Poll

Do you like this idea?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Team application  (Read 8685 times)

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 38.0.2125.104 Chrome 38.0.2125.104
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Re: Team application
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 11:12:54 PM »
I know I'm the extreme minority here, but I don't like the nomination system. I'll try to back my vote up with a few pieces of evidence:

1. Nominations are biased. Of course, a majority needs to "like" the applicant for that applicant to be accepted, but something doesn't feel right about it. Friend groups can lobby for each other, which I can see as ending poorly in some situations.

2. This relies on the forums to vote. The forums, themselves, aren't as active as other community sites. While this is unfortunate, it also hurts the voting system. Members that only check the forums once a month (or so) may not get a chance to vote - and in a small community like our own, every vote counts.

3. I believe the initiative needs to come from the streamer, not the community. A streamer needs to have enough initiative to come to the forums (or whatever) and post an application. Maybe through this we could publicly host a vote on an application, but I think that relying on the community to nominate streamers is not involving the streamer enough. If a streamer takes the time to fill out an application, they have shown that (at the very least) they express interest in joining. Relying on community members to nominate you seems ... off.

That's just my justification for why I voted no here. I know its literally the only no vote, so I expect flak for it. Thanks.

Edit: Because I'm going to be asked "what do you suggest then," here's the process that I would adopt, and this is what I've used for teams I've captain'd in old FPS leagues:

1. Player expresses interest in group. Interacts with community somewhat frequently over a given time span.
2. Player fills out a set application with genuine answers to questions regarding their availability, their interests, etc.
3. Application is handled by a moderator (or equivalent) first. This person quickly reviews the app to make sure it is legitimate and not a troll app.
4. If given the ok, application is then posted in a part of the forum (or equivalent) for all current members to see and approve/deny.
5. No comments may be given to the player directly - all discussion takes place within the forum (or equivalent) amongst members.
6. At least 60% of the community must agree on the application, with a minimum of 20 votes. No set time for application decision, typically a few days after 20 votes have been reached.
7. If player is accepted, welcome to the team. If not, that player may try again after a probation period of 3 months. After 3 months, they may submit another application.

This does involve some dedication from the community, but ultimately puts less emphasis on us and more emphasis on the player/streamer. They need to make the decision to apply - sometimes not an easy task! My process is similar to Zurai's in that the community ultimately votes on if they're in or not...but I cut out the nomination stuff. Yes, I know I'll get flak for this. I'd be more than happy to help run applications if this process is considered, I used to do it all the time for a very active FPS team (100+ members, at least 5 applications a day at its peak).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:24:54 PM by tehjman1993 »

Wolsk

• The Kid
  • Wolsky McKitty :3
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 05:21:41 AM »
That's pretty similar to how admin applications work in another gaming community I'm in, but again, the problem is that we don't have a lot of forum interaction and need to find a way around that.  We could possibly make a Skype group for all the Wannabes and ask there or maybe make a forum post and send Twitch messages to everyone on the team saying to check the forums.  I do agree that making the player apply on their own is better, though.  Dunno why you'd expect to get flak when your idea isn't going super against everything.  I treated the "yes" option as a "Yes, I want the community to vote on new members" rather than a "Yes, the nomination system is what we have to do."
meow :3

Why are you complaining about being a meme? this is a positive thing

Zurai

• Community Manager
  • Spike Dodger
  • Administrator
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 38.0.2125.101 Chrome 38.0.2125.101
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 05:45:31 AM »
I really like your idea TJ! Don't downplay your own suggestions dude  :atkHappy:

I pretty much agree with every point in your post and I think this is the way we should go.

So what has to be done is:

-Create a Team Board which is ONLY viewable by the Team-Members so we can share our thoughts about the applicants
-Get in contact with each other (maybe a Skype group?)
-Promote every wannabe on the Forum so he can access the new Team-Board
(-Overhaul the application system/requirements?)

Still feel free to post your thoughts about this Topic tho!
Stop by and say hello at www.twitch.tv/zurairofl :PogChamp:

Denferok

• Community Manager
  • The Kid
  • Administrator
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • My stream
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 01:34:56 PM »
Sounds good tj

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 07:22:45 PM »
I really like your idea TJ! Don't downplay your own suggestions dude  :atkHappy:

I pretty much agree with every point in your post and I think this is the way we should go.

So what has to be done is:

-Create a Team Board which is ONLY viewable by the Team-Members so we can share our thoughts about the applicants
-Get in contact with each other (maybe a Skype group?)
-Promote every wannabe on the Forum so he can access the new Team-Board
(-Overhaul the application system/requirements?)

Still feel free to post your thoughts about this Topic tho!

I'm glad there's been positive feedback about my idea, but it's nothing new - only really copy/pasted from "normal" team applications, with some minor changes.

Regarding the forum issue - there needs to be a way to organize the forum to have a Wannabes-only application room. I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing this on these forums, but hopefully that can be worked out somehow. If the forum issue is fixed, then we're set to go at any time once the application is done. I'd recommend using google docs (or some equivalent) as a way of submitting applications, so the link to the google doc is linked in the Wannabes-only application room for us to review.

Wolsk

• The Kid
  • Wolsky McKitty :3
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 38.0.2125.102 Chrome 38.0.2125.102
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
Regarding the forum issue - there needs to be a way to organize the forum to have a Wannabes-only application room. I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing this on these forums, but hopefully that can be worked out somehow.
That's probably the least of our issues when it comes to voting.
The biggest problem is getting people to actually come to the forums.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:30:35 PM by Wolsk »
meow :3

Why are you complaining about being a meme? this is a positive thing

petsson12

• Spike Dodger
  • I'm addicted to cats
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • my livestream yo
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 02:15:06 PM »
Is there actually someone working on this?
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa