Author Topic: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!  (Read 93383 times)

klazen108

• Administrator
  • The Kid
  • your a kid now your a squid now
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 48.0.2564.103 Chrome 48.0.2564.103
    • View Profile
    • Delicious-Fruit
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Re: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!
« Reply #165 on: February 11, 2016, 10:01:52 AM »
I think I've seen maybe one bot sign up (had a name like vuittonhandbags or something, I can't remember), but I'm pretty sure we just left it because it never posted anything. So far, I have yet to see a spam review. I believe they may be able to find the registration page if they're lucky, but since the website is completely built from scratch, there's no "how to hock your wares on delfruit" tutorial available for bot writers. So, the bots don't know how to work the site, they fail and they give up.

Bots work by crawling the web, attacking any IP they can get a response from. As soon as they figure out there's a server there, they start checking to see if there's a phpbb or smf forum installed, or a wordpress blog, or any of the other common web applications you can put on a server. They also scan for pages that look like registration pages, maybe like "/register.php". The goal for the bot owners isn't to break into every site out there, but rather to find as many vulnerable sites as possible - it's a bit like throwing spaghetti at the wall, and waiting to see if any sticks.

This isn't unique to webpages either - on the new server I'm moving delfruit to, I see tens of malicious login attempts over SSH (the server admin interface) on the server every hour. Bots, just scanning the internet for any server that will answer them, and then spamming common passwords hoping one of the thousands of servers they're scanning will open up for them. However I stopped using passwords and switched to a cryptographic key, and auto ban any machine that tries to log in to the default admin account instantly, or that fails 3 times to log into a standard admin account. It's a bit like watching moths fly into a bug zapper - pretty amusing!

Anyway, I got sidetracked on a rant, but the point of my post is that delfruit is pretty safe against bots simply because it doesn't fit the website pattern the bots expect. But that doesn't mean it's safe forever - it's only safe because the bot writers don't consider it a high enough profile target to write a custom bot for!

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 48.0.2564.109 Chrome 48.0.2564.109
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 11, 2016, 11:30:12 AM »
The joke's on all of you. I've been using a bot to write my reviews all along!

Also, I don't know if this is related to the maintenance somehow but the Bingo link is broken.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 11:33:33 AM by Kyir »

klazen108

• Administrator
  • The Kid
  • your a kid now your a squid now
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 48.0.2564.103 Chrome 48.0.2564.103
    • View Profile
    • Delicious-Fruit
« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2016, 05:07:57 PM »
Also, I don't know if this is related to the maintenance somehow but the Bingo link is broken.

Sorry, forgot to migrate the bingo part over in all the commotion. Everything should be done now, if you encounter any more issues of course you know where to send your complaints! If you don't see the new site yet please be patient, it may take some time for your ISP to realize the site moved.

With the new site, we finally have automatic wiki pulling again, so your games should make it to delfruit within 8 hours of the wiki updating!

Also, I've added a "Games" tab to your profile, so you can see the games for which you've been registered as owner. It works for others too, check someone's profile to see the games they made!

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 48.0.2564.116 Chrome 48.0.2564.116
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 29, 2016, 01:37:09 PM »
This is more of a musing than a serious suggestion for practical changes, but I wonder if the site would be better off in terms of quality input if there weren't the simply rating/difficulty sliders there are now. Either in terms of having more specific but still numeric ratings (one for graphics, one for platforming, etc etc,) or just not having any quantifiable results at all. There are still downsides to both obviously, but it's just always a little weird to open up the website and see that someone made 30 reviews in about 2 seconds each because they consider those two sliders the only important things.

I guess this is really just still in the same vein as everything else that irks me, which is particular people clearly don't put a whole lot of thought into their reviews.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:42:42 PM by Kyir »

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2016, 10:27:53 AM »
This is more of a musing than a serious suggestion for practical changes, but I wonder if the site would be better off in terms of quality input if there weren't the simply rating/difficulty sliders there are now. Either in terms of having more specific but still numeric ratings (one for graphics, one for platforming, etc etc,) or just not having any quantifiable results at all. There are still downsides to both obviously, but it's just always a little weird to open up the website and see that someone made 30 reviews in about 2 seconds each because they consider those two sliders the only important things.

I guess this is really just still in the same vein as everything else that irks me, which is particular people clearly don't put a whole lot of thought into their reviews.

Just so I'm clear on this suggestion - you are saying that the difficulty and rating bars are too general, such that it does not give a good insight into the game's actual difficulty or perceived rating? There would have to be a "sub" rating under the two bars that are given at the moment to help "justify" your rating, but I believe that's what the comment box is for. If we add more scales, does it get more confusing? If we add sub-bars to the existing ones, should the sub-bars weight what rating you give it?

The most important question, however, is this: What is valued so much that it warrants its own slider? To you, it might be the platforming, the storyline or progression of the game, or maybe just the visuals. To someone else, it might be how many bugs the game had, how long the game was, or how much fun they had overall. This will drastically vary from person to person, and I really do not see a "general" bar to rate on besides that is already listed on the site. The 'rating' of the game is just ambiguous enough to have your own interpretation. The 'difficulty' rating is a little more straightforward, but those also vary quite a bit, dependent upon what you are looking for.

As stated, I believe the comment box below your rating is the best place to explain why you rated a game X/10. Did you primarily judge the platforming? The music? Visuals? Or maybe you do not want to explain why you rated a game X/10, and would rather just give it your rating and move on. To some people, those two bars are the only thing that matters, which will not change if we add more bars, or sub-bars. It all boils down to preference, something that we have tried to keep open on Del-Fruit.

I will keep this suggestion in mind, but at the moment, I am leaning more towards the "keep the current system" side of the discussion unless a better case is presented.

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2016, 12:18:33 PM »
I just want to clarify that it was not a serious suggestion with the intent to make a case for change, just idle speculation on a theoretical solution to the phenomenon of people submitting a ten or twenty essentially meaningless reviews at a time. That is to say, I'm almost entirely certain that any change intended to try and wring better reviews out of people would fail in practice, but could be interesting in theory. After reading your post, I would agree that having multiple sliders would end up being an equally pointless endeavor, as they would either be too vague to be useful, or too specific to have only a few of them. One possible upside would be ease of use for any possible venture into a multilingual site (since it's easier to translate the names of sliders than entire reviews,) but I doubt that outweighs the negatives right now.

In general, I would also prefer it if people just used the text box for its intended purpose, but it seems pretty clear that some people have no interest in doing so.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:25:55 PM by Kyir »

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.75 Chrome 49.0.2623.75
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 03, 2016, 09:48:16 AM »
I just want to clarify that it was not a serious suggestion with the intent to make a case for change, just idle speculation on a theoretical solution to the phenomenon of people submitting a ten or twenty essentially meaningless reviews at a time. That is to say, I'm almost entirely certain that any change intended to try and wring better reviews out of people would fail in practice, but could be interesting in theory. After reading your post, I would agree that having multiple sliders would end up being an equally pointless endeavor, as they would either be too vague to be useful, or too specific to have only a few of them. One possible upside would be ease of use for any possible venture into a multilingual site (since it's easier to translate the names of sliders than entire reviews,) but I doubt that outweighs the negatives right now.

In general, I would also prefer it if people just used the text box for its intended purpose, but it seems pretty clear that some people have no interest in doing so.

It is certainly a neat idea and would work wonderfully in theory, but I fear the large majority would not use it properly, or at all for that matter. The multilingual point you bring up is interesting, I had not considered the effects of a change like that on non-English readers. I think it would ease a translation of rating between languages, so this is definitely an upside to a change like that.

All in all, it is certainly something to consider if there is ever a demand for a change like that. We will keep it in the back of our minds for now! Of course, we encourage everyone to "think out loud" about changes to Del-Fruit so we can discuss the possibility of such changes. There are no stupid questions or wrong answers here! ...unless you keep asking us to make a game un-private what the hell guys

Edit: Yes, I wish people would use the text box for its intended purpose, too :(

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2012 Windows 8.1/Server 2012
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.110 Chrome 49.0.2623.110
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2016, 10:46:13 AM »
Hello Del-Fruiters!

We have very exciting news for this month's featured Wannabe! Can you guess who it is?

This month's featured streamer is ... the ever-famous Kamilia!

Kamilia's desire to produce quality content for the wiki has vastly outdone the Western community's attempts at making anything nearly half as good. Kamilia is known for being involved in the production of the most popular, most liked, and most fun game series known as "Kill the Kamilia" ... 1, 2, and 3! Arguably the best fangame player to ever grace I wanna be the guy games, this multi-talented individual has earned himself a spot on the Wannabe of the Month. In fact, to honor such a tremendous achievement for an incredible player and producer, the following 12 months of this award will go to Kamilia without any contest, effective immediately. You can find him over at www.twitch.tv/kamilia_twitch, so give him some love!

Congratulations, Kamilia!

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 01, 2016, 11:44:47 AM »
And now we wait till tomorrow to see if this is an april fools prank or not?

3-headed monkey

• Cherry Eater
  • he just...walked right into the spike...
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 45.0 Firefox 45.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 01, 2016, 04:10:47 PM »

no, warned
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 04:16:36 PM by infern0man1 »

Swordslinger

• Sectional Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 01, 2016, 04:15:43 PM »

it seems unlikely, everyone knows you shouldn't take the piss out of anyone in the Asian communities, you might bruise their sensitive souls and they might make all their games private.

Was that racism really necessary?
A Random Signature

3-headed monkey

• Cherry Eater
  • he just...walked right into the spike...
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 45.0 Firefox 45.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2016, 04:26:36 PM »
Was that racism really necessary?
[/quote]

certainly not racism but an unfair generalisation born of frustration, my apologies

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2012 Windows 8.1/Server 2012
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2016, 11:30:06 AM »
We hope you all enjoyed Del-Fruit's April Fools joke!

Introducing the real Wannabe of the Month... Wolsk!

A great variety streamer on The Wannabes, Wolsk's stream is the spice of life. With silly Steam games galore, Wolsk's entertaining chat and stream will keep you hooked for hours (he even has scheduled days like Throwback Thursday and Wiki Roulette Friday). On top of that, his fangame skill is sure to impress - all while making sure you are sedated with CatBags and hand-drawn FrankerFaceZ. In fact, you've probably already seen some of his emotes, such as the infamous WolskSellout ... you really should follow him.

Congratulations, Wolsk!

Wolsk

• The Kid
  • Wolsky McKitty :3
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2016, 10:01:40 PM »
Wow!
Wow!
Wow!
Chat disabled for 2 seconds.
Wow!
meow :3

Why are you complaining about being a meme? this is a positive thing

Hop

• Wannabe
  • HopPros on Twitch
  • Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mac OS X 10.9.5
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.112 Chrome 49.0.2623.112
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 12, 2016, 07:54:38 PM »
It would be cool if you could see the amount of clears on a game like you can see how many people have favorited it.