Author Topic: Collective Thread for forums errors / improvements  (Read 12723 times)

Holyanus

Re: Collective Thread for forums errors / improvements
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 07:12:19 PM »
Please fix it Star  :BibleThump:

Reply Code: Alpha

• Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 05:45:55 PM »
I just figured the forums should be darker or there should be an option to have everything be black with white font like the 4chan Tomorrow visual style, I really like that one because standard is just too mainstream and too bright, it is hurting my eyes. ;C

Also @ Paragus, you should rename your thread on IWBTF into something like "abandon IWBTF, migrate to FC" or "the better forums" or "the forums mods don't want you to know about". Well, maybe something less aggressive. Just make it so lurkers can actually see that the thread will provide a link to another board!
I've rearranged the reply code.
Your planet will be spared.
I cannot be certain of my own calculations anymore.

TheJooger

• Cherry Eater
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 25.0 Firefox 25.0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 05:11:25 PM »
This may just have something to do with the server you guys are on, and therefore may be out of your control, (Hell, it may just be my internet connection), but oftentimes I find myself getting hit with a 503 or 500 error.

infern0man1

• ~(=^・ω・^)ψ
  • Global Moderator
  • Oatmeal Killer
  • Dear sir stroke madam, fire exclamation point
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 30.0.1599.101 Chrome 30.0.1599.101
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 05:12:48 PM »
I've never gotten a 500 error, but I almost always get a 503.

Wolsk

• The Kid
  • Wolsky McKitty :3
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 30.0.1599.101 Chrome 30.0.1599.101
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 10:36:54 PM »
I really don't know why so many forums have a "Sent Messages" tab that never works properly.
If I send a message, I want to be able to read it again when I get a response.

fixitfixitfixitfixitfixitfixitfixitfixitfixitfixitfixitfixitfixitfixitfixitfixitfixit
meow :3

Why are you complaining about being a meme? this is a positive thing

infern0man1

• ~(=^・ω・^)ψ
  • Global Moderator
  • Oatmeal Killer
  • Windows 8/Server 2012 Windows 8/Server 2012
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 33.0.1750.146 Chrome 33.0.1750.146
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 06:46:42 PM »
This has really been bothering me with my OCD:

(click to show/hide)

And when I go to that board, 8 pages of nothing:

(click to show/hide)

Zero-G

• [+--oo]
  • Alumi
  • Spike Dodger
  • Administrator
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • My twitch channel
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 09:34:28 AM »
only from page 3-6 . i will see what i can do

HAEGOE

• Spike Dodger
  • Why the *beep* they're not in puyo tetris?????????
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 07:01:55 PM »
I'm not sure if it's error or not, but I have something to report. Guests was posting in one of the the Other languages board, and some of the guests were even attempting to starting a new topic there. I thought we should log in here to write in every board..

edit : after writing this, I saw a guest writing here, too. It looks like guest is doing whatever I'm doing, or the server perceives so.(Though I never tried to make a new topic here

Here: :RedCoat:

-infern0man1

edit by myself(HAEGOE): For comparison - :Kappa: :IceFairy: :FrankerZ:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 07:55:44 PM by HAEGOE »
a.k.a. tasteisgone
pronounciaton of HAEGOE is HAEGWE, not HAEGO.

I MAEK MBOILE GEAMS!
httpss://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Haegoe.MostPop

infern0man1

• ~(=^・ω・^)ψ
  • Global Moderator
  • Oatmeal Killer
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Safari Safari
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 11:51:06 AM »
The Red Coat emote has an opaque.

:RedCoat:

Edit: Going to Edit HAEGOE's post above to show ya a little better.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:54:18 AM by infern0man1 »

patrickgh3

• Spike Dodger
  • stay optimistic! :D
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 42.0.2311.135 Chrome 42.0.2311.135
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 06:14:40 PM »
A few things:

I wish the website and forums had a favicon. Right now it's sometimes a page, and sometimes the youtube favicon for me. I made this one real quick (C for community):

It would be nice to have some options for color schemes on the forum. This has been suggested several times. I don't know how easy or hard it is to implement, but it would be nice.

I previously suggested that specific Game Maker questions be put in their own sub-board to clean up the Game Design board and help people find useful posts, in this thread. Consider this a bump for that thread.

Thanks! I would also be willing to do this stuff myself if I had the privileges.

patrickgh3

• Spike Dodger
  • stay optimistic! :D
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.81 Chrome 43.0.2357.81
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2015, 01:31:06 PM »
Bump for my previous post. A favicon would be nice. And I strongly desire the Game Maker help questions to be put in their own group, since they make actual important posts in Game Design impossible to find. Also, I don't want to come across as pestering; I would be willing to put in the work to figure out how to do all this stuff if I had the privileges. Thanks forum team!

A few things:

I wish the website and forums had a favicon. Right now it's sometimes a page, and sometimes the youtube favicon for me. I made this one real quick (C for community):

It would be nice to have some options for color schemes on the forum. This has been suggested several times. I don't know how easy or hard it is to implement, but it would be nice.

I previously suggested that specific Game Maker questions be put in their own sub-board to clean up the Game Design board and help people find useful posts, in this thread. Consider this a bump for that thread.

Thanks! I would also be willing to do this stuff myself if I had the privileges.

Starz0r

• Owner
  • The Kid
  • Administrator
  • Hall Of Fame
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 45.0.2421.0 Chrome 45.0.2421.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2015, 09:01:48 PM »
Bump for my previous post. A favicon would be nice. And I strongly desire the Game Maker help questions to be put in their own group, since they make actual important posts in Game Design impossible to find. Also, I don't want to come across as pestering; I would be willing to put in the work to figure out how to do all this stuff if I had the privileges. Thanks forum team!

A few things:

I'll look into it, as for a favicon, I'm still looking into it and will probably find something soon.

nops

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 39.0 Firefox 39.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2015, 05:32:37 AM »
For delicious-fruit, how about adding a real "top fangames" feature? It should be interesting for new players who don't know where to start. I know you can just go on the full fangame list page and sort by rating, but there are a few problems with that:
 - it doesn't take into account the number of ratings per fangame, which means I can just rate any new fangame 10/10 and it'll end up first on the list
 - the averages themselves don't take into account the "average rating" of people who reviewed it: for example, a 10/10 from someone who rates all his games 10/10 should weigh less than a 10/10 from someone whose rating average is around 5/10. A way to solve this problem is to use a formula like: average game rating = (sum of abs(user_x's game rating - user_x's average rating)*user_x's rating) / (sum of abs(user_x's game rating - user_x's average rating))

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.132 Chrome 43.0.2357.132
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2015, 01:55:30 PM »
For delicious-fruit, how about adding a real "top fangames" feature? It should be interesting for new players who don't know where to start. I know you can just go on the full fangame list page and sort by rating, but there are a few problems with that:
 - it doesn't take into account the number of ratings per fangame, which means I can just rate any new fangame 10/10 and it'll end up first on the list
 - the averages themselves don't take into account the "average rating" of people who reviewed it: for example, a 10/10 from someone who rates all his games 10/10 should weigh less than a 10/10 from someone whose rating average is around 5/10. A way to solve this problem is to use a formula like: average game rating = (sum of abs(user_x's game rating - user_x's average rating)*user_x's rating) / (sum of abs(user_x's game rating - user_x's average rating))

Although this isn't posted in the correct thread, I can answer it here anyway!

To address your 'top fangames' suggestion - this, unfortunately, is much harder to implement than expected. A variety of reasons limit this suggestion to nothing more than checking certain users' clear/rated lists.
-Everyone has varying opinions on "the top fangames." This is the entire point of the site - to let you rate your favorite games high, and your not-so-favorites low.
-There is no concrete "top fangames" list. If you ask me, I have a list. If you ask Klazen, he has a list. If you ask anyone else, they have their own lists. These lists may have the same games or drastically different ones. Hell, maybe my favorite game is one of your LEAST favorite! This completely defeats the purpose of the "top fangames" list, as it is very subjective.
-Sorting by ratings is the best way to find the top fangames. Yes, 1 review that is 10/10 will obviously skew results. However, if you play through that game and do not like it and rate it 5/10, all of a sudden that game is now at 7.5/10 and no longer at the top. You can directly contribute to how well a game does on the top ratings list, which is the entire concept behind del-fruit.
-We are not willing to limit someone's ability to rate games. If someone goes around and rates 4 games 10/10 and 4 games 0/10, we are not going to make their review count as "less." This punishes users for taking an active role in our community. To combat the trolls on the site, Klazen and I have been actively monitoring reviews. We have removed reviews that we have deemed as "spam" or "troll", regardless of their rating. I can confidently tell you that we are on the lookout for this exact behavior. We reserve the right to remove anyone's account/posts/reviews at anytime, as stated by the ToS on account creation, and we have done so on multiple occasions to combat this exact problem.

I hope this helps! If you want to continue this discussion, have a question or comment, or have another suggestion, you can do so here: https://www.iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=1386.0

-TJ&Klazen

infern0man1

• ~(=^・ω・^)ψ
  • Global Moderator
  • Oatmeal Killer
  • Android 4.4.2 Android 4.4.2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.94 Chrome 45.0.2454.94
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 11:35:39 PM »
I noticed just recently that the English caption for the language sub board for Português is Brazilian; while this is technically correct, it should be Portuguese.

Also, while it doesn't entirely matter, there's no English caption for the Russian sub board.