Author Topic: I Wanna Be The Studio Engine YoYoYo Edition  (Read 49502 times)

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 51.0.2704.103 Chrome 51.0.2704.103
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Re: I Wanna Be The Studio Engine YoYoYo Edition
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2016, 07:01:50 PM »
Making fangames is an arduous mountain to climb, but I'm sure you will be able to muster the will to read a few pages of text about basic coding. I have faith.

Really though, it's not that complicated. Klazen does a good job explaining stuff.

B0shyl0rd

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Internet Explorer 11 Internet Explorer 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2016, 07:17:44 PM »
I can see that so far (I just finished the first screen and working on the second)

Klaty

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 51.0.2704.103 Chrome 51.0.2704.103
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2016, 06:08:33 AM »
I can see that so far (I just finished the first screen and working on the second)

Good luck!  :atkHappy:
Why do I always miss out on the important stuff.

StuffandThings

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 52.0.2743.116 Chrome 52.0.2743.116
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2016, 12:01:54 PM »
Just got directed here by another member. Really curious to try this engine. Going to have to re-do a ton of things, but hopefully this will help.

Edit: Ok so I tried it out a little, and I'm having a problem with my room. I made a new room "rm_start" and put some triggers and stuff in it to test things out and all was going good, until I tried to use the "applesplosion" script. Now, every time I load into rm_start, the menu screen doesn't go away, and everything on screen remains and becomes a huge blur. I removed the script but I'm still getting this error.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 12:17:31 PM by StuffandThings »

YoYoYoDude1

• Wannabe
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2016, 09:13:35 AM »
OK, I'm on it.(I mean the topic)

I'm using this engine, and this is quite satisfactory and convenient, especially with MD5 save encryption that is available only on studio. However, it could be better if these are improved:
- I wish I could easily change the number of bosses and hidden items in game.
Current version they're both set to 1 to 8, and changing them from 0 to 10 was harder than I expected; I could find the variables and set it myself, but not without errors because of undefined variables.
- The creators would want to choose if their game keeps the secret items when they die without saving.
Sometimes it can be an unnecessary and unintended skip that creators want to fix.
- It's maybe because GMS update issue, but I experienced this glitch : when I use MD5 encryption, the game said the file's corrupted when I didn't even touch the save, and when I reset the 'corrupted' file, it didn't reset correctly. It sent me to the start of my fangame, but it kept my time, deaths, and secret items, etc.

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the suggestions! I just updated the engine to v1.32 with both of these options implemented and a few other minor changes/fixes.

geogeo222

• Global Moderator
  • Wannabe
  • Hello o/
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • My twitch stream
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2016, 06:14:36 PM »
(Edit: I've been told this issue I'm posting about is due to the old version of Studio that I'm using, so you can probably disregard this.)

Hey Yoyo, I've noticed a really strange quirk in your engine which is that when you jump on the same frame you land to do a bhop, much of the time you will get a rejump instead of a regular, full jump. I am positive this is happening because even if I use my 2nd jump in the air, if I then jump on the same frame I land I will get yet another rejump, and the rejump sound will play. I've also noticed that 4.5s are much harder in this engine, which I'm guessing is attributable to this.

Do you know about this, and can shed some light on it? If not, well... what the heck. I thought such a thing would be caught in short order. But that's ok, I just hope you can get it solved because I consider this a glaring issue
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:19:32 PM by geogeo222 »
Hey TJ! Turn it up :Kappa:

bananaguy12mhc

« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2016, 06:48:41 PM »
I'm not sure this will understand, but the physics in this engine feel strange compared to 8.0 and 8.1 engines. So I am wondering if anybody knows why...
(click to show/hide)

edit: I hope this is not a stupid question...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:33:16 AM by bananaguy12mhc »

StuffandThings

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2016, 10:01:53 AM »
I'm not sure this will understand, but the physics in this engine feel strange compared to 8.0 and 8.1 engines. So I am wondering if anybody knows why...
(click to show/hide)

I noticed that the jumping seemed a little slow (at least compared to IWBTG), so I tweaked the jumpspeed and gravity  a bit.

patrickgh3

• Spike Dodger
  • stay optimistic! :D
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2016, 03:34:52 PM »
I noticed that the jumping seemed a little slow (at least compared to IWBTG), so I tweaked the jumpspeed and gravity  a bit.

The standard fangame physics are much different than the original IWBTG, and for the better. People in the community are used to these physics, and 99% of the time when they're changed people dislike the game (notable exceptions: Take the Time Machine 2 and Justice Guy). Fangames are the new physics standard, not IWBTG anymore. So, you're strongly advised not to change the physics unless you really know what you're doing and know that fangame players skill and taste will transfer over to the new physics.

(click to show/hide)

It's not a stupid question, many people have reported that studio just feels a little "different" than 8.X, and it's hard to pinpoint. I vaguely remember that studio games could have a different Vsync setting then you're used to, so try changing the Vsync in the options of studio games. It'd be great if people found an answer and a fix for this, but a few people have searched with no luck. Someone like Klazen, please elaborate/correct me on this! :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:38:17 PM by patrickgh3 »

StuffandThings

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2016, 01:32:19 PM »

The standard fangame physics are much different than the original IWBTG, and for the better. People in the community are used to these physics, and 99% of the time when they're changed people dislike the game (notable exceptions: Take the Time Machine 2 and Justice Guy). Fangames are the new physics standard, not IWBTG anymore. So, you're strongly advised not to change the physics unless you really know what you're doing and know that fangame players skill and taste will transfer over to the new physics.

I only tweaked it a small amount, but it does seem consistent with the fangames I have played. I will be releasing a demo for it, so the community can check it out and see how it feels.

YoYoYoDude1

• Wannabe
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2016, 05:14:20 AM »
Alright, I just put up another update (v1.40) which fixes a few very minor issues and now includes in addition a lighter version of the engine which simplifies the engine and cuts out extra resources/features for people who want to work with a more bare-bones base without a bunch of settings and example objects.

Also, if you haven't heard, Humble Bundle currently has a bundle that includes GM Studio Pro and a few modules with a bunch games + source code for really cheap! https://www.humblebundle.com/gamemaker-bundle
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 05:35:47 AM by YoYoYoDude1 »

Zapmunk

• Wannabe
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 31.0 Firefox 31.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2016, 01:06:58 PM »
Just a heads up, there's a small memory leak every time you die. Turns out that ds_map_write leaks a couple kb of ram every time you call it. json_encode and json_decode don't leak though.

StuffandThings

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 53.0.2785.143 Chrome 53.0.2785.143
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2016, 02:46:02 PM »
Another thing I noticed is that when "game over" shows up on screen, it isn't centered. It appeared much lower on the screen and got cut off at the edge screen so I had to adjust that. Not sure if anyone else had that problem.

WetWookie

• Cherry Eater
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 49.0 Firefox 49.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2016, 03:06:48 PM »
Another thing I noticed is that when "game over" shows up on screen, it isn't centered. It appeared much lower on the screen and got cut off at the edge screen so I had to adjust that. Not sure if anyone else had that problem.

This happens if you create a new room instead of duplicating the template room. The template room has some view settings already set correctly that will be wrong if you make a new room instead.

YoYoYoDude1

• Wannabe
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 53.0.2785.143 Chrome 53.0.2785.143
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2016, 12:26:54 AM »
Just a heads up, there's a small memory leak every time you die. Turns out that ds_map_write leaks a couple kb of ram every time you call it. json_encode and json_decode don't leak though.
Thanks for the heads up! I just posted an updated version (v1.41) with this and a couple of other fixes.

Also, for anyone who has already released a game with this engine on an older version of GM Studio (v1.4.1757 or older), be careful if you release an update of your game on the newly released Studio version (v1.4.1763) because they changed the way ds_map_write works a bit so that older saves will no longer work correctly with the newer versions. This makes it so that newly compiled versions of your game won't be backwards compatible with saves from previous versions.