectively). Not sure exactly how many frames make the kid stop gaining height, probably about 15. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.
bean!

JGBMaster

• Spike Dodger
  • Android 4.4.2 Android 4.4.2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 46.0.2490.76 Chrome 46.0.2490.76
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 07:25:51 PM »
You can also 1frame by fullcancelling. Gates are done by holding shift 5 or 6 frames although we say it's done with 4frames and 5frames since we start counting when The Kid starts jumping (Game Maker takes a frame to make him jump).

Fulljumping your 1st jump is a 23frame and fulljumoing your 2nd is a 19frame.
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/jgb_iw
YouTube: gamemastr97
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jgb_iw
Speedrun.com: https://www.speedrun.com/jgbmaster
Discord: JGB#1037

Denferok

• Community Manager
  • The Kid
  • Administrator
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • My stream
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 07:48:29 PM »
Aligns are saved but not subpixels which are rounded down on restart. With vertical subpixels your subpixel is immediately set to x.4 on the second frame after restarting (assuming you're saved on solid ground). Platforms also swap between vertical subpixels x.0 and x.4 every frame.

3-headed monkey

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 07:53:26 PM »
Cheers for the replies guys, so a 1-frame jump is possible but ridiculously fast. Do people tend to use jump-cancel, v-align etc. in regular needle games, or just keep it for the times when only a jump-cancel will do?

lawatson

• The Kid
  • I do things and I make things.
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 08:57:02 PM »
I'm not sure about others, but I normally don't see a need for canceling or valign tricks in needle games. There's a few exceptions where I feel obligated to use it (such as certain jumps in needles like TAS) and maybe some specific jumps in RMJ, but other than that usually I am set with regular shift presses.
(click to show/hide)

smoke weed everyday

JGBMaster

• Spike Dodger
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 04:47:54 AM »
Basically what Watson said, but you can't know your valigns in 99% of the wiki games so don't worry about them. And if you wanna bunnyhop just keep 5framing (highest jump possible for a gate jump) and then jump as soon as you hit the ground until you get it. You might be confusing vstring with valigns, though. The 2-block trick and other jumps are only possible with a specific vstring, but don't worry much about it either, vstring dependant jumps are only used on really hard needle games and L games.

Regarding jump cancelling, it's only obligatory on really hard needle games and bad games, so if you don't wanna play them there's no need to learn how it works. I personally use jump cancelling a lot and always use rebinds for it because I'm always playing crazy games and testing crazy jumps. :Kappa:
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/jgb_iw
YouTube: gamemastr97
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jgb_iw
Speedrun.com: https://www.speedrun.com/jgbmaster
Discord: JGB#1037

infern0man1

• ~(=^・ω・^)ψ
  • Global Moderator
  • Oatmeal Killer
  • Dear sir stroke madam, fire exclamation point
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 11:46:01 AM »
Basically what Job JGB said; jump cancelling really is needed for only a minute amount of existing jumps, and said jumps generally aren't common in the average needle game.

Also, @BaronBlade, if I recall correctly, GameMaker can't process a press and a release on the same frame; one framing is pressing jump on one frame and releasing it on the next; also, the max jump height is somewhere in the 20s, seeing that the Leehe triple diamond requires a 19-frame jump to pass the first diamond.

Standard gate jumps can be done with 3- to 5-frame jumps if you don't include cactus.

Edit: 900th post hyip

3-headed monkey

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
Thanks very much for the detailed replies guys. That all makes sense, I can forget about the real technical stuff for a while then, from what I've seen it's only games like Butterfly Nova, Insanity and maybe Brute that use this stuff.